McKenzie: Coyotes offering OEL 8 x 8.25 contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Arizona has one of the lowest cost-of-living and tax rate combinations of any NHL market. 8.25 in Arizona and 9.25 elsewhere is pretty comparable. Unless a team in Florida or Texas is going to offer him mega bucks, you can't just look at this in terms of take whatever deal has the most dollars in it. There are other considerations to think about, concerning how much he gets to keep of that money, and how far that money goes where he lives.

Not for nothing but cost of living is much much lower in Arizona than in Silicon Valley.
When making this much money I don't think cost of living and tax rate enter the picture much.

Reactions: DarthProbert

cobra427

May 6, 2012
And living in California is way better than living in Arizona. The whole state taxes thing as a primary driver for these choices cracks me up. You would think low tax states would have all the banners hanging from the rafters in every sport by peoples thought processes here. Weird that it’s the high tax states in most of the sports that have most of the most hardware. These post Reagan theories on taxes in the American populist drive me nuts.
The Bay area is a congested mess. Living in Scottsdale is way nicer and better then living in the Bay area, it's not close for quality of life.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
When making this much money I don't think cost of living and tax rate enter the picture much.

He is saving at least $1 million in taxes a year. He’s also saving at least 50 percent of what he would be spending on a house. In other words a comparable salary for him in San Jose would be around $10 million AAV maybe more. It makes a big difference.

Reactions: KINGS17

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Signing an 8 year deal 4 years ago with a sure thing like the Red Wings would’ve been a great idea.

And the obvious picks for cup contention last summer we’re clearly the Jets who’d never won a playoff round, and the Knights who didn’t even exist. It’s very easy to pick winners and tell on any given day which team will have an EIGHT year run of Cup contention.

I know that the NHL eight years ago is basically the same competitive landscape as the nhl today, right?

The Coyotes were in the Western Conference Finals six years ago. Would that have been a great time for an 8yr deal? They’ve missed the playoffs for six of those years now.

Edmonton was everybody’s favorite hipster dark horse pick for cup contention before this season. Everyone wanted to toss them out as that great long shot team. How’s that looking?

Should he go to a powerhouse like Chicago for eight years? That looked like a great idea 1-2 years ago. How about now?

This is just like Shane Doan. Doan should’ve left for the Red Wings 8yrs ago. They were a powerhouse fresh off a finals appearance. Except since that time they’ve had nothing but misses and early exits. Hell, even the lowly Coyotes had a conference finals appearance since then.

Last time Doan was UFA, he was considering the Canucks very seriously. They were just off a Cup finals loss and were looking GREAT. It’sbeen nothing but misses and early exits since.

Eight years is an eternity in this league.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Not a bad offer.

I'd personally want to leave Arizona though. Perhaps OEL likes it though.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
There was smoke for 61 minutes until Dater poured ice water on his own BS via immediately retraction of statements. Haha. Cmon, man. Take the L.
I respect you rt, you are the leader of the Yote on HF..

That said do you firmly believe the NHL will keep on bailing out the Yotes?

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I respect you rt, you are the leader of the Yote on HF..

That said do you firmly believe the NHL will keep on bailing out the Yotes?
That’s got nothing to do with the 1/2 of a full tweet you posted.

The Coyotes play half way to Los Angeles out in the corn fields where nobody lives. They’ll 100% fail in Glendale. No doubt.

They have to get an arena east of there. Significantly east. Either that’s going to be on the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community or it’s going to be in Houston.

No local government in Arizona is going to help finance an arena for the Coyotes. It will be the Tribe or nobody in Arizona. Houston is ready to go.

Either way, the team will be fine and will eventually stop needing charity. If they end up on tribal land, a stone’s throw from the heart of Scottsdale, they’ll be fine. If they end up in Houston, they’ll be fine. The league will be done bailing out the Coyotes soon. Whether they’re in a new home on a an Indian reservation or a new home in Texas, the league can definitely cut off their allowance.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Tribal land is different, don't be so hated.
Huh? I’m saying the only way the Coyotes are going to get someone to help is if the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community is interested in developing a hockey arena for the Coyotes. How is that hating?

That tribe has done a ton of development in the last five or ten years and they’re making a killing. Including on sports complex development. I’m hoping the tribe will help the Coyotes. They’re our only hope. How is that being a hater?

Reactions: iSophagus

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Huh? I’m saying the only way the Coyotes are going to get someone to help is if the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community is interested in developing a hockey arena for the Coyotes. How is that hating?

That tribe has done a ton of development in the last five or ten years and they’re making a killing. Including on sports complex development. I’m hoping the tribe will help the Coyotes. They’re our only hope. How is that being a hater?

RT/rt:
bringing this to the attention of the tribe....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad