Value of: Couturier to BOS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Given how much Boston has already traded away in prior years, and given what Couturier has been when healthy, I suspect there isn't a deal to be made unless they're willing to take a risk on his health in exchange for a vastly lowered price. A healthy Couturier is a #1C, locked up for essentially the rest of his career, who is perhaps the closest available player to Bergeron stylistically in the league (you could argue Barkov or Kopitar, but I don't think they're available.) If he's 90% of who he was before the injuries, you're looking at two #1 picks, a top prospect, and another prospect or lesser draft asset. I personally think Couturier's a better player than Scheifele (I'll grant I'm biased here, Couts is my favorite player ever), but that's about the range we're talking about for price.

Sight unseen, though, the price drops significantly. In exchange for taking the risk on the basis of his medicals and practice tape, that price probably comes down to a good prospect, but probably not Boston's #1 guy, and a pick conditional on his availability over the next couple years, or possibly on team success over that time frame. (Philly could probably also take back a contract like Forbort without impacting the price of the deal any, if that's a benefit from Boston's perspective.) That's something Boston can still do, even with everything they've shipped out at the past couple deadlines, with the understanding that if Couturier isn't fully healthy, the bulk of the price they'd be paying is in cap hit.

I can absolutely understand Boston not wanting to go for it, not wanting to take that risk, but if they don't, I think they probably end up shopping a tier or two down for their C help, rather than up in the Couturier/Scheifele tier.
I think this is going to be the Bruins new white whale for a long time.

Finding their next "Bergeron". Essentially a future hall of famer, and perennial Selke candidate.

He's not easily replaced. Even Lindholm or Couturier will be a step down (which is not a knock on either of them, more of talking up how Bergeron isn't easily replaced).

I personally think instead of chasing the white whale, build around what they have and build a new identity. Many may not agree, but trying to fill his shoes stylistically I think is just going to lead to more disappointment.

That said, I'd be happy with Lindholm or a healthy Couturier, just don't think it's the ONLY approach they can take to finding their next direction. I'm just personally not against to organically developing their next style. Which either way, I think most levelheaded fans can understand isn't going to happen immediately.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I mean if Philly is dumb and sold him at a discount its a risk that would open the bruins window back wide open

I think the two years off have made people forget what a beast couturier was . I see him coming back just as good because he is crazy . If he doesn't work out the bruins still suck

Trading for him would more likely shutdown the window.

Boston doesn’t have to be in a position like that

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
The idea of him on Boston (healthy) is intriguing but I don't think either team is willing to pay the price to move him.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I think this is going to be the Bruins new white whale for a long time.

Finding their next "Bergeron". Essentially a future hall of famer, and perennial Selke candidate.

He's not easily replaced. Even Lindholm or Couturier will be a step down (which is not a knock on either of them, more of talking up how Bergeron isn't easily replaced).

I personally think instead of chasing the white whale, build around what they have and build a new identity. Many may not agree, but trying to fill his shoes stylistically I think is just going to lead to more disappointment.

That said, I'd be happy with Lindholm or a healthy Couturier, just don't think it's the ONLY approach they can take to finding their next direction. I'm just personally not against to organically developing their next style. Which either way, I think most levelheaded fans can understand isn't going to happen immediately.
I hate the bruins but this post is amazing, cheers brother. Spot on.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I feel like this is an opportunity Boston should be taking to get a little younger
Idk considering it's top 2 centers you're missing now would you want to go into a pretty heavy rebuild/ retool ( keep mcavoy pasta, Swayman and sell off the guys that won't be good anymore by the time you get a young center that can handle first line minutes

A young center that is first line ready will cost you the other pieces that make you a contender anyways unless you find someone asking for a trade only to boston

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I don't think trading cooter is a good idea. He's an incredibly gifted two way center and exactly the kind of veteran the flyers will need down the lineup when they turn things around. He's at such a reasonable number they can afford to keep him as the 2 or even 3c

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Wanted to revisit this as Couturier's showing signs of life. I don't think the Flyers have any interest in moving him since they've said that they're focused on winning in the short term, but they probably should try to act quickly to move him while he's healthy

Reactions: FlyguyOX

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Wanted to revisit this as Couturier's showing signs of life. I don't think the Flyers have any interest in moving him since they've said that they're focused on winning in the short term, but they probably should try to act quickly to move him while he's healthy
They said what?
Moved Provorov for futures, let go of Hayes, JVR, DeAngelo.
Drafted a guy on a contract.
remember reading there would be no quick fix.

you must be going on Fletcher’s legacy.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
They said what?
Moved Provorov for futures, let go of Hayes, JVR, DeAngelo.
Drafted a guy on a contract.
remember reading there would be no quick fix.

you must be going on Fletcher’s legacy.
They moved the guys in Tortorella's doghouse. Look at free agent signings and scratches this season and tell me it's a rebuild

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I think the emergence of poitras somewhat negates the need for Boston, right? I guess if they’re still trying to go deep in the playoffs it doesnt, since top teams don’t usually rely on rookies to take them deep in the playoffs.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

dixie

Mar 15, 2022
Would rather absorb losses of Bergeron and Krecji with Coyle,Zacha, Boston s goaltending and D Corps!

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think the emergence of poitras somewhat negates the need for Boston, right? I guess if they’re still trying to go deep in the playoffs it doesnt, since top teams don’t usually rely on rookies to take them deep in the playoffs.

So far so good with what Boston has done internally with the center group. Coyle and Zacha are both on pace for 65 points and both Poitras and Beecher are doing good work as rookies in their assignments. Some of us want Hertl, who can slide in with Zacha and Pasta and either play the wing or center and really give Boston a great looking 1st line. I think for now, there isn't a huge pressing need for a center but the season is still young and injuries/poor play is aways a possibility.

If Zacha works out as the defacto #1 and Poitras grows into a capable #2, and with Coyle and Beecher rounding out the bottom 6, that solves the Boston question for centers for the next few seasons. Zacha is young enough to fit in with the current core group while Beecher and Poitras represent the next wave of youth coming in for the Bruins.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Trading away Coot's would be a tremendous PR disaster for the Briere-led Flyers. Sean Couturier was drafted by the Flyers, and when he was a rookie he lived with Captain Claude. When Chuckles Fletcher traded G to Florida it tore the hearts right out of the Flyers fans, and they are still getting over that foolish move. Letting Coot's go to Boston would be like a full out kick to the groin of all faithful Fyers fans.
Danny B will not move Coot's, especially not to a hated rival like Boston.
I may be a fan from abroad, but I have seen how wonderful and passionate the fans of the Delaware Valley can be (World Series/Super Bowl/Embid 76ers). They are just now coming back to the building to see these Flyers, and the return of Coot's is part of that equation.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Bruins are a team that seem to be willing to trade for guys and immediately commit to them long term, so I could see a potential fit here between the two teams, but it’s still really hard to trade guys with term unless they’re established as among the best players at their position. Just not sure it can happen without being convinced about his health which I don’t know can happen at his age.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Poitras certainly takes the edge off long term, but he is a rookie with a 19 year olds body and we don’t know what the ceiling is and he is not gonna get there this year regardless.

They still only have one top 6 center on the roster in Zacha. But the cap is the cap and unless they make a play for someone like Lindholm who could be made real cheap as we get closer to the deadline, it’s really something they can’t deal with until the offseason.

And I think there is enough good will in the fan base right now that they can wait if that’s how it goes. As long as Marchand doesn’t fall off they will be better positioned next year with guys like Lorhei and Poitras more established and perhaps a guy like Lysell who is at PPG in the AHL making the jump by end of season, too.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Trading away Coot's would be a tremendous PR disaster for the Briere-led Flyers. Sean Couturier was drafted by the Flyers, and when he was a rookie he lived with Captain Claude. When Chuckles Fletcher traded G to Florida it tore the hearts right out of the Flyers fans, and they are still getting over that foolish move. Letting Coot's go to Boston would be like a full out kick to the groin of all faithful Fyers fans.
Danny B will not move Coot's, especially not to a hated rival like Boston.
I may be a fan from abroad, but I have seen how wonderful and passionate the fans of the Delaware Valley can be (World Series/Super Bowl/Embid 76ers). They are just now coming back to the building to see these Flyers, and the return of Coot's is part of that equation.
What in the world are you talking about. I think just about all all of that is untrue

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
6 years remaining at $7.75M so retention is most likely out of the question for that length of term.

Obviously his health is a huge question mark.

Offensive numbers are pretty decent so far. Will most likely still be in Selke conversation.

Is Philly looking to move on?

Would teams feel more comfortable after a full season?

What is his value right now AND at the end of the season if he ends up with 20G and 60P with Selke votes?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Seems like the type of player that fits Tortorella to a tee. Why would they want to trade him? There is a reason the Flyers have turned things around this season.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
I can't imagine the Flyers wanting to trade him, at least at this point.

They probably value his veteran presence and lockeroom influence on their younger players.

Unless they go full on tank, I can't see him getting traded anytime soon.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad