Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
So fanboy sources. Doesn't say much if the "journalist" has no credentials. Not that it would if they did have them.

Let's just watch and see what happens.

Maybe we'll be begging to get Keefe back, but I really doubt that.

I don't know any background of any issues with this "fan boy" but the top link was based around an actual quote from Berube. It's nice to see those sentiments and philosophy from him directly in his own words.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I think Matthews wins like 100% of puck battles and is near the top in hit and blocked shots among our forwards. He is a Selke Finalist...and he led the league in goals and the team in points. He has won a Hart Trophy and was in consideration this year. Three Richards.

You think his effort is lacking?

I don't think it's the craziest thing to say that sometimes he is coasting out there.

No one is out there giving 100% every shift. If they were, we wouldn't notice such a dramatic change in playoff hockey.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I think Matthews wins like 100% of puck battles and is near the top in hit and blocked shots among our forwards. He is a Selke Finalist...and he led the league in goals and the team in points. He has won a Hart Trophy and was in consideration this year. Three Richards.

You think his effort is lacking?

I can’t tell if I’m taking crazy pills or just watching a different game than some of these people. Effort wise he digs in more on D and in the little detail oriented stuff than MacK or McD, the reason those two go further in the playoffs is that they regularly 1v5 the entire other team and make plays that had no business succeeding. Matthews makes shots that have no business going in and he’ll have flashes of that 1v3 brilliance but he’s not doing it on a regular basis game in game out like the other two, that’s the entire difference. It’s not an effort thing, he just doesn’t have mutant freak of nature skating like they do.

If he could float at the blueline and be a near guarantee to bury it every time he got the outlet pass I’d rather him play rover like McD any day, someone else can block shots after the red light goes off. If you ran a full 60 minute game of a Matthews unit against one of those two, even if the Matthews unit played a flawless responsible D game, ran a perfect grinding cycle offensively, got takeaways, had blocks, made hits, did everything as perfect as you could expect, it would still take just 3 or 4 bounces where they have a single stride on you to still lose that game. That’s not on effort that’s on what the good lord gave you.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsGuy16

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
If you really believe Matthews lacks these things I question if you have ever watched him play

Yes. He is far and away the best in the league at each and every one of those things.

You're right. Realistically, there is just nothing, absolutely nothing more that Berube could get out of him.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
1726359940960.png

Reactions: rumman

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I can’t tell if I’m taking crazy pills or just watching a different game than some of these people. Effort wise he digs in more on D and in the little detail oriented stuff than MacK or McD, the reason those two go further in the playoffs is that they regularly 1v5 the entire other team and make plays that had no business succeeding. Matthews makes shots that have no business going in and he’ll have flashes of that 1v3 brilliance but he’s not doing it on a regular basis game in game out like the other two, that’s the entire difference. It’s not an effort thing, he just doesn’t have mutant freak of nature skating like they do.

If he could float at the blueline and be a near guarantee to bury it every time he got the outlet pass I’d rather him play rover like McD any day, someone else can block shots after the red light goes off. If you ran a full 60 minute game of a Matthews unit against one of those two, even if the Matthews unit played a flawless responsible D game, ran a perfect grinding cycle offensively, got takeaways, had blocks, made hits, did everything as perfect as you could expect, it would still take just 3 or 4 bounces where they have a single stride on you to still lose that game. That’s not on effort that’s on what the good lord gave you.

Maybe I am underrating Nylander.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Saw a quote recently. He wants a tough physical and fast team. We were fast at one point but getting tough and physical out of this core would be quite an accomplishment. Good luck Craig

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Saw a quote recently. He wants a tough physical and fast team. We were fast at one point but getting tough and physical out of this core would be quite an accomplishment. Good luck Craig
Not sure how Leafs play that type of game if Marner is still quarterbacking the perimiter play we endlessly see.

I remember when Matthews was drafted he was talked about as "can stick handle in a phone booth" and that's exactly what we got, what happened to that?

I'm really interested to see the team this year, genuinely.

Reactions: Leafs87

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I don't think it's the craziest thing to say that sometimes he is coasting out there.

No one is out there giving 100% every shift. If they were, we wouldn't notice such a dramatic change in playoff hockey.
I agree, but to say that sometimes he is coasting is bar that is too high for anyone. I think he gives as much effort as the other three or four best players in the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad