Rumor: Coyotes among many teams interested in Jacob Trouba

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think it's fair to say given agents history that the end game may be to force a trade. I think that would be fair speculation but yes it's speculation. Up to reader to decide if there is any fire to that smoke.

AZ fans saw this with Turris. Wasn't fun experience. I've maintained since that teams may need to alter draft lists based on agent/representation.

Isles_Guy*

I think it's fair to say given agents history that the end game may be to force a trade. I think that would be fair speculation but yes it's speculation. Up to reader to decide if there is any fire to that smoke.

AZ fans saw this with Turris. Wasn't fun experience. I've maintained since that teams may need to alter draft lists based on agent/representation.

That's entirely fair.... if an agent has done this not once, not twice, but several times, you'd be a fool to think otherwise.

I know of at least 4 cases and I wouldn't be surprised if there's more between Overhardt and his associates.

Once it's in an agents bag of tricks he'd be a fool not to use it if it gets him a better deal for his client

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
That's entirely fair.... if an agent has done this not once, not twice, but several times, you'd be a fool to think otherwise.

I know of at least 4 cases and I wouldn't be surprised if there's more between Overhardt and his associates.

Once it's in an agents bag of tricks he'd be a fool not to use it if it gets him a better deal for his client

But will this not in the end hurt Overhardts clients? Teams starts to avoid him, drafting his players lower so they make less money? :o

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I did I told you guys it's on 1290 specifically here.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-1290/watters-on-trouba-negotiations-1.554637

Why should I waste my time on someone who won't believe it anyway. But for you Maukkis I will. You're not close minded.

Being open minded is the key of having any meaningful conversations.

But now, to the actual discussion.

"With Trouba, I suspect that they want to leave Winnipeg. So, this thing doesn't start, until he starts his paycheck, and then he starts to lose money for a certain period of time, and he's hoping that he can force Winnipeg to move him."

"They want out. They want out of Winnipeg... THAT'S MY READ ON IT."

First off, pretty much everything he says in the interview is based on opinions and predictions. Not exactly convincing.

Secondly...

"This is about getting Trouba out of Winnipeg in a way which doesn't have an effect on Trouba."

Impossible.

During the interview, he mentioned that the deadline would be the start of the season, when Trouba would start getting paid. I don't see a single reason for Chevy to sell Trouba, if he requested to be traded at that point. No matter what Overhardt has in his sleeves, he can't get it all. If Trouba leaves Winnipeg, he no longer has the usage card to use in his negotiations, which costs him money. If he doesn't sign in Winnipeg (keep in mind, this means that he's holding out TO get out of Winnipeg), it harms Chevy's ability to trade him, which loses him money (and, given the nature of Chevy, a lot of money, if Chevy decides to wait for the perfect return). If he signs, bridge or long-term, he improves his chances to get out eventually, but how soon... that's not up to him at that point. There is no way he's getting shipped out unsigned before the season starts.

To get out of Winnipeg, signing is the way to go, not holding out. They can get paid big or they can get a trade soon, but not both.

And by the way, any comments on this?

Chevy today:

“It is always a difficult thing in my situation here because negotiations are – they’re a sacred process, they really should be,†said Cheveldayoff. “Negotiations are tough. I think whether it’s obviously a negotiation of a player contract or when you’re negotiating your own contract, there’s a level of things – the back and forth and everything that goes on – that has to remain private.

“I know it’s tough. I know people would love to hear me put a date on things and everything like that, but as I said before – every negotiation is different. But one thing that is not different is you know we have to keep the inner-working of it private.â€

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
LOL ok now I really am taking crazy pills.

Will Trouba get traded: Possibly
Will KO force Trouba to miss games: Possibly
Will Trouba sign an 8 year deal with the Jets: Possibly
Has anyone said anything about the situation without adding "speculated, in my opinion, could be, might, etc etc": NO!

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Trouba is a slightly better Matt Dumba. If Trouba wanted out, I'd try to trade him before his value tanks. He's not worth more than 4M on a bridge contract.

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Given Overhardt's tendency to be a pretty awful agent, I wonder if GM's have the ability to get him removed in some way. Seems unlikely.

If Hextall is hinting that he balked at a trade because of it, that's pretty significant IMO.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Given Overhardt's tendency to be a pretty awful agent, I wonder if GM's have the ability to get him removed in some way. Seems unlikely.

If Hextall is hinting that he balked at a trade because of it, that's pretty significant IMO.

Overhardt is doing his job: getting the best possible contract for his client (and himself). That's what agents do.

It's a different story if he's actually helping his case or not.

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Overhardt is doing his job: getting the best possible contract for his client (and himself). That's what agents do.

It's a different story if he's actually helping his case or not.

All agents "do their job" and all agents try to "get the best possible contract" for their clients, I'm not debating that.

I don't know all of the guy's clients, but if he has a slash and burn approach to reaching these goals, it clearly is rubbing people (I cited Hextall and I'll assume Chevy) the wrong way. I'm struggling to see this guy's upside in the greater context.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'm just quoting this post because it's shorter, but I just have to say it's beyond weird that you call him "Bill" all the time.

What would you perfer I call him? Mr. Watters?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
All agents "do their job" and all agents try to "get the best possible contract" for their clients, I'm not debating that.

I don't know all of the guy's clients, but if he has a slash and burn approach to reaching these goals, it clearly is rubbing people (I cited Hextall and I'll assume Chevy) the wrong way. I'm struggling to see this guy's upside in the greater context.

We fans likely wouldn't be able tell the difference in approach/results, but if he's good at his job (which I'm sure he is) no doubt he has some facts to back up his successes. I'm not saying I like the guy, not many fans do, but if he gets better results for his clients then that's what matters to him.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Sorry to side with the non Jets fans but everything Watters is saying adds up if you think about it. Jets fans did the same song and dance with Kane for years.

Overhart wants Trouba to get paid and Chevy wants to pay him like a cost controlled RFA. Overhardt knows if Chevy doesn't pony up close to where he wants, Trouba can sit, the city will turn on him and he will get traded to a team that needs a young first pair RD that will pay him.

If Chevy is pissed, it's understandable because his only choices are to overpay Trouba, or to trade him for a less than desirable return. Jets are in a tough spot and I'm beginning to worry a lot.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Hey Coyotes. Trouba wants real money, not pop bottles and promises. He's not taking any ownership percentage like Mario.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I'm sure Trouba does want to get paid but other than sitting out, he has no leverage. Better players signed their 5-6 year deals and he'll have to follow suit within those annual averages : 4.5 - 5.5 mil per

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I'm sure Trouba does want to get paid but other than sitting out, he has no leverage. Better players signed their 5-6 year deals and he'll have to follow suit within those annual averages : 4.5 - 5.5 mil per

Take that logical approach to things back out of here, it has no place. :sarcasm:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

idk, he looked really good in that WHC game. Maybe if that's all Winnipeg is offering and they prefer to press their leverage, someone will get the stones to throw him an offer sheet.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Sorry to side with the non Jets fans but everything Watters is saying adds up if you think about it. Jets fans did the same song and dance with Kane for years.

Overhart wants Trouba to get paid and Chevy wants to pay him like a cost controlled RFA. Overhardt knows if Chevy doesn't pony up close to where he wants, Trouba can sit, the city will turn on him and he will get traded to a team that needs a young first pair RD that will pay him.

If Chevy is pissed, it's understandable because his only choices are to overpay Trouba, or to trade him for a less than desirable return. Jets are in a tough spot and I'm beginning to worry a lot.

You lost me after "everything watters is saying adds up".

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

No one is saying it's not possible or likely or anything......we all agree that's it's certainly a possibility. But that wasn't the point, one poster was making claims/posts like it was fact, he was simply asked to post the source or state it's merely his "opinion". Finally he acknowledged it was merely his opinion, which is totally fine, I personally have no issue with people's opinion on the matter.

IMO Trouba will get signed, he won't sit out. But not sure if he's signed long term or bridge deal, either way "he may" get traded shortly after signing or sometime within the next year afterwards.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
No one is saying it's not possible or likely or anything......we all agree that's it's certainly a possibility. But that wasn't the point, one poster was making claims/posts like it was fact, he was simply asked to post the source or state it's merely his "opinion". Finally he acknowledged it was merely his opinion, which is totally fine, I personally have no issue with people's opinion on the matter.

IMO Trouba will get signed, he won't sit out. But not sure if he's signed long term or bridge deal, either way "he may" get traded shortly after signing or sometime within the next year afterwards.

I don't care I'm not a lawyer and this forum isn't a court of law. People argue around here like substantiated proof is the only thing you can use to form an opinion.

Unless Trouba's camp is planning on signing their best offer a day or two after the season starts (Overhart has a history of exact opposite), or Chevy's camp is ready to overpay to prevent him from holding out, I can see him missing games.

Smartest thing Chevy can do is let him sit until he signs a 6 year deal around $5M or less. Or an 8 year deal under $6M. But my goodness will the fans ride him hard here. And so they should.

Sorry if some here don't think this adds up.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I don't care I'm not a lawyer and this forum isn't a court of law. People argue around here like substantiated proof is the only thing you can use to form an opinion.

Unless Trouba's camp is planning on signing their best offer a day or two after the season starts (Overhart has a history of exact opposite), or Chevy's camp is ready to overpay to prevent him from holding out, I can see him missing games.

Smartest thing Chevy can do is let him sit until he signs a 6 year deal around $5M or less. Or an 8 year deal under $6M. But my goodness will the fans ride him hard here. And so they should.

Sorry if some here don't think this adds up.

Opinions are perfectly fine, as I stated. I have no issues with your post here and I would even go as far as agree with your opinion as well. It will be an 11th hour deal or things will get a bit ugly. Same could be said about all the unsigned RFA around the NHL, Trouba is no different.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
If I'm Chevy and Trouba sits, I treat it exactly like Yzerman did to Drouin (not directly comparable cause Drouin was under contract but same idea). You don't get an offer you like, you let him sit for as long as he wants. Eventually Trouba will realize the best way for him to get traded is to establish his value by playing and playing well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad