Speculation: Craziest trades that almost happened

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I would have to say the Price/PK/Pac for Lecavalier trade is the craziest trade that never happened.

Jesus you believe that nonsense from Lawton? The guy is still bitter about being publicly called out for leaking details about Gainey offering up Plekanec, Higgins and Gorges.

Montreal Canadiens coach Bob Gainey confirmed he was in discussions with the Tampa Bay Lightning mid-season about acquiring Vincent Lecavalier but that he had a confidentiality agreement with the Lightning.
A report at the time suggested Chris Higgins, Tomas Plekanec and Josh Gorges heading to the Lightning in exchange for the highly sought after Lecavalier, who was born and raised just outside of Montreal.
At a news conference Thursday, Gainey said it was Tampa general manager Brian Lawton and its club’s ownership group who made the names involved in a potential trade public in early January. Gainey called it “disgraceful” that the confidentiality agreement was broken and that the three Canadiens’ players had to read that they were being considered for a trade.

Gainey blasts Bolts GM Lawton - Sportsnet.ca

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Glad that didn't go down as it's disgusting bad for the Leafs.

Speaking in hyperbole will only make you sound dumb, like a Trump supporter tbh. A top pairing dman for a top 6 forward and late 1st is not a crazy offer, especially given that Kapanen was unproven at the time. Give your head a shake and feel shameful for your actions and then re-evaluate your outlook on things.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Maybe not so much crazy as interesting......

In 1995, St. Louis GM Mike Keenan had a deal in place to send the Blues' 1996 1st round pick to Washington for Jason Allison. But Blues ownership declined to approve the trade since St. Louis had been named the host of the 1996 Draft (and perhaps they didn't want to deal another first round pick after having given up their previous five for Scott Stevens/Brendan Shanahan).

St. Louis would end up using that pick on Marty Reasoner. Years later, Keenan would end up coaching Jason Allison in Boston. Allison would have his peak seasons with Keenan. Those late 90s/early 00s Blues teams were pretty good, so it's interesting to imagine if Allison instead of Reasoner would have been enough to get them through that Dallas/Colorado/Detroit mine field in the West.

But in 2001, Allison was up for a new contract which Boston wasn't prepared to pay. Allegedly Mike Milbury offered up the same package to Boston that he had for Alexei Yashin (2nd overall pick, Zdeno Chara, Bill Muckalt). The rumor was that new Boston GM Mike O'Connell wanted Dave Scatchard instead of Muckalt, which led to Milbury pulling the trigger on the Yashin deal. Years later O'Connell would sign Scatchard, but would trade him 16 games into a four year contract.

Last edited:

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Oilers' Comrie must pay for trade | CBC Sports

One of my favorite ones is Anaheim agreeing to trade Corey Perry and a 2004 1st round pick to Edmonton for Mike Comrie. But Kevin Lowe was annoyed with Comrie, so he would only do the trade if Comrie paid the franchise 2.5 million (presumably the signing bonus from his original contract).
After reading that, I find it difficult to understand how Edmonton continues to falter as a team. :sarcasm:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Speaking in hyperbole will only make you sound dumb, like a Trump supporter tbh. A top pairing dman for a top 6 forward and late 1st is not a crazy offer, especially given that Kapanen was unproven at the time. Give your head a shake and feel shameful for your actions and then re-evaluate your outlook on things.

Top pairing in Vancouver =/= top pairing defenseman.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006

Watch out for the shards while throwing rocks from inside your glass house.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He'd play on the top pair with Rielly in Toronto, given their chemistry from the WC a few years back and not allowing a goal against during their TOI.

Yeah I don't think that putting a 43% CF (-4.6 relative to the rest of Vancouver's garbage defense) player on the top pairing is something that would help us. Tanev might have been good defensively at one point, but he hasn't been in 2-3 years.

And that's ignoring the fact that he's a sneeze away from being on the IR for another few months.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Yeah I don't think that putting a 43% CF (-4.6 relative to the rest of Vancouver's garbage defense) player on the top pairing is something that would help us. Tanev might have been good defensively at one point, but he hasn't been in 2-3 years.

And that's ignoring the fact that he's a sneeze away from being on the IR for another few months.

Thank you for conveniently explaining his 43% CF in the same sentence, now I don't have to provide context for it. And lol @ thinking Tanev wouldn't replace Hainsey on Toronto's top pairing.

It's fine if you don't want Tanev though, Canucks reportedly want to hold on to him to pair him with Hughes so moving him really isn't a priority at this point.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Staple says Snow rejected a Hall for Hamonic + deal because the isles had just lost 3 popular forwards to the ufa market (KO,Martin,Nielsen) and Snow worried he would lose the locker room if he moved the popular Hamonic.

No idea what the + would have been, but Hamonic was the key piece leaving LI.

Damn Snow

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Hertl + 9th overall in 2015 (could have been Barzal or Rantanen) for Oshie and Shattenkirk supposedly would have happened if Meier weren’t available. Imagine how the Sharks would look now if they’d done that. Yoiks.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Panthers tried to get Fedorov from the Wings multiple times back during his hold out in 1998

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There was a rumour on the Avalanche board that Dorion and Roy agreed to Chabot+Zibanejad for Duchene at the 2016 draft, but Sakic nixed it.

Chabot's value skyrocketed that year, and Zibanejad continues to be a solid top 6 center who always seems to be on the cusp of that next level.

It worked out in the end for Colorado, but Chabot might be a better piece than the 2019 pick if it doesn't end up top 2 or 3.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
I know this one was debated a lot as to its truth or not, but just before Burke was fired from Toronto apparently he was ready to deal Bozak, Kadri and a first for Luongo.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Hertl + 9th overall in 2015 (could have been Barzal or Rantanen) for Oshie and Shattenkirk supposedly would have happened if Meier weren’t available. Imagine how the Sharks would look now if they’d done that. Yoiks.

There was also a rumour from J.D. Burke (who cited a source from the Canucks organization) that San Jose offered a top 10 pick for Ryan Miller in the summer of 2015. I highly highly doubt that was the entire offer, as I'm sure Vancouver would have had to send additional assets such as their 1st round pick, but still crazy if true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad