Speculation: Craziest trades that almost happened

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Thank you for conveniently explaining his 43% CF in the same sentence, now I don't have to provide context for it. And lol @ thinking Tanev wouldn't replace Hainsey on Toronto's top pairing.

It's fine if you don't want Tanev though, Canucks reportedly want to hold on to him to pair him with Hughes so moving him really isn't a priority at this point.

What do you mean provide context? He's getting outshot more than the rest of that defense, that's not a good thing.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
It worked out in the end for Colorado, but Chabot might be a better piece than the 2019 pick if it doesn't end up top 2 or 3.

It could end up that way. People on here overvalue draft picks like crazy. There have been quite a few top five picks the last ten years or so who never made it, or if they did busted.

I think people sometimes forget where Duchene was picked as well.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don't think it was ever considered by Tampa (especially with a new owner in place), but Colorado's pursuit of Vinny Lecavalier in 1998 is an interesting story. I seem to recall Colorado GM Pierre Lacroix openly professing his love for French Canadian players. He started to maneuver to get a shot at Lecavalier a couple years in advance.

June 1996: Stephane Fiset and a 1998 1st round pick to Los Angeles for a 1998 1st round pick and Eric Lacroix (his son)

November 1996: Landon Wilson and Anders Myrvold to Boston for a 1998 1st round pick

November 1996: Chris Simon and Curtis Leschyshyn to Washington for a 1998 1st round pick, 1998 4th round pick, and Keith Jones

November 1997: Mike Ricci and a 1998 2nd round pick to San Jose for a 1998 1st round pick and Shean Donovan

The crazy thing is that Boston/LA/San Jose/Washington had picked 1st/2nd/3rd/9th in the 1997 Draft and now Colorado owned all four of their picks for 1998 while only seemingly giving up complementary pieces. But by a small miracle, all four teams improved drastically the following season so Colorado instead netted picks 12/17/19/20. Lacroix allegedly offered all four picks (and possibly some other pieces) for Lecavalier but was rebuffed.

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
The funniest part of this one is that when it was first rumored, the first response was "no way is it a one for one, St. Louis needs to add here." But Hall went 1 for 1 for Larsson, so it likely was a 1 for 1.

We can speculate but no one knows for sure. I'd think Larsson would have had more value since he can actually play defense.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Edmonton 2nd to Boston for signing Chia dumbass .

Shit that happened seems like a nightmare that sooner or later I will awake from .

Reactions: Dan403

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
On June 20, 1992, at the onset of the 1992 NHL Entry Draft, the Nordiques entered into a verbal agreement on a trade involving Lindros with the Flyers. The trade was contingent on Lindros agreeing to play in Philadelphia. The Nordiques permitted Russ Farwell, the general manager of the Flyers, to call Lindros to discuss whether or not Lindros would be willing to play for the Flyers, and he received assurance that Lindros considered Philadelphia to be acceptable.[19] Within 80 minutes of agreeing to a trade with Farwell, Marcel Aubut, the president of the Nordiques, had second thoughts about the trade with Philadelphia and verbally agreed to trade Lindros to the New York Rangers.[20][21][22] The Flyers offer was reported to include Mike Ricci, Rod Brind'Amour, Mark Recchi, Steve Duchesne, Ron Hextall, Dominic Roussel, multiple first-round draft picks, and $15 million, while the Rangers had reportedly agreed to trade Sergei Nemchinov, Tony Amonte, Alexei Kovalev, James Patrick, and either John Vanbiesbrouck or Mike Richter, as well as multiple first-round draft picks and $20 million.[23]

The Flyers claimed that the Nordiques had reneged on their agreement, and filed a complaint with the NHL.[19] The NHL appointed Larry Bertuzzi, a lawyer from Toronto, as the arbitrator of the conflict.[24][25] Bertuzzi held a five-day hearing after the 1992 draft, in which he reviewed over 400 pages of handwritten notes and called 11 witnesses, including Lindros.[11][20]

On June 30, Bertuzzi announced that he had determined that Quebec's agreement with the Flyers was enforceable.[23][26] He considered Farwell's phone call with Lindros to be "critical" in making his decision. Bertuzzi also found the Rangers to be innocent of any wrongdoing.[20] The finalized trade had the Nordiques acquire Hextall, Duchesne, Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Peter Forsberg, a first-round pick in the 1993 NHL Entry Draft, $15 million, and future considerations.[11] As the agreed-upon trade included the Flyers sending a 1992 draft pick to Quebec which Philadelphia instead kept because the trade was not yet finalized, Bertuzzi helped the teams agree that the Flyers would send Chris Simon and a pick in the 1994 NHL Entry Draft to Quebec to compensate for the 1992 draft pick that the Flyers kept[27] and used to select LW Ryan Sittler. The Nordiques selected Jocelyn Thibault with one of the picks, while they traded the second draft pick, which the Washington Capitals used to select Nolan Baumgartner.[28][29]

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
In terms of deals that almost happened, Burke and Chiarelli agreed to a swap of Kessel & Kaberle at the 2009 draft, but both thought the other was adding a 1st to the deal and it fell apart.

Also, back in like 2001 or 2002 the Bruins and Leafs agreed on a deal involving Jonas Hoglund at the trade deadline, but the Leafs' fax machine jammed so the paperwork didn't get to league offices before the deadline and Bettman nixed the deal.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Kessel for Kapanen, Andersen, Matthews , Spaling, Greenway, Rychel *.
That would have been just nuts.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
There was also a rumour from J.D. Burke (who cited a source from the Canucks organization) that San Jose offered a top 10 pick for Ryan Miller in the summer of 2015. I highly highly doubt that was the entire offer, as I'm sure Vancouver would have had to send additional assets such as their 1st round pick, but still crazy if true.

They traded their 1st in the next year's draft for Jones, so it's not crazy, but more would have to be added.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
In terms of deals that almost happened, Burke and Chiarelli agreed to a swap of Kessel & Kaberle at the 2009 draft, but both thought the other was adding a 1st to the deal and it fell apart.

Also, back in like 2001 or 2002 the Bruins and Leafs agreed on a deal involving Jonas Hoglund at the trade deadline, but the Leafs' fax machine jammed so the paperwork didn't get to league offices before the deadline and Bettman nixed the deal.

Both are true. Though the first one IIRC it was Kessel for Kaberle and the Kadri pick which Burke declined after realizing the mixup. Looking back on it, would've been less painful than Seguin + Hamilton + Knight picks for Kessel and Kaberle's return (Colborne, 1st , 2nd which the leafs squandered, and Wheeler was their other target)

Bond

May 10, 2012
I want to know the other trades Treliving was considering for Hamilton that were close. I think Philly was in the mix and so was another team.

Reactions: Dan403

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I want to know the other trades Treliving was considering for Hamilton that were close. I think Philly was in the mix and so was another team.

For the original Hamilton trade: the picks that turned into barzal, Beauvillier and Siegenthaler

Reactions: SourTemplePilot

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Del Zotto for Stamkos was really close to happening
It was 2-3 players from the following list "Michael Del Zotto, Evgeny Grachev, Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky and Dan Girardi."

No matter how you add that up, it's terrible.

Reactions: Lays

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad