OT: COVID-19- March 17 2020 - No politics! Read post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yikes this social distancing really isn't doing you any good

I'm fine. What is crazy is watching the markets tank though. There are no parts coming from China, nothing getting built, what's on the shelves is what there is and that hasn't really changed. I mean, it's good not everyone is out buying up everything right now but that's sort of where we are at for the moment, and the markets keep tanking. Think about how bad that can look here and then take the less fortunate nations and multiply it. Ouch.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I'm fine. What is crazy is watching the markets tank though. There are no parts coming from China, nothing getting built, what's on the shelves is what there is and that hasn't really changed. I mean, it's good not everyone is out buying up everything right now but that's sort of where we are at for the moment, and the markets keep tanking. Think about how bad that can look here and then take the less fortunate nations and multiply it. Ouch.
I've got a long time horizon so not too worried about the markets. Economy will recover at some point.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
If the data we are seeing from CDC is similar here in Canada; then we HAVE TO GO THE SINGAPORE ROUTE

We gotta get back to business and stop the lock-down. Only thing we need to know from the data is that from the "working-age" population folks that had to be hospitalized, especially in ICU or died; if majority of them had pre-existing health complications; because if that is teh case then one can just formulate plans based on this evidence instead of shutting down the entire country.

Severe Outcomes Among Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19

mm6912e2-F2.gif

* Hospitalization status missing or unknown for 1,514 cases.
† ICU status missing or unknown for 2,253 cases.
§ Illness outcome or death missing or unknown for 2,001 cases.

TABLE. Hospitalization, intensive care unit (ICU) admission, and case–fatality percentages for reported COVID–19 cases, by age group —United States, February 12–March 16, 2020

Note: last column is for number of deaths

%*
Age group (yrs) (no. of cases)HospitalizationICU admission
0–19 (123)1.6–2.500
20–44 (705)14.3–20.82.0–4.20.1–0.2
45–54 (429)21.2–28.35.4–10.40.5–0.8
55–64 (429)20.5–30.14.7–11.21.4–2.6
65–74 (409)28.6–43.58.1–18.82.7–4.9
75–84 (210)30.5–58.710.5–31.04.3–10.5
≥85 (144)31.3–70.36.3–29.010.4–27.3
Total (2,449)20.7–31.44.9–11.51.8–3.4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Lower bound of range = number of persons hospitalized, admitted to ICU, or who died among total in age group; upper bound of range = number of persons hospitalized, admitted to ICU, or who died among total in age group with known hospitalization status, ICU admission status, or death.

The Singapore route has proven to be the most successful for sure. I have been alarmed that their numbers have started to go up again in the past few days. Their proactive approach kept them from losing any lifes until today. We are still so early in this that it is hard to project any countries methods a success.

Right now no doubt Singapore is leading the charge. I would also like to find out what Germany has been doing. The infection number is high and the deaths incredibly low.

Russia is up to anyones guess whether or not they are telling the truth

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The Singapore route has proven to be the most successful for sure. I have been alarmed that their numbers have started to go up again in the past few days. Their proactive approach kept them from losing any lifes until today. We are still so early in this that it is hard to project any countries methods a success.

Right now no doubt Singapore is leading the charge. I would also like to find out what Germany has been doing. The infection number is high and the deaths incredibly low.

Russia is up to anyones guess whether or not they are telling the truth

Isolation and quarantine works...some countries have taken this too lightly and has been too relax with policy or the population is too carefree...the virus needs hosts to live, thrive and propagate...that aspect is pretty basic with the nature of viruses.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Isolation and quarantine works...some countries have taken this too lightly and has been too relax with policy or the population is too carefree...the virus needs hosts to live, thrive and propagate...that aspect is pretty basic with the nature of viruses.

Hard to argue that

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

I waver back and forth but tend to lean further to your side. As much as I hate the idea of giving up civil liberties, I had to run out to pick jp some meds for my father today and for the most part you would not know we were trying to isolate.

The Walmart and Loblaws were so packed you could not find a parking spot, the Dollar Rama was jammed, people were just out and about.

I almost fear it is inevitable now that we will be forced into Shelter in Place

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC

A good time for the west to reevaluate their relationship with China and start to maintain their own infrastructures and industrial supply lines. Time for the west to be self-sufficient like we used to be.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Next week or two is going to be very informative as to how widespread this issue is in different countries, states/provinces, cities, etc. Stay safe everyone.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I waver back and forth but tend to lean further to your side. As much as I hate the idea of giving up civil liberties, I had to run out to pick jp some meds for my father today and for the most part you would not know we were trying to isolate.

The Walmart and Loblaws were so packed you could not find a parking spot, the Dollar Rama was jammed, people were just out and about.

I almost fear it is inevitable now that we will be forced into Shelter in Place

If it's any comfort I work in produce at Walmart and today was quite slow, surprisingly slow, possibly slower than a usual Saturday (don't know if the sales will support that, but it seemed like much fewer people than usual)

So perhaps the hoarders have finished their hoarding.

Also Walmart is being great at my store. We have actual hired security at both entrances and a table with non-latex gloves, hand sanitizer and lysol wipes.

The security greeters are telling every single person to take a wipe and wipe down their carts handle, use hand sanitizer, and put on some gloves, and to keep distance from other customers.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
If it's any comfort I work in produce at Walmart and today was quite slow, surprisingly slow, possibly slower than a usual Saturday (don't know if the sales will support that, but it seemed like much fewer people than usual)

Also Walmart is being great at my store. We have actual hired security at both entrances and a table with non-latex gloves, hand sanitizer and lysol wipes.

The security greeters are telling every single person to take a wipe and wipe down their carts handle, use hand sanitizer, and put on some gloves, and to keep distance from other customers.

I don't blame Wal-mart. We need somewhere to buy food and such.

Also, thank you for choosing to go to work every day. Kudos to you and all your co-workers who can't work frkm home who are trying to keep things running in this crazy time.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I don't blame Wal-mart. We need somewhere to buy food and such.

Also, thank you for choosing to go to work every day. Kudos to you and all your co-workers who can't work frkm home who are trying to keep things running in this crazy time.

Thanks, but I don't choose to go to work, I live paycheque to paycheque, and also live with my parents who are 76 and 77 years old.

I am doing whatever I can to not catch the virus. I won't go fill up anything if there's customers around. I wait until the coast is clear, go fill up certain things that are getting low, and then I head back to employee only area (backroom)

I'm also taking a lot more breaks than I'm supposed to take, because I just don't want to be around people, and I don't feel bad about it.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Thanks, but I don't choose to go to work, I live paycheque to paycheque, and also live with my parents who are 76 and 77 years old.

I am doing whatever I can to not catch the virus. I won't go fill up anything if there's customers around. I wait until the coast is clear, go fill up certain things that are getting low, and then I head back to employee only area (backroom)

I'm also taking a lot more breaks than I'm supposed to take, because I just don't want to be around people, and I don't feel bad about it.

And you shouldn't!!

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
A good time for the west to reevaluate their relationship with China and start to maintain their own infrastructures and industrial supply lines. Time for the west to be self-sufficient like we used to be.

You ain’t half wrong .... which is a very odd phrase but yes... self sufficiency... or at least a plan B is a great path forward.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Come on who didn't know what was going on?

Why people keep thinking it is up to everyone else to babysit / save them from their own decisions.

Why do you think Canada has obligations to people who leave the country?

I lived overseas for a couple years, and not once did I ever think Canada was responsible for my decision to live overseas. It was my choice!

I’m in the middle.

There’s a risk in travelling abroad but I’d like to know that Foreign Affairs is looking out for me if I run into some trouble that’s beyond my control (eg a natural disaster, terror attack, etc).

We have Embassies for a reason. We shouldn’t feel shame

giphy.gif

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

Thanks for the work. I did grocery stock at one time. More crucial now than ever. That's why people shouldn't knock anyone for the job they do... you're working.

Also I'll check out my local Walmart now for groceries knowing they may be following this policy.

I have a family to worry about so anyway to protect them when I go out to get food... as funny as that may sound... is great. Thanks again.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I’m in the middle.

There’s a risk in travelling abroad but I’d like to know that Foreign Affairs is looking out for me if I run into some trouble that’s beyond my control (eg a natural disaster, terror attack, etc).

We have Embassies for a reason. We shouldn’t feel shame

giphy.gif

if you are warned do you disregard the warnings?

Reactions: rumman

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I can give you a tip, assuming other Walmarts are like mine, your best chance to get toilet paper is probably around 8;30-9;30pm at night. Walmart (like all grocery stores now) do their dry-grocery stocking overnight, and the order will usually start coming in around 8pm.

The other best time to shop, is upon opening of the store obviously. Especially for produce like berries etc. It comes in overnight and when it's gone it's gone because that's all we have.

Also, stuff like bread, chips, pop, is brought in by an outside vendor/worker, so don't bother Walmart employees about bread, they have no control or access to anything that isn't there.

Also meats, if it's empty it's because we don't have any. Same with any frozen foods, milk, all that stuff. We get what we get and that's all there is. But in produce we often have things in the cooler that has been overlooked, or not enough workers, so it doesn't hurt to ask produce workers for something (you can even ask them if they have anything fresher, and they might be nice enough to go in the fridge and get you what you're after but super fresh)

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

The fight between patriotism vs greed in current times has favoured greed. As long as there is low cost labour/material that is being shipped from China and sold at a stupendous profit margin to us Canadians; no canadian business is going to stop relying on China.

Only way to do that is become like Trump and enforce really HUGE tarrifs on chinese imports OR significantly reduce corporate tax with rules that they have to hire Canadian labour and produce in Canada

Personally, I would like to see at least the "necessities" being produced in Canada like
  • medicines, medical equipment
  • Food, water
  • Hygiene products
  • and also have affordable housing (i.e. no artificial boost of housing from foreign ownership);
  • winter related clothing and heating material
  • other necessitates only
  • ALL PRODUCED IN CANADA

Other luxury goods like expensive cars, armani jackets, diamond, electronics etc.... yea they can be free market operations for all I care

P.S. Don't really care about toilet paper either :laugh: ;)

Last edited:

HernzNation

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto

May I ask which location you work at. My local walmart is a zoo with no structure, security, sanitizer stations etc.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
May I ask which location you work at. My local walmart is a zoo with no structure, security, sanitizer stations etc.

I'll just say Clarington, so suburbs.

It was a zoo in there too, but the last couple of days (ok last 2 days) it has quieted down quite a bit.

Compared to last Thursday (like the Thursday of.....well March 12th) is when shit got crazy at my store that night and then through the weekend, just a total shitshow and sales were up 3x as usual (and our store is the top selling store in our region apprently)

But yeah, just the last two days I'm seeing things are a lot calmer, customers are calmer, product is coming in but it's not being hoarded like before.

What's it like where you work and are you in a more populated metro location? Are people showing up to work? (Walmart loves to hire high school kids who don't give a f***, impossible to get fired here there's always several employees at a time who just show up whenever they feel like it, management does nothing, doesn't cut their hours, there's a guy on our schedule who hasn't showed up for a shift in 3 months and he hasn't yet been fired, but apparently they're gonna do it soon lol)

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Oh I get it. I just don't like how the communicated it today through the Health inister.

I think this is what you would call a case of the police and media making an example of someone to help society.

An "optics" arrest if you will. AKA, don't f***ing do this if you have COVID or else!

I don't have a problem with it, even though I don't think this person has broken any laws, the example is potentially important to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad