McKenzie: Coyotes offering OEL 8 x 8.25 contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
And living in California is way better than living in Arizona. The whole state taxes thing as a primary driver for these choices cracks me up. You would think low tax states would have all the banners hanging from the rafters in every sport by peoples thought processes here. Weird that it’s the high tax states in most of the sports that have most of the most hardware. These post Reagan theories on taxes in the American populist drive me nuts.
You’re talking about nineteen different things and none of them have to do with OEL. Link your blog, though...

Reactions: glovesave_35

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That's also a very valid and fair point I may have seemingly overlooked (but I did consider). My intention was not to overglorify a straw man (Hall-Larsson is a notorious one on here), just to provide some notion of recency (Kane was the last profile UFA extended). Still, I do genuinely think 8-8.25m AAV, while certainly plausible, would (as of OEL's current stock) have to include an interplay of him providing some degree of a home-town discount. Now, the reasonable expectation may be that players do provide this, in general, if they resign with their teams before hitting the open market- which is also fair.

With a ~8m AAV contract though, I do geniuinely think he's providing a significant hometown discount- relative to his UFA worth, to the tune of ~1.5-2 million AAV per year, over a significant amount of term.

Points I would highlight:

- Kane was a pending July 1st UFA. OEL isn’t.

- Kane played 26 games with San Jose, he had no vested interest in staying there unless offered something in the maximum UFA range. OEL has almost 600 games with Arizona. He has settled down much deeper roots in living there.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I'd be surprised if OEL didn't sign that.
In a way, I wouldnt be. E. Kane gets 7 year 7 Mill. OEL is worth more way more than Kane. How much longer does OEL want to suffer in the what seems like never ending rebuild in AZ?

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Will he turn to a franchise that wants to win the cup? That is the only question. Otherwise he will stay in Arizona.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Meh, Dion Phaneuf committing to Toronto long term turned out to be career suicide.
I’m pretty sure when he signed his deal he could say with 100% certainty that the Leafs would exist throughout the length of his contract. It’s different. The yotes are probably the most unstable organization in major league North American pro sports.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Only way he doesn’t sign is the threat looming of relocation (Houston) and the likelyhood of no new arena.

Guy loves AZ, doesn’t enjoy the lime light and has made a home here. He will make a decision in the coming days giving Chyka time to plan if he doesn’t sign.

Sounds like Houston would be perfect for him then!!

And that little issue of no state tax! Even though it's a bit of a scam. As soon as you buy a house you're paying tax. Property taxes here are insane. They get your blood one way or the other.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I think that contract should do it. OEL clearly loves playing/living in Arizona in the winter. He never struck me as a particularly strong flight risk. The area's high on quality of living charts and that is a ton of security.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
OEL is walking. He'd be out of his mind to stay on a team that is going nowhere fast, no matter how much they throw at him.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Sure, 8.25 is probably a bit under market, but 10 would be borderline (not to say some team wouldn't give it to him as a UFA). He has no major trophies, mid-range offensive production, and no team success. I don't agree that team success and things like that should fully dictate contracts, but they clearly play a role (e.g. Toews).

I'd fully expect OEL to get 8-9 million AAV unless a team is desperate.

It happens somewhat frequently in the positive sense, but lack of team success rarely hurts a player's value in UFA.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I'm starting to think he re-signs with Arizona. But I don't think it will be for less than 9. More if they don't give him a NMC. That "higher take home" pay goes out the window if you're traded to about 70% of the league.

Last edited:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I’m pretty sure when he signed his deal he could say with 100% certainty that the Leafs would exist throughout the length of his contract. It’s different. The yotes are probably the most unstable organization in major league North American pro sports.

The team that you play for existing I don’t think is what people talk about when they bring up career suicide.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
OEL is walking. He'd be out of his mind to stay on a team that is going nowhere fast, no matter how much they throw at him.

Not sure why you think they don’t have hope. Plenty of young talent that eventually figures it out

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
In a way, I wouldnt be. E. Kane gets 7 year 7 Mill. OEL is worth more way more than Kane. How much longer does OEL want to suffer in the what seems like never ending rebuild in AZ?

It does feel like suffering for a pro athlete to always be on a losing team, but I imagine Phoenix is a nice place to live. Doesn't live under a spotlight with tons of pressure on him, either.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
It does feel like suffering for a pro athlete to always be on a losing team, but I imagine Phoenix is a nice place to live. Doesn't live under a spotlight with tons of pressure on him, either.

This.

All players are different types of people. Some want to win at all costs and their main career goal is to win a Stanley Cup. Some players treat their NHL careers as a job, and place more value on things such as desirable places to live, family, less media pressure or demands, etc.

A player like OEL might be very content with his role in Arizona and may love his home and the work environment there. He might not want to work in a media savage market, cold weather area, or deal with the added stress and pressure of being "the missing piece" for a top contender.

None of us know. One thing is for sure - if OEL commits to Arizona for 8 years, he likely doesn't place "winning a Cup" at the top of his priority list. That's not a knock on him personally, or the Coyotes as a team, but it's just being realistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad