Value of: Couturier to BOS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Tough deal to make IMO. With LTIR - the risk is that Couturier is good enough to play, but significantly hampered by his injury. If he can't play - he goes on LTIR and insurance should be covering the contract.

PHI - there is a significant benefit to having that cap available moving forward. That's the bigger benefit than the players likely coming back from BOS.

BOS - with their current team make-up the Bruins absolutely needs to make a deal IMO. Targets include Scheifle, Lindholm, Couturier, with Couturier being the cheapest to get value wise, and having the most risk. I think the Bruins would be better served going after either MS or EL because the risk of having an anchor on the team long term if Couts can play but is hampered..
The Bruins are better served just playing out this season as is and hope to sign one of the big ufa centres next off season.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
He wasn’t healthy til like a week or two remaining, wasn’t he?

I believe so. That’s what you wanted to see though. Seems like players coming off injuries don’t turn it around until they have a full summer to train. Especially seems that way coming off of spine surgery.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
I think the Flyers will be trying to move on from Couturier. If it takes him returning to play and demonstrating he's capable, so be it. There's no rush.
But any team interested would be wise to check in with Briere to see what the terms Philly want are. Could be a very nice bargain for someone willing to accept a long-term contract for a player who was worth it when he last played.

Edit: $7.75 mil for 7 more years, already only the 77th most expensive contract, and will only get cheaper. We'll see how his 23-24 season rolls.

Last edited:

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Couturier was born in Phoenix, Arizona. Even though his father is French Canadian, Sean is a U.S. player.
He represented the US probably because he knew he would not make the Canadian Team. Also he played his pre junior and junior in Quebec and represented team canada many times.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
The Bruins are better served just playing out this season as is and hope to sign one of the big ufa centres next off season.
Certainly one way they can play it, especially with the $4.5M bonus overage from last year. Just seems hard to potentially "waste" a Marchand year, especially when they're in good shape everywhere except center.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
The guy hasn't played since December 2021 and has 7 years left on his contract plus a NMC. He ain't getting traded anytime soon.
He may get traded to Arizona for ltir to get to cap floor eventually but not now.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Certainly one way they can play it, especially with the $4.5M bonus overage from last year. Just seems hard to potentially "waste" a Marchand year, especially when they're in good shape everywhere except center.
I get that but there’s no cap space or assets left to move so we can’t even load up at the deadline if we are in it without really messing things up further. I think this is a season of work with what you have. It’ll be interesting to see what Marchand can do in a full season not playing with Bergie. That’ll be a big adjustment for him.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
1690846485527.png

Ek's SOURCE is feeling it, which means we can close this thread it isin't happening

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Both selke, amazing 2way players that are good because of how fuggin smart they are. That ages very well. But Boston fans worried about age. Just funny.

When did Bergeron have similar injuries in his 30’s?

Player turns 31y and hasn’t played in 1.5 years& carries a massive contract, I wonder why anyone would be worried

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He has bad contract, who would take that on? Has 6 years left and Couturier soon to be 31 with hard mileage on him.
If anyone, it would have to be a team that expects to challenge for a Cup this year, with a desperate need at center, that lacks the kind of assets generally required to get into the conversation for high-end options, and recognizes that the only way to potentially fill that hole with the level of assets they still have available would be to find a player whose price is artificially deflated due to the inherent risk of his health situation.

Not too many of those around, but I can think of one that might potentially fit the bill.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
If anyone, it would have to be a team that expects to challenge for a Cup this year, with a desperate need at center, that lacks the kind of assets generally required to get into the conversation for high-end options, and recognizes that the only way to potentially fill that hole with the level of assets they still have available would be to find a player whose price is artificially deflated due to the inherent risk of his health situation.

Not too many of those around, but I can think of one that might potentially fit the bill.
0.0% chance. No one is taking the risk of that contract. Bruins can afford to save the powder and see how the season develops. Bruins have space next year and there are Cs available.

Reactions: wintersej

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
When did Bergeron have similar injuries in his 30’s?

Player turns 31y and hasn’t played in 1.5 years& carries a massive contract, I wonder why anyone would be worried
I mean if Philly is dumb and sold him at a discount its a risk that would open the bruins window back wide open

I think the two years off have made people forget what a beast couturier was . I see him coming back just as good because he is crazy . If he doesn't work out the bruins still suck

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Couterier @ 50% retained for 2nd + 3rd

Edit: wait he has 7 years dang. Thought he had 4 left only. Way to long ti be retaining as the flyers rebuild should be done in 3 years

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Bruins don't have that kind of caproom

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

Edit: wait he has 7 years dang. Thought he had 4 left only. Way to long ti be retaining as the flyers rebuild should be done in 3 years
The rebuild being done shouldn't mean the cap is all necessarily used

also in 3 years maybe there is a player they want they can get another team to retain the 4 mill on for 4 years

Making it cap neutral ?

I don't think I'd trade him for a 2nd and 3rd but I'm not a flyers fan but I would gladly give that up to get him I'd add for the retention lol

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Bruins don't have that kind of caproom
I'll be perfectly honest, I didn't check the Bruins' cap situation, just kind of assumed Couts would fit into whatever space was vacated by Bergeron (and possibly Krejci) retiring, but if both teams were inclined (obviously the Bruins fan base on here isn't fully behind it, but what team has ever done what their fans want 100% of the time?), the Flyers could take back pieces like Forbort or Grzelcyk.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Yea no way. Even 4 years of retaining makes no sense down the line. The point would be to be bad now and get assets back. He’s got a bad contract but it’s not terrible to a team that needs to win now. I think he coke back and puts up 75 pt next year. Should be able to get good assets for him after that.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'll be perfectly honest, I didn't check the Bruins' cap situation, just kind of assumed Couts would fit into whatever space was vacated by Bergeron (and possibly Krejci) retiring, but if both teams were inclined (obviously the Bruins fan base on here isn't fully behind it, but what team has ever done what their fans want 100% of the time?), the Flyers could take back pieces like Forbort or Grzelcyk.
I don't know Bruins cap neither. But heard they against cap last deadline. Plus they had big increases to Past and their goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad