Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
TBH I'm not on the Berube fan bus, I wanted Coach Q. Berube is the guy we got so I'm hoping for the best.

You aren't in reality if you wanted Q. He would never be an option here for political reasons and our media would blow it up. The hockey world would immediately use it as a chance to hate on the Leafs.

This is like saying I didn't want Tanev I wanted Makar

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
True, or it can be the driving force behind us finally going deep in the playoffs. The Leafs brass very likely considered all this when they hired him. If they didn’t think it would improve the team I can’t see how they make this call.

My perspective on this is that it will take some time for players to adjust and the results show. They will be building up throughout the season imo.
Have you seen the Leafs brass? They are a total mess. That’s why we are in the mess we are

Reactions: TimeZone

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
how has he already lost the room when he hasn't even been in the room

Obviously, it was tongue in cheek!!!

I'm looking forward to a better prepared team.
So many have written off the team "run it back???" but seem to be ignoring the players might be the same but driving the 18 wheeler has been handed over to someone who has conquered the "Coque."

Reactions: Confucius

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Going to be interesting to see how much impact Berube can have on a fatality built team with toooooo much Cap in just 4 forwards leaving the bulk of the team unchanged.,

That topic came up today..

Aaron Korolnek and Dave Feschuk discussed this topic on "First Up 1050":​
"A storyline that we don't have a handle on yet, because he's a man of few words, is how Craig Berube is going to change things. What is it gonna mean to have Craig Berube as your head coach? Because let's face it here; when you look at what the Maple Leafs have done, it hasn't been the kind of makeover that a lot of people expected - and I think a lot of people, including myself, think the Maple Leafs need - but without that makeover, you're putting a lot on the coach to change things.

If you can't change the players, you gotta change the tone, you gotta change the mentality, you gotta change the way this team plays hockey in it's biggest moments and that's a lot on Craig Berube to do it in a very short amount of time here. The 6 months of a regular season is not a long time and we hear a lot of teams saying "oh we need a lot more time to gel together with a new coach and a new system" and nobody wants to hear that in Leaf-land, people wanna see it work fast, people wanna see results in the here and now, people wanna see change. I'm not sure you're gonna get it but it's on Craig Berube to deliver it."

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Berube and the new coaching staff need to figure out why our PP has been so awful in the playoffs.
This has been arguably the most shocking thing considering the overall talent we can ice 5 vs 4.

This is PP% in the playoffs since 2020

Screenshot (1500).png

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Pretty good read from everyone’s favourite sports writer, I couldn’t help but be full of hope after reading it, but the reality is that most likely this team eats up and spits out Craig like so many others. Why anyone would consider coaching here is beyond me, enjoy………..

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I believe that as a team they will excel under Berube. Who do we think may struggle a bit under him? (hopefully we'll get some honest answers)

Reactions: Roo

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Pretty good read from everyone’s favourite sports writer, I couldn’t help but be full of hope after reading it, but the reality is that most likely this team eats up and spits out Craig like so many others. Why anyone would consider coaching here is beyond me, enjoy………..

This team eats up Craig and retains all his wisdom and power and gain immortality. Same way mega man does with all the bosses but in a non killing them way.

• Haha
Reactions: rumman

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

So many have written off the team "run it back???" but seem to be ignoring the players might be the same but driving the 18 wheeler has been handed over to someone who has conquered the "Coque."
I do predict a "Fire Berube" thread in the first 5 or 6 games of the season. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: ULF_55

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

in the dead of winter...........

Reactions: ULF_55

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville

LOL @ the last sentence of the article, "He stopped listening to outside noise many years ago."

Simmons is the noise hahaha

Reactions: OddyOh

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Going to be interesting to see how much impact Berube can have on a fatality built team with toooooo much Cap in just 4 forwards leaving the bulk of the team unchanged.,

That topic came up today..

Aaron Korolnek and Dave Feschuk discussed this topic on "First Up 1050":​

Is there any way to change it up?

Sure, stop putting the same players together over and over and over an...

Maybe add 3 new defensemen, someone who can replace Hainsey. For gawd sakes Hainsey is 43 years old, Laverne and Shirley any decent talent scout can find some stay at home shot blocking defender with reversed aged, like 34?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Berube and the new coaching staff need to figure out why our PP has been so awful in the playoffs.
This has been arguably the most shocking thing considering the overall talent we can ice 5 vs 4.

This is PP% in the playoffs since 2020

View attachment 904625
Two of the players on PP1 just doesn't shoot the puck at all in the PP. Our so called net front presence tends to stay on the side of the goalie to make re-direct tips rather than in front of the goalie to screen and tip shots.

I believe that as a team they will excel under Berube. Who do we think may struggle a bit under him? (hopefully we'll get some honest answers)
I think our beta chokers will all struggle under Berube if he coaches the team like the Blues. Balance and aggressive.
I do see Domi playing a more dominant leader on the ice role under Berube.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Two of the players on PP1 just doesn't shoot the puck at all in the PP. Our so called net front presence tends to stay on the side of the goalie to make re-direct tips rather than in front of the goalie to screen and tip shots.

I agree. I think we need to develop a PP1 and a PP2, possibly with Matthews playing one and half of those.

Nylander
Matthews
Domi
Knies
OEL

and

Robertson
Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Liljegren

Maybe Pacioretty in there if he makes it. Let Reilly and Tanev focus on ES minutes.

I guess the PK would be

Kampf
Jarnkrok
McCabe
Benoit or Hakanpaa

Marner
McMann
Tanev
OEL

...not sure about the PK.

Reactions: Gabriel426

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
They just need to get heavier, faster, bigger, and better.

The plan is starting to make sense now. I don't know why they didn't try that before. Small, slow, sluggish, and sloppy is expected of me in bed but not for a competitive hockey team.

Thank god my wife has lower expectations than Berube.

Speaking of wives the best thing to do if your wife is yelling at you is to tell her to be quiet. I've been married more than once so I know what I'm talking about. If you don't believe me try it and see for yourself.

If that doesn't work just tune her out like the players eventually do coaches.

To be honest I'm a little surprised Treliving went with Berube. He went with the stick in Calgary and things didn't end well there. Once upon a time these pampered millionaire athletes here had a hard noser for a coach too.

If I remember correctly he asked them to play a heavier faster game.

• Haha
Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm not sure anyone is going to really struggle.

If I were to guess, maybe Auston and Morgan.

These are the annointed leaders, Morgan I can see suck it up, but Auston's 90% effort likely won't cut it.
On the flip side, if Berube can cure 34 of not showing up on a regular basis it would be nice, guy’s got all the talent in the world and still thinks that entitles him to mail it in on a semi regular basis. Everyone whines it was a shame he didn’t get to 70 goals last year, if he actually showed up every game he probably would have gotten 80 goals………

Runaway coach of the year winner.
Wanna bet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad