Pre-Game Talk: Countdown thread to 24-25 Season (T - 12 hours)

Who's going to be the surprise of this camp ?

• Beck

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • Kapanen

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Heineman

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Mesar

Votes: 16 6.5%
  • Engstrom

Votes: 36 14.7%
  • Farrell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trudeau

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • F. Xhekaj

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Tuch

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • Hughes

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Davidson

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Kidney

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
It's interesting to compare which players come from the Bergevin era and which is from Hughes era :

==> Bergevin
Suzuki
Caufield
Anderson
Armia
Dvorak
Gallagher
Evans
Kapanen
Harvey-Pinard
Pezzetta
Guhle
Savard
Xhekaj
Struble
Montembeault
Primeau
---------
Roy
Mailloux
Farrell
Tuch
Dobes

==> Hughes
Dach
Slafkovsky
Newhook
Heineman
Barré-Boulet
Laine
Matheson
Hutson
Barron
-------
Demidov
Beck
Engstrom
Hage
Reinbacher
Mesar
Fowler

This is still, in many ways, Marc Bergevin's team. Despite his flaws, we must admit that Timmins last few drafts have been pretty strong, and has allowed Hughes to do a real reconstruction.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It's interesting to compare which players come from the Bergevin era and which is from Hughes era :

==> Bergevin
Suzuki
Caufield
Anderson
Armia
Dvorak
Gallagher
Evans
Kapanen
Harvey-Pinard
Pezzetta
Guhle
Savard
Xhekaj
Struble
Montembeault
Primeau
---------
Roy
Mailloux
Farrell
Tuch
Dobes

==> Hughes
Dach
Slafkovsky
Newhook
Heineman
Barré-Boulet
Laine
Matheson
Hutson
Barron
-------
Demidov
Beck
Engstrom
Hage
Reinbacher
Mesar
Fowler

This is still, in many ways, Marc Bergevin's team. Despite his flaws, we must admit that Timmins last few drafts have been pretty strong, and has allowed Hughes to do a real reconstruction.

All the names that are draftees after 2017 is a lot more Timmins/Lapointe/Churla, as Bergevin was put aside for drafting after TT was named AGM. Our draft picks got increasingly much better after that point too. An example of why you can't give the credit to Bergevin, go watch when they drafted Caufield. Bergevin was just itchin to trade the pick but all three scouts wanted CC and Timmins told Bergevin "no". Caufield, Kapanen, Guhle, Dobes, Primeau, Mailloux, Roy, Farrell, Struble and Tuch are all because of the three scouts.

What is good after those i named are removed is just a broken clock being right twice a day.

Bergevin is a dunce.

I am hyped for Hutson Dach Slaf Suzuki Caufield and and and that's about it
also wanna see JackEye destoys Reaves

Monty is also a WIP i like to watch.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
A waste of talent and energy.
Destroy Right Wingers with bone crushing checks as they try to enter our zone.
Make Reaves look stupid and undisciplined running around trying to stir up shit.
The habs as a team should be very hungry tonight, and should be playing physical for sure. As a team they will want to win and am sure they remember the BS hit on Laine.

Anderson always plays well vs the Leafs, let's hope he throws his weight around tonight!!

Reactions: Rapala

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I reported my muting habits every time it happened last season which is every freakin' time TVA has the french game...
Full Mute both networks even though I like Maxime Lapierre.

TSN is also unbearable depending who is doing our game even Mike Johnson started to became annoying exposure sickness no doubt.
So In English I found myself down to Tessa and Pounder as the only people I would even consider listening to.

RDS is still tops with Houde and Denis even though Pierre's vision seems to be slowly going.
Every so often he'll describe stuff that never happened out there.
Foster Hewitt was very good at that in his declining years I think he forgot he was no longer a Radio Guy and that we'd notice :laugh:

I don't like the RDS' intermission but I'm not sure if it's just Alain Crete.
I keep asking myself why is a chipmunk hosting a hockey panel.
Finally there is Daniele Savageau who sends me scurrying for a smoke even though I don't smoke and haven't in more than a decade.
That is my unplugged take on Hockey Broadcasting in our region.
I cant stand TVA lol. Bossy was the only one i liked listening to there.

Houde has been getting weirder for sure - he strikes me as more petty than ever. The game where Laine got hurt - he just couldnt drop it! It started with a rant about cheap shots and the refs being blind, then he tried to dial it down because the "refs on the ice are some of the best", then Xhekaj jumped Paré and then it became "This wouldnt have happened if the refs were doing their jobs!" and by the end of the show, everything was ok - The game is fast and it was probably an accident. Marc Denis was trying to change the "energy" but PH was making it negative all the time. Weird moments.

I figured it may have something to do with the loss of his brother, but who knows. "Et le buuuuuuuuuuutttt!" is a classic for me.

Is Daniele making you want to smoke because she is "that good"? :D

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

==> Bergevin
Suzuki
Caufield
Anderson
Armia
Dvorak
Gallagher
Evans
Kapanen
Harvey-Pinard
Pezzetta
Guhle
Savard
Xhekaj
Struble
Montembeault
Primeau
---------
Roy
Mailloux
Farrell
Tuch
Dobes

==> Hughes
Dach
Slafkovsky
Newhook
Heineman
Barré-Boulet
Laine
Matheson
Hutson
Barron
-------
Demidov
Beck
Engstrom
Hage
Reinbacher
Mesar
Fowler

I have very little interest in which assets a 10 year process left us with other than what we will be able to do with them.
Are we are trying to put a coat of varnish on an untreated deck that has been exposed to the elements for a decade?
By the time we've flushed out all the remnants kept or traded anything of value what are we left with.
We were a 24th place team whose top three assets were not redeemable.
After three years of above average asset management we are still a 28th place team with immovable property.
Seriously by the time we do win anything if we win anything the previous regime's contribution can be measured in decimals.
So why even bring it up?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Once Laine is reactivated his LTIR space disappear, it doesn't get added to Price's. And if you are going to use LTIR to be able to fit ~$2m for an entire season, you failed as a GM to clear some cheap contract to accrue space. It's way better to accrue space than use LTIR.

Red Wings are only $1.3m under the cap and their accrued cap space at the TDL will be ~$6.1m.
Flyers are $2.2m under the cap and their accrued cap space at the TDL will be ~$10m.
Stars are $2.3m under the cap and their accrued cap at the TDL will be ~$10.7m.

Habs could have easily started $2m under the cap had management realized that trying to squizze something out of everything you don't want on your line-up isn't how this work and that you don't need to use all 23 players roster slots either. But instead, Habs will probably have near $4m overage deducted on next year cap ceiling.

Moving Price to LTIR mid-season helps the Habs because contracts are accrued daily, so $2m cap space can bring in $6m+ contract mid-season or later. It keeps our options open & we won't have any issues at TD to either bring on a contract to help another team, or retain on one of our own players (Dvorak).

The Price LTIR becomes more valuable the longer we wait to do it.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Once Laine is reactivated his LTIR space disappear, it doesn't get added to Price's. And if you are going to use LTIR to be able to fit ~$2m for an entire season, you failed as a GM to clear some cheap contract to accrue space. It's way better to accrue space than use LTIR.

Red Wings are only $1.3m under the cap and their accrued cap space at the TDL will be ~$6.1m.
Flyers are $2.2m under the cap and their accrued cap space at the TDL will be ~$10m.
Stars are $2.3m under the cap and their accrued cap at the TDL will be ~$10.7m.

Habs could have easily started $2m under the cap had management realized that trying to squizze something out of everything you don't want on your line-up isn't how this work and that you don't need to use all 23 players roster slots either. But instead, Habs will probably have near $4m overage deducted on next year cap ceiling.

No one cares about $4m in potential bonuses next season when $4.2m is coming off in retained salary and we're going to have a minimum of $24m in cap space next season with no significant signings to have to negotiate.

We can open even more cap space if we can move Anderson with retention and buy-out Gallagher.

There's zero concerns with cap space for next season. We could probably trade Price because teams may actually struggle to reach cap floor. Cap is expected to be $92m.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Are you sure about this?
The key to Bonus Overages will be Slaf.
Slaf max bonus is 3.5M
Hutson 750K
Guhle 420K
Struble 57K

Not sure what the others are but Slaf gets
250K for each of these (max 4 can be earned)
20G - got this one last yr, 35A, 60 points, top 6 in TOI among Habs Forwards, top 3 in +/- Habs F, 0.73 PPG,

He gets 2M if he meets either of these
Top 10 in NHL forwards in G/A/Pts or PPG min 41 GP
win major award Hart, selke, Richard, conn smythe
1st or 2nd team allstar.

Hutson's appear to be schedule A like Slafs 1st group 250K each max 3. Dmen thresholds are lower
10G/25A/40 pts Top 4 in TOI among Habs D, top 3 in +/- Dmen, .49 pts per game (min 41 games) end of season all rookie team.

So Slafs schedule A seem attainable or some of them.
Hutson may be attainable
If slaf earns the schedule B 2M I will gladly thak the overage on that one

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal

==> Bergevin
Suzuki
Caufield
Anderson
Armia
Dvorak
Gallagher
Evans
Kapanen
Harvey-Pinard
Pezzetta
Guhle
Savard
Xhekaj
Struble
Montembeault
Primeau
---------
Roy
Mailloux
Farrell
Tuch
Dobes

==> Hughes
Dach
Slafkovsky
Newhook
Heineman
Barré-Boulet
Laine
Matheson
Hutson
Barron
-------
Demidov
Beck
Engstrom
Hage
Reinbacher
Mesar
Fowler

That turd Bergevin would have screwed up the development of whatever prospects we had if he was still around. You could clearly see Caufield and Suzuki's game regressing during Dumb-Dumb final few weeks with us.

All of them would have had a way different career path under the old regime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad