Post-Game Talk: Cougar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I agree with this.

The Rangers didn’t have a PP until 1:26 to go in the 2nd period. They did end up with 2 PP and didn’t score. I get that. But there’s no way Florida committed not a single penalty for 38:34.

Not blaming the refs. This is just the reality and it favors the Panthers
I don't think a minute passed during that 38:34 where they didn't commit one.

We started doing it too and we did a bit better after that. Florida got fewer chances once Lindgren started to just pick people up and throw them.

We have to keep it up in game 2. If that's the rules, adapt to it.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Seeing how good this Rangers team is beating Carolina like we did winning the presidents trophy knowing how hard it is to get here. Drury looks really bad not going all in at the deadline to really get the best players possible. Roslovic has been ok but buchnevich vatrano guentzel all much better players. Wennberg is ridiculous. Good defensively but a joke with the puck on his stick. Everyone not named Gabe Perrault should have been made available.

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
The puck management was AWWWWFUL.

I thought our puck management was great against Carolina. They also brought a fierce forecheck so pretending Florida is big boy hockey and we've never seen it before doesn't feel accurate.

We hit the outbreak every time against the Canes. That forces them to either f*** off or stay the course and just give up 3-4 goals every game. They chose the latter.

This team is not more aggressive than Carolina and they're certainly a lot slower. What they are is better defensively, but that's no excuse to not get our rush going against an aggressive opponent. We've done it already. Bad puck management is on us and we need to correct it in game 2.

Canes and Cats forecheck very similar, 100% agree. The difference is CAR played the puck, lots of fly-bys. There are no fly-bys from FL, even if the puck is rimmed they finish their checks and they support the first forechecker extremely well. Someone is always on the boards or up high.

Every line, every player outside of Reinhart who was imo the worst Panther last night. NY D is obv banged up, Lindgren and Fox look shaky. If they continue to pummel them on dump and chase it will eventually wear them down.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Mika, Kreider, Trocheck, and Panarin need to step up offensively. I can't remember the last time Panarin and Mika scored a goal in the playoffs...probably early in the Carolina series. Time for them to get going again.

What more does this guy need to do? He leads the team in goals in the playoffs. Singlehandedly scored a NHT in Game 6 vs. CAR. I think he's been just fine overall.

I definitely agree with you on Mika and Panarin. Especially Panarin. This postseason was always going to be a referendum on him and he, by and large, hasn't done enough to change the narrative of him as a playoff performer.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Mika, Kreider, Trocheck, and Panarin need to step up offensively. I can't remember the last time Panarin and Mika scored a goal in the playoffs...probably early in the Carolina series. Time for them to get going again.
Trocheck just scored in our last game before this one. Everyone you mentioned had a point in game 6.

Weird playoffs to blame the top guys.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Oh and you thought they played well? What did they do better than the Panthers?
The game was close enough. With a bit of a puck luck it easily could have been tied going into the 3rd.

But of course the fan base is back to hand-wringing and finger pointing. Typical

DevilDog99

May 5, 2018
Jones is a much more dynamic skater with the puck on his stick. Which is what's really missing with Fox at the moment. Obviously not a huge part of his game (compared to Makar/Hughes), but he could break down defenses, when needed. In that regard, I think Jones would be the guy on PP1. But, it doesn't feel worth getting into, because it's 100% not happening anyways.
It's never gonna happen, but Fox should sit. He's a cripple at this point.
I couldn’t agree more. Fox is a liability out there. When he was high stucked and fell down like he took a bullet through the collarbone and then didn’t clear the zone- effectively killing an offensive chance- that was it for me. He is adding nothing out there.

Trocheck just scored in our last game before this one. Everyone you mentioned had a point in game 6.

Weird playoffs to blame the top guys.
Trocheck is Trocheck. A playoff guy. Same for Kreids. Zbad Panarin and Fox are who they are- trash in the playoffs when it counts. Gutless and heartless. Goodrow has as many goals as zbads this playoffs.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Seeing how good this Rangers team is beating Carolina like we did winning the presidents trophy knowing how hard it is to get here. Drury looks really bad not going all in at the deadline to really get the best players possible. Roslovic has been ok but buchnevich vatrano guentzel all much better players. Wennberg is ridiculous. Good defensively but a joke with the puck on his stick. Everyone not named Gabe Perrault should have been made available.
Carolina went all in. Guetzel played well but Carolina still lost.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Aside from Ferraro fawning over the Panthers every chance he got, I wasn't all that impressed. I thought Carolina played harder than they did last night. Rangers beat themselves, turn the page and move on.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Trocheck is Trocheck. A playoff guy. Same for Kreids. Zbad Panarin and Fox are who they are- trash in the playoffs when it counts. Gutless and heartless. Goodrow has as many goals as zbads this playoffs.
You said the same crap about Fox. Do assists not count anymore?

Zibanejad has 14 points.

Without Zibanejad, you would have watched game 1 of Carolina vs Florida last night, and trust me, it would have been even more boring.

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
Hall of famer - Larry Brooks;

“Alternatively, I would not be shocked if Wheeler replaces Roslovic in the lineup and on the line with Kreider and Zibanejad. Roslovic’s game is based on IQ and subtlety. Wheeler, at 6-foot-5, and the Rangers aren’t going to beat the Panthers by being subtle.”

“But do you know what was a bit odd? That head coach Peter Laviolette, who has talked about the importance of being able to play four lines as it has applied to decisions regarding whether Matt Rempe would or would not dress, would go down in this one using about five forwards for the third period.”

Absurd we cut the bench so early .

Reactions: Boris Zubov

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
Panarin reverted back to his prior form of skate in along the boards, stop and pass to nothing.

Fox can barely move out there. No one else can move the puck.

4th line is basically useless out there outside of penalty kills.

Coaching need to adjust to the Panthers forecheck game.

Maybe rely less on our trade deadline pickups that seemed to have done their job, but don't have much to give at this point, particularly Wennberg. Switch it up with Rempe or Wheeler. I would take Vesey out if it weren't for his PK, or Cuylle but this team needs someone to finish a check.

Both teams seemed relatively flat last night. Or it's a function of the defensive game both teams had. Or both. Panthers seemed beatable. Especially given their single goal was pretty soft that I'm sure Igor wants back. It took them a couple periods to settle in but they got their chances in the 3rd but luck wasn't on their side. It happens.

However. They also need to collectively take their heads out of their asses. So many boneheaded plays and passes. Broken plays. Turn overs. Bad judgement. If not PL, someone on the team needs to step up and calm them down.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Zibanejad and Panarin have become PP merchants in these two rounds (so far) of the Playoffs.

Their 5v5 offense is entirely too rush-dependent, which becomes neutered when teams figure out how to slow our zone exits with an aggressive forecheck.

The two of them either need to figure out a better way to push the puck through the neutral zone 5v5 or change their games entirely. Because this ain't it against teams that pressure us all over the ice. We've seen this movie before and it ain't good.

KotsyJr

49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS
May 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
www.bitsandglory.com
I wasn't even mad really. The game was so boring. Florida was suffocating, but at the end of the day we had quite a few golden opportunities to score. Hopefully we just bury those in Game 2, Igor stops turning the puck over and maybe hit a little more?

Reactions: Ail

HANK30

Brady 4-3 in SBs without Patriot cheating
What more does this guy need to do? He leads the team in goals in the playoffs. Singlehandedly scored a NHT in Game 6 vs. CAR. I think he's been just fine overall.

I definitely agree with you on Mika and Panarin. Especially Panarin. This postseason was always going to be a referendum on him and he, by and large, hasn't done enough to change the narrative of him as a playoff performer.

For Kreider, I meant in this series - it's only one game but we need his offense to beat FLorida. He's one of the guys the team feeds off of. He's been a beast so far in the playoffs.

Reactions: Mike in Houston

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Here's the thing, I'm an "analytics guy."

The whole thing about analytics is that it's supposed to lend insight into what behaviors are sustainable on offense when you have to play the same team seven times and they know what you're gonna do.

Mika Zibanejad has 42 points in his last 38 playoff games.

If you can prove to me that you can keep scoring goals, all I care about is goals.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Hall of famer - Larry Brooks;

“Alternatively, I would not be shocked if Wheeler replaces Roslovic in the lineup and on the line with Kreider and Zibanejad. Roslovic’s game is based on IQ and subtlety. Wheeler, at 6-foot-5, and the Rangers aren’t going to beat the Panthers by being subtle.”

“But do you know what was a bit odd? That head coach Peter Laviolette, who has talked about the importance of being able to play four lines as it has applied to decisions regarding whether Matt Rempe would or would not dress, would go down in this one using about five forwards for the third period.”

Absurd we cut the bench so early .
Lavi uncharacteristically threw the lines in a blender early in the 2nd period last night and it continued through the rest of the game. He must be getting frustrated by the last 3 games (minus one 9 minute stretch) of god awful 5v5 hockey.

He's clearly tired of the way we're playing and is desperately trying to find an answer.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Thought the Rangers came out flat in the first. Long layoff and not playing Rempe was a mistake (Sorry @Machinehead ) because the crowd got taken out of the game early. They definitely improved as the game went on but give Florida and Bob credit with the way they played. Not a lot of second chance opportunities until very late, and I think the Rangers win that game if they had better puck luck (posts, 2 broken sticks on shots inside the circles, and the Laf own goal which was just unfortunate). Appreciated Lavi and the players post game talking about having more to give. I expect they will be much better Friday after checking the tape and making adjustments.

Rempe, Wheeler & Zac Jones need to be highly considered for Friday's lineup. Rempe is a given, they need his energy, not to intimidate Florida, but to get the Rangers going. He's a good forechecker and we got nothing going in that regard last night. I dont give a shit about Wheeler's foot speed, he can complete a pass and beat a goalie with his shot, something Kakko (who is also slow as molasses) can't do. Jones can make a first pass and skate, something half of our D is currently not capable of. Lindgren is playing himself off the team.

Bottom 6 should look like this:

Cuylle-Wennberg-Wheeler
Goodrow-Brodzinski-Rempe

Sorry Fil, I love you but arent ready for these games. And vesey needs to sit. The PK role complicates things but I think Brodz speed in the middle compliments Rempe and Goodrow forechecking on the wings. Wheeler will be fine on a line with Cuylle and Wennberg to transport the puck.

HANK30

Brady 4-3 in SBs without Patriot cheating
Mika has not scored since game 1 of the Carolina series, Panarin last scored in game 3. If two of your top four forwards are struggling in the scoring department, it's a problem. Both of them seem to feast on the PP but not on 5 on 5.

Reactions: Jack Hanson

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Thought the Rangers came out flat in the first. Long layoff and not playing Rempe was a mistake (Sorry @Machinehead ) because the crowd got taken out of the game early. They definitely improved as the game went on but give Florida and Bob credit with the way they played. Not a lot of second chance opportunities until very late, and I think the Rangers win that game if they had better puck luck (posts, 2 broken sticks on shots inside the circles, and the Laf own goal which was just unfortunate). Appreciated Lavi and the players post game talking about having more to give. I expect they will be much better Friday after checking the tape and making adjustments.

Rempe, Wheeler & Zac Jones need to be highly considered for Friday's lineup. Rempe is a given, they need his energy, not to intimidate Florida, but to get the Rangers going. He's a good forechecker and we got nothing going in that regard last night. I dont give a shit about Wheeler's foot speed, he can complete a pass and beat a goalie with his shot, something Kakko (who is also slow as molasses) can't do. Jones can make a first pass and skate, something half of our D is currently not capable of. Lindgren is playing himself off the team.

Bottom 6 should look like this:

Cuylle-Wennberg-Wheeler
Goodrow-Brodzinski-Rempe

Sorry Fil, I love you but arent ready for these games. And vesey needs to sit. The PK role complicates things but I think Brodz speed in the middle compliments Rempe and Goodrow forechecking on the wings. Wheeler will be fine on a line with Cuylle and Wennberg to transport the puck.
I'll forgive you because you sat Kakko.

I don't mind Rempe being in. It's more so that he's gonna be done with more than half the game to go.

Which I don't necessarily agree with. Is he worse than Vesey? Is he worse than f***ing Lindgren who plays half the game? He has a better chance of scoring than Kakko.

Then again, Laviolette played Cuylle like 1:30 last night. If he's gonna do that anyway, it might not be the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad