OT: COVID-19- March 17 2020 - No politics! Read post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
This is what we should be telling all our governments to do. Prepare properly and respond intelligently

We should but unfortunately we incentivise knee jerk short term thinking when we panic and demand action before we've had a full accounting of the facts and fully discussed all the available options positives and negatives

Reactions: saltming

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
They matter to the living though and the last thing I want when we come out of this (humanity always does) is to become a slave to the state afterwards
I'm not advocating willingly ceding rights and freedoms, but if martial law is needed to contain this because a large demographic of society won't respect experts opinions on how to contain this threat, then I'm all for it.

If that's perceiving me as being duped by the government in some quasi event to take my rights away from me, well........I think your giving the government too much credit, they're not smart enough to pull that off imo.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
We should but unfortunately we incentivise knee jerk short term thinking when we panic and demand action before we've had a full accounting of the facts and fully discussed all the available options positives and negatives
Hollywood has ruined the western world!

Reactions: PromisedLand

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm not advocating willingly ceding rights and freedoms, but if martial law is needed to contain this because a large demographic of society won't respect experts opinions on how to contain this threat, then I'm all for it.

If that's perceiving me as being duped by the government in some quasi event to take my rights away from me, well........I think your giving the government too much credit, they're not smart enough to pull that off imo.

I'm not, your just asking for trouble, the US has put people into camps just because they had Japanese heritage with those powers and a lack of accountability

If there's one area of government their good at it's taking power for themselves with minimal accountability, bad at everything else but like most people with institutional power that's one thing they can do well

Nah, we've done that ourselves, in pretty quick time to

The only positive to this is celebrities are getting ****** over to :laugh:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That's kinda ridiculous what your tone seems to be alluding. So what if someone with money to blow went to another country to avoid Canadian winter? That means somehow Canada has no obligation towards their safety as citizens? Yes I agree that those who went overseas in the current climate knowing full well about covid19 but acted selfishly can all go royally f*** themselves. We shouldn't suffer because of those morons.

Not everyone traveling back was in that predicament though. I'm guessing most left before covid became a serious issue

Come on who didn't know what was going on?

Why people keep thinking it is up to everyone else to babysit / save them from their own decisions.

Why do you think Canada has obligations to people who leave the country?

I lived overseas for a couple years, and not once did I ever think Canada was responsible for my decision to live overseas. It was my choice!

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

I remember seeing an interview where Keifer Sutherland recounted a story of several people on the plan with him came up to him and told him that "they all feel very safe with Keifer on the plane" (genuinely not joke) because they thought he is Jack Bauer in real life :laugh:

The IQ of some people I tell ya.....

Reactions: rumman and saltming

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Come on who didn't know what was going on?

Why people keep thinking it is up to everyone else to babysit / save them from their own decisions.

Why do you think Canada has obligations to people who leave the country?

I lived overseas for a couple years, and not once did I ever think Canada was responsible for my decision to live overseas. It was my choice!

I can't even stand when people in Canada go to the Doctor for every little thing, like because they don't cut their nails. They have insurance for that too, Canada should not be the peoples savior.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I remember seeing an interview where Keifer Sutherland recounted a story of several people on the plan with him came up to him and told him that "they all feel very safe with Keifer on the plane" (genuinely not joke) because they thought he is Jack Bauer in real life :laugh:

The IQ of some people I tell ya.....
That's sad and hilarious at the same time

Reactions: PromisedLand

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That's sad and hilarious at the same time

He jumped out of his car and stopped a crime in progress. If only he could stop Covid19... Maybe he can.

24-1392x884.jpg

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm not, your just asking for trouble, the US has put people into camps just because they had Japanese heritage with those powers and a lack of accountability

If there's one area of government their good at it's taking power for themselves with minimal accountability, bad at everything else but like most people with institutional power that's one thing they can do well

Nah, we've done that ourselves, in pretty quick time to

The only positive to this is celebrities are getting ****** over to :laugh:
I live within 4 hours of the US border and sleep perfectly fine, considering you live about as far away from the continental US as is possible you should probably be more concerned about what will happen to that little island if this virus isn't kept under wraps?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I live within 4 hours of the US border and sleep perfectly fine, considering you live about as far away from the continental US as is possible you should probably be more concerned about what will happen to that little island if this virus isn't kept under wraps?

That's what people think until they realize that those incremental, and not so incremental losses of civil liberties lead to, then you wish you had cared more

We've already got it, just like everybody else and my government can pretty much do whatever it wants already, like shutdown parts of the internet and put me in jail for 10 years for causing gross offense

That's why I care about civil liberties and a government expansion of powers

Reactions: kb

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Hats off to Singapore. What a well thought out plan and solid leadership. Western countries should be ashamed and learn a few things.

Summary for those that do not want to read the whole article:
  • Singapore heavily tested people who came from China (especially high impact provinces in China)
  • If they had COVID-19 (high to moderate); they were NOT sent home they were kept in the hospital (minimizing community spread) -> "Contacts were traced and asked to quarantine at home if symptoms not moderate to high (tracked by the government)
  • If they had mild symptoms, they were sent home and heavily tracked with SIGNIFICANT penalties if they left home (tracking was done by patients reviving SMS at random times and they had to click on the link that shows their location; followed by random visits by govt officials to see if they are really home)
  • Meanwhile, the social and economic impact in Singapore is not huge; the life keeps moving; and they are not accumulating any significant debt

The way situation is handled in the western countries is absolutely terrible. Sending people home without monitoring = community contact spread. Absolutely JOKE of a policy.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Even if you go complete lockdown for a month, it won't matter until the US gets their crap together.
The US stopped travel to China in early February but they should have extended that to all countries, including Canada.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
More and more this looks like the virus is being used as an opportunity to controlled demolish the existing economic system. I am just waiting now for the NEW DEAL to miraculously be ready ie. No cash money, digital currency. We may even get debt forgiveness to an extent, who knows.

Regardless if it is an edited virus or not, the responses seem like ridiculous overreactions unless there is information about the disease that is being withheld. We can't isolate sick and ELDERLY? We need to destroy the entire country?! Western Civilization?
Yikes this social distancing really isn't doing you any good

Last edited:
Reactions: Forgotusername

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
So has Canada. I don't mean right now but in the past.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of it

The mosque shooting here in New Zealand was an eye opener about government power I can tell you

I want to start taking some of the power they granted themselves away, not let them add to it because people are frightened

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If the data we are seeing from CDC is similar here in Canada; then we HAVE TO GO THE SINGAPORE ROUTE

We gotta get back to business and stop the lock-down. Only thing we need to know from the data is that from the "working-age" population folks that had to be hospitalized, especially in ICU or died; if majority of them had pre-existing health complications; because if that is teh case then one can just formulate plans based on this evidence instead of shutting down the entire country.

Severe Outcomes Among Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19

mm6912e2-F2.gif

* Hospitalization status missing or unknown for 1,514 cases.
† ICU status missing or unknown for 2,253 cases.
§ Illness outcome or death missing or unknown for 2,001 cases.

TABLE. Hospitalization, intensive care unit (ICU) admission, and case–fatality percentages for reported COVID–19 cases, by age group —United States, February 12–March 16, 2020

Note: last column is for number of deaths

%*
Age group (yrs) (no. of cases)HospitalizationICU admission
0–19 (123)1.6–2.500
20–44 (705)14.3–20.82.0–4.20.1–0.2
45–54 (429)21.2–28.35.4–10.40.5–0.8
55–64 (429)20.5–30.14.7–11.21.4–2.6
65–74 (409)28.6–43.58.1–18.82.7–4.9
75–84 (210)30.5–58.710.5–31.04.3–10.5
≥85 (144)31.3–70.36.3–29.010.4–27.3
Total (2,449)20.7–31.44.9–11.51.8–3.4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Lower bound of range = number of persons hospitalized, admitted to ICU, or who died among total in age group; upper bound of range = number of persons hospitalized, admitted to ICU, or who died among total in age group with known hospitalization status, ICU admission status, or death.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad