Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Why did he agree to come here? Next season is flush it year unless they convince Marner to waive. I am not sold at all that he is the one that will make a difference and get the core guys to execute in a playoff series.

I think a portion of Leafs fans are more critical of the roster than the majority of the hockey folks in the league.

There's not a coach out there who doesn't want to get his hands on a guy like Matthews

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Berube was the consensus best candidate available and has the coaching pedigree to instill the culture change that is required. Now it's up to Treliving to continue adding players to the roster that will align with that philosophy.

Have to give some time to Tre to undo dubas' sabotage or Kyle DupedUs garbage

Although I gotta say I was really hoping somehow we got on Coach Q but Berube is the 2nd best option after Q as far as I am concerned given whats available

Btw I wouldn't mind seeing Boudreau in an assistant role working on Leafs' PP

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Why did he agree to come here? Next season is flush it year unless they convince Marner to waive. I am not sold at all that he is the one that will make a difference and get the core guys to execute in a playoff series.

so who do you believe is?
who did you think was going to come in in your words a flush year just to get fired again then hire whomever?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
For @notbias
Winning a cup say you did a coos job as a coach, winning 1 series in years, not so much, so please tell me how berube didn't so his job well.

and for your pleasure:
Binnington had a .914 sv% in the cup run. That's 9th out of the last 11 cup winning goalies. So didn't ride a hot goalie. If you watched them they had great structure defensively and vicious a counterattack.

2020 boumeester collapsed in the season on the bench and covid killed their run where they were in contention for the president's cup, lost in the 1st round.
The next season they lost pie and Dunn for nothing and was a .500 team.
Next season they had a 109 point season and lost the the avs in the 2nd round but husso was horrible in net, sub .900 iirc
His last season with the blues Armstrong either was trying to retool or something. Perron O'Reilly Schwartz all gone for nothing.

Kind of going off memory here so please feel free to correct any of the details.

Seems if he has talent, he will do a good job. Also most likely he is here to change the culture of the dressing room. All sounds good to me.

So your turn. What's wrong with him?

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Are our players good again? I can never keep up.

A .657 is still less than Keefe's average.

The Berube hire is fine... but this doesn't seem like a homerun.
Of the available coaches, who would you have hired?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
For @notbias
Winning a cup say you did a coos job as a coach, winning 1 series in years, not so much, so please tell me how berube didn't so his job well.

and for your pleasure:
Binnington had a .914 sv% in the cup run. That's 9th out of the last 11 cup winning goalies. So didn't ride a hot goalie. If you watched them they had great structure defensively and vicious a counterattack.

2020 boumeester collapsed in the season on the bench and covid killed their run where they were in contention for the president's cup, lost in the 1st round.
The next season they lost pie and Dunn for nothing and was a .500 team.
Next season they had a 109 point season and lost the the avs in the 2nd round but husso was horrible in net, sub .900 iirc
His last season with the blues Armstrong either was trying to retool or something. Perron O'Reilly Schwartz all gone for nothing.

Kind of going off memory here so please feel free to correct any of the details.

Seems if he has talent, he will do a good job. Also most likely he is here to change the culture of the dressing room. All sounds good to me.

So your turn. What's wrong with him?

There is nothing wrong with him, he is a very "meh" hire, but he was one of the best available.

Basically, what you said is he needs a stacked team to win.

We don't have that... our players have been called losers for the past month, they aren't good enough.

Of the available coaches, who would you have hired?

It feels like just shuffling chairs... I don't care which coach was hired, there were no amazing coaches out there.

I am far more concerned with the roster being constructed than anything else.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
The best option available right now, can’t complain really. Excited to have a new voice behind the bench. Hopefully we continue to see changes!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
There is nothing wrong with him, he is a very "meh" hire, but he was one of the best available.

We don't have that... our players have been called losers for the past month, they aren't good enough.

It feels like just shuffling chairs... I don't care which coach was hired, there were no amazing coaches out there.

Everyone needs a stacked team to win the cup. What this team lacks is 1 a coach that can adjust the system to counter the other team rather than just rolling the same thing and expecting different results and 2 a shift in the culture in how they play the game.
Berube will bring both those things

Reactions: BayStBullies

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
We don't have a fast team and most of the free agents had low hockey IQ last year, it doesn't seem to be as valued with our management team... so if his forechecking system requires that, we will need to change it or Tre will have to address the issues there.
Yep - something will need to give.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011

Yep. If the core remains, results will be similar.

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
The amount of hate on here for a guy who's a 100pt player and plays all around game is crazy... I hope berube and trev keep marner.

Reactions: REALTALK81

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

1715983879892.png

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I think a portion of Leafs fans are more critical of the roster than the majority of the hockey folks in the league.

There's not a coach out there who doesn't want to get his hands on a guy like Matthews
Ya, it's not too often a perrenial playoff team lead by players in their prime have coaching vacancies. This would very well be the go to destination for a coach looking to land.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
What is the difference betwee Mike Babcock and Craig Berube as a coach?

Is Berube a good systems coach?

I know he is a hard ass like Babcock was.

Babcock had an absurd ego and was power hungry though and a manipilator. Hopefully Berube can be a hard nose coach with strong systems that help the team next year while maintaining a sense of normalcy in a coach - player relation

I think Lou and Babcock worked well together. Then dubas ruined the leafs to begin with stupid contracts and the goalie fiasco; then there was struggle with babcock; dubas-keefe didn't do F all except ruin leafs' draft capital, cap space and tavares' prime (and matthews too btw...)

Berube is Teliving's coach. I am sure they would have to see eye to eye for Tre to hire Berube in terms of play style, personnel, culture and on ice cohesion

In terms of coaching style I don't think there is much of a difference in terms of player management there would be difference though given babcock's history of treatment of players (note though that not all players had problems with babaock)

I am genuinely curious now as to what becomes of marner if he half asses near the boards; berube would lose his shit :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad