Speculation: Could Alex Galchenyuk be the Habs leading scorer THIS year?

• Thread starter FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
  • Start date

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'm pretty sure Galchenyuk won't slump. He went through rough patches last season, and learned to get through them and face adversity/slumps like a champ. He's more used to it already, and is an exceptional talent. Losing a year because of an injury toughens your character.

Gallagher, meanwhile, still hasn't faced that much adversity. I expect him to slump. And I expect Galchenyuk to keep improving his pace.
A concussion? Taking a beating, but always getting back up? He's faced it, and overcome it.

onemorecup*

If Therrien insist to use DD and Gionta over Galchenyuk, Eller and Gallagher, I will ****ing lose it. We need to stop hiding our young and talented players from the PP. That's where the can show their skill. It's easier to produce and production leads to confidence and confidence leads to playing better.

27 pts for a third liner is a good production for full season, its even better if he's a 19yr old rookie playing on the third line, its even better 26 of his 27pts were at EV... and on top of that he got that in a 48 games season.

So if Galchy is used wisely, which is top 6+PP time, I don't see why he can't challenged MaxPac or Pleks or Briere for lead scorer.

Let's not forget he ended April with 12 pts in 14 games. 12 even strength points that is. Not a single point on the PP. So let's imagine how many more points he would have gotten if he got DD's PP time knowing how good of a scorer AND passer Galchy is.

agreed my friend :rant:

what the f , we waited 20 years for a #1 center , he delivers and was hands down our best skilled forward last year in limited miniutes and now he has to play second fiddle again to dd and other midgets who have no future with this team

I can understand if there was a legit #1 ahead of him , Pleks is fine but he is no Galchy in the talent department

this is comical , all I hear is he isnt ready , give me a fng break , if rail thin RNH can play center from day one , Galchy at 205 is ready to go next year

dude will be a superstar , finallly for f sakes after 20 years or so , we finally have a star upfront and we are going to hold him back for who dd, Briere , :laugh::laugh:

most of our forwards cant carry his jock strap , DD with #1 linemates and first wave of pp time played like CRAP last year , couldnt generate offence to save his life , how the hell can Glachy be worse , cmon :shakehead

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Hi,

I know there's not a lot of chances to see that happening next season, but COULD he still make it with the right ice time and teammates?

We often talk about Chuckie being an elite player and future franchise cen... and blablabla... so that means he should be able to play more 17 minutes per game at 19/20 years old.

Assuming Desharnais sucks, Eller is injured and Pleckanec plays well with Bourque and Briere, I'm sure Galchenyuk would be the heart and soul of a line with Pacioretty & Gallagher.

I would easily see this:

Pacioretty: 35 goals, 30 assists, 65 pts
Galchenyuk: 25 goals, 45 assists, 70 pts
Gallagher: 25 goals, 25 assists, 50 pts

Galchenyuk played over 100 games in 2012-2013, but most of those games were as a 3rd line winger.
He will be able to play 90 ish games (with playoffs :yo:) on a 2nd line in 2013-14.

Keep in mind, we are talking about a player potentialy drafted first overall and remember before the start of the 2013 season, most of us were believing Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole would still be our first line.

It sure would be nice to see Galchenyuk put up 70pts. As we sit, his potential line mates are Eller, Prust, Briere and Gionta I guess. Looks like he's gonna start the year playing left wing. Unless DD switch to the left side, Galchenyuk won't center a line. Just a question, anyone here ever though about Plekanec playing the wing/center?
Besides, lines changes often in a games.

5/5 lines?

Plekanec-Eller-Gionta
Max-Glachenyuk-Gallagher
Bourque-DD-Briere
Moen-Prust-White

couris

Dec 28, 2005
Morrow-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Eller-Briere
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta/Leblanc

NewbieOfGames

Apr 10, 2013
Québec, CAN
Team leader in points next year? Subban :)

or

Patches.

Patches will keep shooting the puck 10 time a game and get 1 assist a game. He wont pass, he wont think, he will shoot, thats all he do, all he can do, all he will do, all i expect him to do.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
A concussion? Taking a beating, but always getting back up? He's faced it, and overcome it.

I'm talking about scoring slumps and opponents adjusting to his game. Galchenyuk had more of it.

The fact Gallagher goes in front of the net is overstated because he's smaller too, but Galchenyuk, for a 18 years old green rookie, scored a WHOLE LOT of his goals 5-6 feet away from the crease, too.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't know why everyone assumes the coach is a complete idiot. Yes, he brought Galchy along slowly last year, but that's what you do with rookies. He got more ice time as the season went on and was far more productive. Next year he'll get even more ice time. Therrien will want to keep his job. He only has a contract through next season. Therefore he'll play the players who will best help the team win. Simple.

Even strength points, regular season + playoffs:

1. Galchenyuk 28
2. Pacioretty 27
3. Eller 25
4. Gallagher 25
5. Desharnais 22
6. Plekanec 19

Galchenyuk is already our top points producer at even strength. He beat everyone, with limited time.

I don't think it's a question of "if" he'll get more ice time, he will. This much is obvious. Galchenyuk and Eller were by far our best forwards by the end of the season (add Gallagher to the list) and his ice time went up dramatically towards the end of the season and in the playoffs.

Galch got 1:03 average PP time during the regular season, 1:53 a game in the playoffs. So already Therien is giving him more PP time. It's not too much of a step up from 1:53 a game to a normal amount, like 2:30 a game.

And the solution to the "too many centres!!" problem is that Galchenyuk will of course play left wing, beside Eller, on what will basically be our # 1 line. Briere won't cut into Galchenyuk's time, at even strength or on the PP.

He will lead the team in points next season, book it.
I couldn't understand MT's use of him in the playoffs. He was the best player on the ice for us and then he'd get benched...

Cool that he led us in even strength points too... again though, why no PP time?

That's part of the reason why the Briere signing pissed me off so much, Gally will have to fight another guy who isn't part of our future for PP time.
didn't Seguin lead Bruins in scoring as a 19 year old? i guess it's possible.
Really elite players lead their teams from day one or their second season. Yzerman was an 87 point player as a rookie and Sakic led from his second season on...

Not saying Gally has to do that this year to be elite but it's certainly possible with elite players.
agreed my friend :rant:

what the f , we waited 20 years for a #1 center , he delivers and was hands down our best skilled forward last year in limited miniutes and now he has to play second fiddle again to dd and other midgets who have no future with this team

I can understand if there was a legit #1 ahead of him , Pleks is fine but he is no Galchy in the talent department

this is comical , all I hear is he isnt ready , give me a fng break , if rail thin RNH can play center from day one , Galchy at 205 is ready to go next year

dude will be a superstar , finallly for f sakes after 20 years or so , we finally have a star upfront and we are going to hold him back for who dd, Briere , :laugh::laugh:

most of our forwards cant carry his jock strap , DD with #1 linemates and first wave of pp time played like CRAP last year , couldnt generate offence to save his life , how the hell can Glachy be worse , cmon :shakehead
Don't know about that (though I totally agree about it being stupid that he's stuck behind players with inferior talent and potential on the PP) but he has more talent and potential than any forward we've had since... well, since Lafleur.

This team hasn't had a true elite forward since number 10 skated with his hair flowing down the right wing. I know that seems crazy to say but it's true. We've had good forwards Naslund (our last top ten scorer), Richer, Smith, Turgeon, Kovalev... but really nobody who could be said to be a true superstar.

I hope it happens but I'm not expecting it. If he gives us 30 goals and 80-90 points a year I will be ecstatic. If he could get to 100 points that would be beyond anything I could hope for. It will be fun watching him develop over the coming seasons. I just wish we could've paired him with a power forward this year. He, Max and Gallagher would be interesting but they may want to have Prust fill that role so that Max can play with DD. Because if Max doesn't play with DD I think DD becomes really, really useless.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
I couldn't understand MT's use of him in the playoffs. He was the best player on the ice for us and then he'd get benched...

Cool that he led us in even strength points too... again though, why no PP time?

That's part of the reason why the Briere signing pissed me off so much, Gally will have to fight another guy who isn't part of our future for PP time.

If he gets to fight for PP time vs Brière, that's very good news. PP time should be based on performance. I'm afraid the PP time will be automatically given to Brière (and Gionta, and DD...).

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If he gets to fight for PP time vs Brière, that's very good news. PP time should be based on performance. I'm afraid the PP time will be automatically given to Brière (and Gionta, and DD...).
He was our leading even strength point producer last year... you'd think it would've warranted more PP time for him. It didn't....

I'm afraid you're right.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Did your opinion change?

After 21 games:

4 goals - 11 assists - 15 points
Habs leading foward in points, only 2 points behind Subban.

I'm asking the same question:

Could Alex Galchenyuk be the Habs leading scorer this year?

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
It's fully possible. In hindsight, the only forward that was probable to get more points than him was Patches, but that's not happening right now. He'll probably finish top 3 behind Subban and Gallagher.

Most of his points have come from his insane chemistry with Gallagher. Well Gallagher is now serving time as a spark plug for the 2 slumpers, which will hurt Galchenyuk's performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00