Rumor: Coyotes still in market for Top 4 defenceman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Columbus is stronger at center than Arizona is. We can survive with our D, as-is, but if you subtract Hanzal from our line up, we quickly become a complete train-wreck up-front.

Fair assessment. Is Strome still a year away or is the thinking that he will be in the lineup this year? I also thought hanzal, as other combos of prospects not in the upper tier probably don't get you a defenceman that's better than what's currently on the field. Maybe wiz gets a pto with you guys?

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Strome probably makes the team but he's never played a pro game in his life and will need to be eased in. Preferably with Hanzal drawing top opposition (likely our 1st line C with Domi and Duclair) and Antoine Vermette playing the shut-down role with Tobias Rieder and another defensively responsible winger(I'd like to trade for Tommy Wingels or Matt Read). Freeing Strome up to play with a couple of vets who can knock in goals and do dirty work (I'm thinking Jamie McGinn and Shane Doan). Keep that trio away from opposition top scoring lines and top checking lines.

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
McGinn-Strome-Doan
Rieder-Vermette-*AorB*
Martinook-Richardson-White

OEL-Murphy
Goligoski-Stone
Connauton-Schenn
Dahlbeck-Michalek

A. Wingels???
B. Read???

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
No chance Strome, Keller, or Dvorak go. Dauphin? Sure. MacInnis? Sure.

Any chance at getting both(Duaphin and MacInnis)?
Shatty would easily be the second best D man on your team and top pairing D men don't come cheap.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Nah. That 2nd is too early and too valuable for either. If we had Chicago's 2nd or Pittsburgh's 2nd somehow than sure. But I think an Arizona 2nd is too much for Streit or Read. I think most people would agree.

And that may be next year....so let's make it a 2nd in 2018. Gives an extra year for the AZ kids to develop.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
How about signing Kris Russell?
Let's go over to forum=44 together and ask Stars if the Kris Russell they saw last season is a top-4 defenseman.

Where does Kris Russell fit into the Coyotes LHD depth chart?

Professional
OEL (3 years, then UFA)
Alex Goligoski (5 years, UFA)
Kevin Connauton (2 years, UFA)
Klas Dahlbeck (1 year, RFA)
Jarred Tinordi (1 year, UFA)
Justin Hache (1 year, RFA)
Dakota Mermis (2 years, RFA)

Junior
Jakub Chychrun
Kyle Capobianco
Cam Dineen

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
If Keller or Strome aren't available, then Arizona is not in the running for Shattenkirk (re-signed, obviously). I don't think Arizona loses much sleep over this.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Maybe if our 2nd was 50-60 but it's 30-40 so I'd pass. I wouldn't part with Rieder by himself for that pair of players. They'd be good fits but they aren't really assets. One is old as hell and the other has an out of whack bucks to production ratio for a broke team like us. The fact that Streit's actually salary is so low kind of makes up for Read's inflated salary. I'd maybe offer a '17 2nd and an '18 3rd for the pair.

Read ($3.625m cap hit, $4m salary) + Streit at 50% ($2.625m cap hit, $1m salary) + 2017 2nd or prospect

for

Rieder + Michalek ($3.2m cap hit/salary).

Then the Flyers sign Reider to a two year bridge deal at $3m AAV.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Yotes going for a pending UFA like Shattenkirk when they aren't a contender makes no sense.

Yotes finished out the playoffs last year and 2 worst in the league the season before. Not enough has changed for them to become a playoff team this year.

By trade deadline they should be looking to max out the returns on Hanzal, Vermette, Michalek and Stone.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Arizona will be the destination for the supposed Avs FO failure that is post arbitration Barrie. That is why they locked up Murphy and Stone so that the Avs could get one of them in return :naughty:

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Read ($3.625m cap hit, $4m salary) + Streit at 50% ($2.625m cap hit, $1m salary) + 2017 2nd or prospect

for

Rieder + Michalek ($3.2m cap hit/salary).

Then the Flyers sign Reider to a two year bridge deal at $3m AAV.

Rieder is the only real asset there. The rest is just moving stuff around.

EDIT: just noticed the 2nd - which helps.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
If Keller or Strome aren't available, then Arizona is not in the running for Shattenkirk (re-signed, obviously). I don't think Arizona loses much sleep over this.

Look at what Yandle returned from the Rangers. Now cut that in half. You've found Shattenkirk's value. Stop believing you're going to get one of the best prospects in the world.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Stone+what?

With Stone, I would think a very good young forward, but that would be a deal for January since the Avs wouldn't be able to extend Stone until then (and wouldn't likely want to lose him to FA). they also would get a chance to see his play post injury first. I do think Stone would fit the Avs preference in Dmen quite well however.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
With Stone, I would think a very good young forward, but that would be a deal for January since the Avs wouldn't be able to extend Stone until then (and wouldn't likely want to lose him to FA). they also would get a chance to see his play post injury first. I do think Stone would fit the Avs preference in Dmen quite well however.

If we have Stone healthy, playing well, and open to a reasonable extension by January, what incentive do we have to add a "very good young forward" to him, just to get Barrie? Barrie is all of one year younger, and while he produces more points, Stone is more verstile(can be counted on for PK support) and much bigger and much meaner (really our only D the last two years who throws his weight around and plays a pissed off game).

Would I pay a pretty decent price to trade Stone for Barrie? Sure. But that's largely because Stone does have the injury to recover from and we don't have clear answers on the contract situation. If all of that gets squared away, I'm no longer willing to add much of anything to Stone to get Barrie. In fact, maybe nothing at all. We know that Stone fits well on this team and with this coaching staff. Barrie is an unknown. I'm not sure it'd be worth the risk to move Stone for Barrie at all in January is he's recovered and happy to talk extension. What would be the point? 10-15 extra even strength points per season? Nah.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
If we have Stone healthy, playing well, and open to a reasonable extension by January, what incentive do we have to add a "very good young forward" to him, just to get Barrie? Barrie is all of one year younger, and while he produces more points, Stone is more verstile(can be counted on for PK support) and much bigger and much meaner (really our only D the last two years who throws his weight around and plays a pissed off game).

Would I pay a pretty decent price to trade Stone for Barrie? Sure. But that's largely because Stone does have the injury to recover from and we don't have clear answers on the contract situation. If all of that gets squared away, I'm no longer willing to add much of anything to Stone to get Barrie. In fact, maybe nothing at all. We know that Stone fits well on this team and with this coaching staff. Barrie is an unknown. I'm not sure it'd be worth the risk to move Stone for Barrie at all in January is he's recovered and happy to talk extension.

Fair enough, and I actually was being somewhat facetious about the Avs FO being forced to move Barrie at all.

there is an equally arguable side where the Avs lack incentive to move Barrie and his 2.5 RFA years (1.5 of those years will be the result of today's ruling) for a lesser offensive player about to make UFA money without something significant in return. The Avs do have their version of Stone (his skill set) in Johnson already.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
marincin could help you guys

I don't see him as an upgrade on Connauton or Dahlbeck. At least not enough of one to bother with such a trade. What we need is a D that can play the right side (even if it's just a prolonged fill-in) because after Connor Murphy we have an injured Stone, an extremely declined Michalek, and Luke Schenn, who's a 6-7 type D. We have no one to help carry the weight until Stone is 100%.

So far, Mark Streit has been the best solution I've seen suggested. Wouldn't cost much, can play either side, and can handle big minutes for short periods of time, while healthy. Best of all, wouldn't cost much to acquire. Having said that, he might still cost too much to acquire for a young, rebuilding team. Pick 31-45 sounds steep.

I doubt we're willing to really pay a big premium to avoid having to run a bit of a skeleton crew on the right side for a while until Stone is healthy. Hell, Goligoski can play the right side. So can Connauton. I'm more confident in both of them playing their off-side than Michalek or Schenn getting top four minutes.

OEL-Murphy
KConn-Goligoski
Dahlbeck-Schenn
Michalek

...isn't great but isn't crippling. And beats overpaying with good future assets for mediocre short-term assets. I mean, when Stone is back up and running, we're not bad off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad