Coyotes Tempe arena project rejected by public referendum - will remain at Mullett Arena for 2023-24

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
But the NHL will probably make concessions to a Houston project. They will blow off prospective locations that want to fit the bill and court locations that aren't willing to go all-in, if its a city that they decided they want. I could totally see this happening in Houston.

Also. Why is Hamilton such a no-go zone because the Leafs wont allow it. But Dallas will supposedly be totally fine with Houston ? Another glaring contradiction that shows the bias for US teams. The NHL decides on cities it wants and then makes up reasons why other cities wont work.

Oh of course we cant have Hamilton. Dilution bruh. But Houston wants a team? Coming right up....

Not sure you're aware of the distance between Houston and Dallas. I'll put it this way, the drive from Toronto to Hamilton is just about the same as a flight from Dallas to Houston in terms of duration. The drive is damn near 4 hours between the two cities, there just aren't the territorial concerns with a team in Houston for Dallas that exist with a team in Hamilton for both Toronto and Buffalo. It's like arguing that a team in Boston should have a say over a team going into the NYC market.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Arizona as a market is a better option than Salt Lake City. SLC has a metro population of 1.1 million according to Google, and already has an NBA team that has an established fanbase and MLS.
Shit Kansas City would work better. Only 500k people but an NHL team would run uncontested essentially all season since the Chiefs being a one time a week thing 8-10 times a year shouldn't be enough to cause problems.

Reactions: HisIceness

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Arizona as a market is a better option than Salt Lake City. SLC has a metro population of 1.1 million according to Google, and already has an NBA team that has an established fanbase and MLS.
Winnipeg is not a great market either, but guess what? They got a team because they were there, ready when Atlanta came crashing down in flames. If Salt Lake City is ready, but Houston or KC aren't, that's what they will do. They can't drag this out forever until the perfect situation comes up.

Reactions: DaveG

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Have you seen the Oakland A's?
Oakland was also willingly sabotaged by their owner so he had carte blanche to move them.

Go back as little as 5 years ago and the A's were drawing big crowds on a nightly basis. It wasn't until they firesaled for the 40th time this century (and by fire sale i mean strip it right down to the hole the foundation was put in) with no purpose other than to piss people off is when things went bad. Can't say anything similar for the Yotes.

Arizona has been passed from clown to clown for 20 years now. Not the same situation.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Coyotes got so much league support because they had a good arena. If a team loses an arena they are gone.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I do not see either happening...20 years or more ago I could see league going to a southern state or ANY state where a team already exists but now I do not see it so Houston is out. Atlanta I cannot see happening again
Las Vegas isn't particularly far north and has a warm climate.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
It's not the Leafs, but the Sabres who stopped Hamilton last time, as they were within their sphere of influence - 65 mi. Houston is far further - well over 200 mi., so there is no issue.

We all know that TML could sell out their arena 5 times over. I don't see them getting in the way of another team in the area, as long as it wasn't right in Toronto. Hamilton seems perfect, as it has a distinct, separate identity from Toronto, but Markham or Oshawa would also do, and i believe they are far enough away for Buffalo not to have the right to nix a team.
Understood. But all the commissioner apologists and wise guys trot out dilution every time they want to lecture us about why X Canadian city wont happen. And yet, through all this smoke about Houston getting a team-and there's been a lot of it for years- it has never been mentioned once that I know of.

Reactions: Team Bring It

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
We did back in the 80's, when we were 60% of the size, and the surrounding areas had a much smaller population. We sold out 10,000 season's tickets in 48 hours. Even back then it was a no brainer, but the Sabres wouldn't let it happen.

It's long overdue.

As someone who grew up in Quebec, and still visits family there every year... Quebec City doesn't have a fraction of the grass roots support and money available that southern Ontario does. Quebec, on the whole is a declining province in terms of hockey, money, and overall population, compared to Ontario.

A Quebec team would depend on government involvement, and that can, and will, change with the wind.
living in hamilton, can agree, it would be a huge hit here. Hate going to toronto spending 400$ for garbage seats to see the leafs lose lol

These Are The Days

I need about tree fiddy
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Problem is you need 2 expansion teams and Houston was one so not sure what they'd do then. Probably Quebec and Salt Lake but someone is moving conferences

Well that's just faithful dreaming. Get the Coyotes to Houston now. They're move-in ready and the fanbase will go absolutely nuts for hockey there. I want to see hockey in Quebec City again but you're right about the changing of conferences if the Coyotes went there. No one can afford to do that. Just expand to Quebec City and put the other in Portland or Salt Lake City

If you do that the NHL will be about as close to perfect as it can be

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
At least they now have a relocation plan.
Yeah, but yesterday they only had 2,064 people in a stadium of 53k places. It's early in the season, it'll get worse. (btw, I'm not blaming the fans, I wouldn't show up either for a gutted team that might fall below .200)

We'll hear about it soon imo, Winnipeg was announced just before the Stanley Cup final started, something similar could happen again.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
1684343575416.png

Clayton Keller's dad just dropped some heat on Twitter

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Winnipeg is not a great market either, but guess what? They got a team because they were there, ready when Atlanta came crashing down in flames. If Salt Lake City is ready, but Houston or KC aren't, that's what they will do. They can't drag this out forever until the perfect situation comes up.

Winnipeg doesn't have an NBA franchise, which was the point I was making

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad