Speculation: Could Alex Galchenyuk be the Habs leading scorer THIS year?

• Thread starter FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
  • Start date
  • PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
While I am glad Chucky is putting up points and playing up to the standard we expect him to for his progression level, but anyone else wondering how it is that we haven't seen more goals from him via his crazy wrister? Same goes for Eller ftm. Seems like we are missing sniping on our team more than even lucky bounce goals. His breakaway goal in CBJ was sick. It boggles my mind that he's not been able to replicate that in SOs this year. He even tried going to the right side/backhand on the last attempt. Nitpicking I know, but his hands seem like some of the best in the league. Also, his shot is insane, but he never gets it off in time/it goes seriously wide. He could definitely lead us in pts, though I'd like to see more goals just cuz he can. Again, same for Eller.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
While I am glad Chucky is putting up points and playing up to the standard we expect him to for his progression level, but anyone else wondering how it is that we haven't seen more goals from him via his crazy wrister? Same goes for Eller ftm. Seems like we are missing sniping on our team more than even lucky bounce goals. His breakaway goal in CBJ was sick. It boggles my mind that he's not been able to replicate that in SOs this year. He even tried going to the right side/backhand on the last attempt. Nitpicking I know, but his hands seem like some of the best in the league. Also, his shot is insane, but he never gets it off in time/it goes seriously wide. He could definitely lead us in pts, though I'd like to see more goals just cuz he can. Again, same for Eller.

I think Galchenyuk is going through the same process as Subban went through 2 years ago. He gets a little overexcited when he's in a position to shoot and often ends up overdoing it, which often translates into a hard, hard shot that misses 10 feet wide. Once he gets more confidence and learn to pace himself a little bit out there, I think the goals à la Ovechkin/Semin/Kovalchuk will come.

And since I'm speaking of confidence, I think he made huge progress in that department compared to last year. He's starting to impose himself and he really battles hard for the puck now. We've seen him steal the puck deep in the offensive zone quite a few times now, and he seems more composed when he's creating plays. I think his upside is through the roof. If he somehow manages to improve his skating and his explosion a bit, he'll be one of this league's top players, I'm sure.

The more I watch him play, the more he reminds me of Malkin. Screw the Hossa comparison. He truly is a slightly smaller Malkin out there when he wants to.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
If he is our leading scorer, chances are the Habs miss the playoffs. He's good but he's far too young to carry a team on his back.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
If he played center, he would already lead the team.

The problem I have with him playing centre is that I love seeing him play with Eller, but your point is well-taken.

You're right, Lebowski, he'll come around. I'm already impressed with how strong he is compared to last year. He wins more stick battles than I would have thought.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I don't think he passes Subban, but the rest is VERY possible. I'm hoping for MaxPac to really step it up though.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I think you're forgetting about Subban... unless you mean forwards specifically?

I think Galchenyuk has a real shot as the top scoring forward but I think subban will top the players in points by the end of the season.

habscup*

I think Galchenyuk is going through the same process as Subban went through 2 years ago. He gets a little overexcited when he's in a position to shoot and often ends up overdoing it, which often translates into a hard, hard shot that misses 10 feet wide. Once he gets more confidence and learn to pace himself a little bit out there, I think the goals à la Ovechkin/Semin/Kovalchuk will come.

And since I'm speaking of confidence, I think he made huge progress in that department compared to last year. He's starting to impose himself and he really battles hard for the puck now. We've seen him steal the puck deep in the offensive zone quite a few times now, and he seems more composed when he's creating plays. I think his upside is through the roof. If he somehow manages to improve his skating and his explosion a bit, he'll be one of this league's top players, I'm sure.

The more I watch him play, the more he reminds me of Malkin. Screw the Hossa comparison. He truly is a slightly smaller Malkin out there when he wants to.

Please don't compare him to Malkin. Malkin can do things with the puck that Galchenyuk could never do, Galchenyuk has a lot to learn, but stop with the crazy hype.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I think you're forgetting about Subban... unless you mean forwards specifically?

I think Galchenyuk has a real shot as the top scoring forward but I think subban will top the players in points by the end of the season.

I doubt Subban finishes as the top scorer. I believe no D has ever led the team in pts. Markov ALMOST did in 08-09 where he had 64 pts in 78 games before missing the last 4 games so Kovalev overtook him with 65 pts.

It's extremelly rare to have a D lead the team in scoring... Karlsson, Green or even Lidstrom have never done it. Of course we don't have an Ovechkin or a Datsyuk but you get the idea.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
While im glad galchenyuk is doing well, pacioretty should be leading the team in points right now. Hes playing like a grinder and it worries me. Please dont be chris higgins 2.0 pacio...

Last edited by a moderator:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Please don't compare him to Malkin. Malkin can do things with the puck that Galchenyuk could never do, Galchenyuk has a lot to learn, but stop with the crazy hype.

I don't think he's out of line hear. Galchenyuk certainly reminds me of Malkin but his game hasn't matured yet to reach Malkin's exosphere, it will take a while, if ever to duplicate his career.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If he is our leading scorer, chances are the Habs miss the playoffs. He's good but he's far too young to carry a team on his back.

Don't agree, he could very well lead the team in scoring and the team could still make the playoffs. That being said I don't think he will this season.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I don't think he's out of line hear. Galchenyuk certainly reminds me of Malkin but his game hasn't matured yet to reach Malkin's exosphere, it will take a while, if ever to duplicate his career.

I love Galchenyuk and he's definetly on track to be a top 15 forward, but come on, Malkin can be considered a generational talent. 85 points his first season, 100+ in his second. I'll be excatic is Galch gets over 80 a few season in his career.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Galchenyuk on the line juggling: "It's not that big of a deal, if everyone would just focus on winning instead we'd be a lot more successful"

This kid's mature beyond his years

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
I love Galchenyuk and he's definetly on track to be a top 15 forward, but come on, Malkin can be considered a generational talent. 85 points his first season, 100+ in his second. I'll be excatic is Galch gets over 80 a few season in his career.

Malkin was 20-21 in his first season in the NHL. Also had 2 years in the KHL.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Malkin was 20-21 in his first season in the NHL. Also had 2 years in the KHL.

True, a lot of rookies benefited from the lockout, notably the 2003,2004,2005 draft class. Galchenyuk will start next season at 20 years old with 2 years of NHL experience. If he gets 85 points I'll take back what I said :laugh:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I doubt Subban finishes as the top scorer. I believe no D has ever led the team in pts. Markov ALMOST did in 08-09 where he had 64 pts in 78 games before missing the last 4 games so Kovalev overtook him with 65 pts.

It's extremelly rare to have a D lead the team in scoring... Karlsson, Green or even Lidstrom have never done it. Of course we don't have an Ovechkin or a Datsyuk but you get the idea.
Leetch and Zubov say hi!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad