Post-Game Talk: Cougar

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
They can play better but they weren't scared to make a play and like I said they actually had the higher danger scoring chances. They just weren't crisp with their offensive game and some of that probably has to do with 5 days off. One of those pucks goes in and it's a different story. It was not nearly as bad as you make it seem. Every loss is the end of the world for some.

They were definitely shaking off the rust early. I also thought they were a little blindsided by the lack of scrums after the whistle. Like they were gripping the sticks too tight expecting a fight. Tkachuck had a few big hits on trocheck but they were clean and Vinny popped right back up. It was a really mature game by Florida which you have to expect for a team that went to the Final last year.

Except Kakko probably

2-1-3 for Kakko tomorrow night (2 Stellas and a Daily Burger in the press box)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So the implication here is that Igor is a playoff performer? Also the bolded is not a guarantee, it just wouldve meant OT. Nobody brought their A game yesterday and we were right there. They'll all be much better tomorrow night.

I meant if he had a shutout in general. But yes that's a fair point, we would have gone into OT and for all we know he would have allowed a goal that was virtually unstoppable. Ok, he would have given us a chance.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
It's why his hits matter and its why Rempe's hits matter. Despite the weird section of the fanbase that hates Rempe for some reason, they need size and physicality to beat a team that *checks notes* specializes in size and physicality. he and Wheeler should be in and if Lav doesnt do it when he has all these options on the chessboard, it would be a failure of the coaching staff.
Rempe maybe, Wheeler no way. You are going to throw a guy who is slow and wasn't very good this year into the ECF mix after him not playing for months? We see that Chytil may not be ready for the intensity of play now. What makes you think Wheeler would be any different?

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Rempe maybe, Wheeler no way. You are going to throw a guy who is slow and wasn't very good this year into the ECF mix after him not playing for months? We see that Chytil may not be ready for the intensity of play now. What makes you think Wheeler would be any different?
Because he's a big body that generally alway makes the right play. And I'm sick of Roslovic. And Florida isn't fast.

Reactions: NikC and leetch99

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I need to put this out there as well but the in-game coverage from ESPN is an absolutely pathetic product. They show nothing going on between the whistles, no replays of anything, and the announcer McDonough just flat out doesnt know hockey. Mess and Pernell are good in the studio but once Ray and Sean start babbling it ruins the moment in these massive games. Clearly Emily got the message to sex it up with the see through dresses. She's comely but now shes trying way to hard (sorry @will1066 ).

If i was ESPN id throw a Brinks truck at Singh and deBrusk from Sportsnet. You can afford it.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
They were definitely shaking off the rust early. I also thought they were a little blindsided by the lack of scrums after the whistle. Like they were gripping the sticks too tight expecting a fight. Tkachuck had a few big hits on trocheck but they were clean and Vinny popped right back up. It was a really mature game by Florida which you have to expect for a team that went to the Final last year.
Yes, I think it was a different game than they expected and yes, Florida did play a mature road game. I think the Rangers will be better tomorrow night. They are every bit as good as Florida.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

The puck always moves faster than your skates. Wheeler can pass and wouldnt be relied on to carry the puck up ice with Wennberg. We are that much harder to defend against if we can take a couple smurfs out for 2 pillars of strength like Rempe and Blake.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The puck management was AWWWWFUL.

I thought our puck management was great against Carolina. They also brought a fierce forecheck so pretending Florida is big boy hockey and we've never seen it before doesn't feel accurate.

We hit the outbreak every time against the Canes. That forces them to either f*** off or stay the course and just give up 3-4 goals every game. They chose the latter.

This team is not more aggressive than Carolina and they're certainly a lot slower. What they are is better defensively, but that's no excuse to not get our rush going against an aggressive opponent. We've done it already. Bad puck management is on us and we need to correct it in game 2.
That involves some more support down low in our zone.

It doesn't matter structurally if we continue to handle the puck like a grenade

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
In terms of Rempe, I understand the argument for adding him to the lineup. It's not the expectation that he'll actually make an impact directly, especially given 5 to 7 minutes of ice time. The argument is that he'll raise the temperature in the building considerably. That helps with the crowd but also with the refs and opposing players. It's no surprise that the correlation between Rangers wins and number of penalties called is extremely high this playoffs. Simply adding Rempe to the lineup likely means more penalties being called. And even if he's taking a stupid one, NHL referee game management is a thing so it generally means we're "owed" the next one.

We win games when there are 10+ penalties called. Our record - at least in these playoffs - is a lot worse when penalties called are closer to 5 to 7.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I need to put this out there as well but the in-game coverage from ESPN is an absolutely pathetic product. They show nothing going on between the whistles, no replays of anything, and the announcer McDonough just flat out doesnt know hockey. Mess and Pernell are good in the studio but once Ray and Sean start babbling it ruins the moment in these massive games. Clearly Emily got the message to sex it up with the see through dresses. She's comely but now shes trying way to hard (sorry @will1066 ).

If i was ESPN id throw a Brinks truck at Singh and deBrusk from Sportsnet. You can afford it.
The way they would give these stats about the Rangers that you just know aren't true if you watch the Rangers was the unprofessional shit I've seen on a broadcast.

Sean went on multiple times about Fox hasn't scored since game 1 against Pittsburgh. He scored FOUR times after that.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Because he's a big body that generally alway makes the right play. And I'm sick of Roslovic. And Florida isn't fast.
Roslovic has his flaws but he does things others don't do or aren't able to do. We have no other viable option anyway for the 1RW spot. Putting Wheeler in that spot and thinking he will do any better after not playing for 3 months is setting yourself up for disappointment.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Roslovic has his flaws but he does things others don't do or aren't able to do. We have no other viable option anyway for the 1RW spot. Putting Wheeler in that spot and thinking he will do any better after not playing for 3 months is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Id keep Ros in and replace Chytil with Wheeler.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
In terms of Rempe, I understand the argument for adding him to the lineup. It's not the expectation that he'll actually make an impact directly, especially given 5 to 7 minutes of ice time. The argument is that he'll raise the temperature in the building considerably. That helps with the crowd but also with the refs and opposing players. It's no surprise that the correlation between Rangers wins and number of penalties called is extremely high this playoffs. Simply adding Rempe to the lineup likely means more penalties being called. And even if he's taking a stupid one, NHL referee game management is a thing so it generally means we're "owed" the next one.

We win games when there are 10+ penalties called. Our record - at least in these playoffs - is a lot worse when penalties called are closer to 5 to 7.

That's a good point. Rempe will raise the temp in the game. If he gets called for the obligatory minor or 2, so be it. I'll take my chances. PK was the best part of our game last night and has been since game 1.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
it's time to put the big boys in. Rempe, Wheeler, shit let's get Edstrom in for Vesey

You had my curioisty, but now you have my attention. rangers have backed themselves into a corner not having another guy who can PK. Vesey would be the obvious odd man out if they did.

Reactions: KevinFinnerty

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Mika had 10 shots across the first 2 games of the postseason, and has 16 in the 9 since.

7 shots at 5v5 in the last 9 games. 1 5v5 goal. He's taking .26 more shots/60 than Wennberg.

He's magic at 4v5 and he's hot and cold 5v4. But 5v5 this dude is a total non-factor and we need more from him there. I'd think he was Kakko if he at least went within 4 feet of the blue paint once in a while.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Panarin Tro Laffy
Kreider Zibs Ros
Cuylle Chytil Kakko
Goodrow Wennberg Rempe/Wheeler

Lindgren Fox - have no choice
KAM Schneider
Jones Trouba

Reactions: CLW and TheDirtyH

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Maybe I'm being too hard on Roslovic but I don't think Wheeler makes that line worse. If not there, put him on the 4th line. That line did nothing last night anyway. Move Cuylle back up. The bottom 6 could use some reshaping. They're just there at the moment. Need more of a spark from them.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC

“Comely” is a word I haven’t heard in decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad