Speculation: Could Alex Galchenyuk be the Habs leading scorer THIS year?

• Thread starter FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
  • Start date

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Could he? Yes, he's a very special talent. Will he have the the playing time to do it? Probably not.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Considering he'll be on the bench watching the almighty unit of Briere-DD-Gionta-Bouillon-Gorges

I'll say, no.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Not with Desharnais and Gionta on the powerplay.

But seriously, we should be expecting huge things from this guy and everything indicates that he's capable of it. 3rd overall pick, extremely young and talented, good skater and great shot... the sky's the limit. He could be the next (...) anybody.

I think that Eller is going to follow Plekanec's development while Galchenyuk is going to blossom into an entirely unique and special talent. And if he does in THIS upcoming season, then us missing out on impactful players on the open-market doesn't really matter as we developed from within.

Let's just hope Therrien gives them ample opportunity.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
this is his 2nd year if he doesn't put up big numbers i wouldn't mind we trade him for some picks and prospects.

now, does he have to be the leading scorer? no... but he's got to put up 60 points minimum otherwise he can GTFO

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
this is his 2nd year if he doesn't put up big numbers i wouldn't mind we trade him for some picks and prospects.

now, does he have to be the leading scorer? no... but he's got to put up 60 points minimum otherwise he can GTFO

Apologize if my sarcasm metre is not working but wtf are you talking about?

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Not with Desharnais and Gionta on the powerplay.

But seriously, we should be expecting huge things from this guy and everything indicates that he's capable of it. 3rd overall pick, extremely young and talented, good skater and great shot... the sky's the limit. He could be the next (...) anybody.

I think that Eller is going to follow Plekanec's development while Galchenyuk is going to blossom into an entirely unique and special talent. And if he does in THIS upcoming season, then us missing out on impactful players on the open-market doesn't really matter as we developed from within.

Let's just hope Therrien gives them ample opportunity.

If Therrien insist to use DD and Gionta over Galchenyuk, Eller and Gallagher, I will ****ing lose it. We need to stop hiding our young and talented players from the PP. That's where the can show their skill. It's easier to produce and production leads to confidence and confidence leads to playing better.

27 pts for a third liner is a good production for full season, its even better if he's a 19yr old rookie playing on the third line, its even better 26 of his 27pts were at EV... and on top of that he got that in a 48 games season.

So if Galchy is used wisely, which is top 6+PP time, I don't see why he can't challenged MaxPac or Pleks or Briere for lead scorer.

Let's not forget he ended April with 12 pts in 14 games. 12 even strength points that is. Not a single point on the PP. So let's imagine how many more points he would have gotten if he got DD's PP time knowing how good of a scorer AND passer Galchy is.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
I can see that happening with Gallagher more than Galchenyuk. I agree that Pacioretty will lead the Habs in points again.

Yeah. I think Gallagher is the classic example of someone who is
vunerable to a sophomore slump. Because he over performed expectations
both with role, and production.

Because Galchenyuk was used much more conservatively, he shouldn't
have any such problems.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
If ice-time, position and power-play time is divvied up strictly on merit and competence not favoritism, his point total should spike up.

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
There is a logjam at center, unless he is at wing and forces MT's hand by playing well and gets first line and PP minutes I dont think so.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
There is a logjam at center, unless he is at wing and forces MT's hand by playing well and gets first line and PP minutes I dont think so.

I think it's the other way around. If he's Center it's a question of time before his line will become the first line.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
We need a new management, FFS.

Someone who believes in his kids, someone who believes in performance. Not someone that sticks with his idea and never adjusts.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Why are we putting more pressure on the kid?

This is a speculation thread, I don't see how it adds pressure to Alex Galchecyuk himself.

He's 20 y/o

He is actually 19 years old until February 12 of next year

and he's not Crosby.

You are right, he isn't Crosby, he didn't get 102 points in his first season and he hasn't been named captain at age 20 (still a year left but doubtful).

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
I think Therrien will still use him conservatively so not to really rush his development. I have no doubt in my mind that Galchenyuk will be a PPG player, but give him another year or two to get there.

I still think Pacioretty will lead the team in scoring again, hoping for 70+ points, but Galchenyuk could definitely not be that far behind, if given more TOI.

For example, in Tyler Seguin's rookie season, he had 22 points in 74 games, with 12:12 minutes of ice time per game. In his second year, he had 67 points in 81 games, averaging 16:56 of ice time per game. Now, Galchenyuk had 27 points in 48 games and 12:19 of ice time per game, slightly more than Seguin. If Therrien gives Galchenyuk similar ice time to what Seguin got in his second year, we could probably see production similar to Seguin's, but the biggest factor in whether it will happen or not is the ice time.

By the way, the ice time stats were from www.thehockeynews.com

Habz2006

Sep 28, 2006
I might surprise quite a few people on this board by saying this but I really think Gallagher will lead the team in GOALS next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad