Confirmed with Link: Corey Perry on waivers for purpose of contract termination (mod warning: no direct speculation at this time)

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
ChiHawks10 has a point. Perry might not want to file a grievance for the sake of embarrassment to his family. However, I suspect the NHLPA will have an issue with the punishment.

Hence, I think a buyout will be negotiated behind closed doors to appease the union if not Perry. Like the others have said, the Hawks aren't too concerned about a couple million dollars. However, the Hawks are far more concerned about setting the right culture. They should be applauded for it.
Yeah, as mentioned in the article, it's a safe play for the Hawks to terminate the contract from the high ground. Easy way to build back some trust. If they did err or overreact, shouldn't be hard to negotiate as you said.

I also agree with above statements that, unless the contract breach was an airtight case, the union will take action regardless of Perry's wishes. Too much at stake for the NHLPA.

Guess we'll see in January or so.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Now we’ll see what happens with the NHLPA. They may want to fight it, but if the Hawks offered to send Perry to rehab and he didn’t want to, then termination was the only other option.

Actually no. If a player has an incident the team needs to prove it was not a one off incident and will alert the NHLPA and the NHPA then will have a conversation with player in question. Teams now need to notify the NHPA if they suspect a player is in trouble.

Teams are unable to force a player to go to rehab because THEY think he has a problem. They need to produce evidence to the NHLPA and the NHLPA with the team, will then have what is called "a concerned conversation" with the player and his agent to see what is going on. Florida has had do this a few times now for a couple of players.

Florida was concerns with Spencer Knight and had no idea what was going on and their media started to speculate he had some "problems". When the NHLPA and the team sat with him they learned he was suffering from very bad OCD and it was affecting his mental health. He still has not recovered.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You don't play the type of game Perry has played his entire career and not have that carry over into his personal life...
^^ Well said. ^^

99% of the time, bosses / employees who are A-Holes at work, are A-Holes at home. They don't just turn it off. On the other hand, on the surface, he does seem to have a happy home life.

If I was him, I'd take a buy out and go on with my life/career.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Actually no. If a player has an incident the team needs to prove it was not a one off incident and will alert the NHLPA and the NHPA then will have a conversation with player in question. Teams now need to notify the NHPA if they suspect a player is in trouble.

Teams are unable to force a player to go to rehab because THEY think he has a problem. They need to produce evidence to the NHLPA and the NHLPA with the team, will then have what is called "a concerned conversation" with the player and his agent to see what is going on. Florida has had do this a few times now for a couple of players.

Florida was concerns with Spencer Knight and had no idea what was going on and their media started to speculate he had some "problems". When the NHLPA and the team sat with him they learned he was suffering from very bad OCD and it was affecting his mental health. He still has not recovered.

It's not a substance abuse issue.

Reactions: Giovi and Pez68

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It's not a substance abuse issue.
Florida did not know until the notified the NHLPA and the NHLPA sat down with Knight. The question is, can the hawks just nuke a contract because a player refused to rehab for one incident or were there others and did the hawks notify the the NHLPA that they thought there was a problem

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Florida did not know until the notified the NHLPA and the NHLPA sat down with Knight. The question is, can the hawks just nuke a contract because a player refused to rehab for one incident or were there others and did the hawks notify the the NHLPA that they thought there was a problem

Again... it's NOT a substance abuse issue. Meaning... that's not what happened with Perry. They didn't terminate him for substance abuse.

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021
Yeah, as mentioned in the article, it's a safe play for the Hawks to terminate the contract from the high ground. Easy way to build back some trust. If they did err or overreact, shouldn't be hard to negotiate as you said.

I also agree with above statements that, unless the contract breach was an airtight case, the union will take action regardless of Perry's wishes. Too much at stake for the NHLPA.

Guess we'll see in January or so.
It sounds like you think the NHLPA is empowered to appeal the termination of a player's contract, even against that player's wishes?

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
It's why I don't believe in conspiracies like the Kennedy shooting. People simply cannot keep a secret.

99% of the time, bosses / employees who are A-Holes at work, are A-Holes at home. They don't just turn it off.

I got the title for your next work of serious scholarship: "Absolutism for dummies, how to rot your own brain!"

Reactions: Drumman44

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
It sounds like you think the NHLPA is empowered to appeal the termination of a player's contract, even against that player's wishes?
I think the union is empowered to act in the interest of the membership whether Perry likes it or not. We don't even know what his contract says.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The NHLPA will do everything to protect every player in their union. It’s their job. If Perry’s punishment in any way compromises the player’s rights under the CBA, they take the NHL and the Hawks to an arbiter. To the NHLPA, it’s bigger than just about Corey Perry.

Right on schedule, the NHLPA announced that they are reviewing the termination of Perry’s contract. Whatever happens, if the story is true about Perry’s misbehavior at a workplace function, the Hawks did the right thing even if they have eat Perry’s contract. It’s all about setting a new culture.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
He put ketchup on a hot dog.
IaTn4lL.gif

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021

I think the union is empowered to act in the interest of the membership whether Perry likes it or not. We don't even know what his contract says.

The NHLPA will do everything to protect every player in their union. It’s their job. If Perry’s punishment in any way compromises the player’s rights under the CBA, they take the NHL and the Hawks to an arbiter. To the NHLPA, it’s bigger than just about Corey Perry.

Right on schedule, the NHLPA announced that they are reviewing the termination of Perry’s contract. Whatever happens, if the story is true about Perry’s misbehavior at a workplace function, the Hawks did the right thing even if they have eat Perry’s contract. It’s all about setting a new culture.

In terms of grieving the termination of Perry's contract, the NHLPA has no authority to take any action except at Perry's explicit request.

And it's entirely possible he elects to NOT challenge the termination. Such a decision could be motivated by a desire to maintain privacy/confidentiality, or because the terminated party acknowledges they cannot in good faith dispute the existence of a material breach, or for some other reason.

Regardless, if he does not want to pursue a grievance within the 60 day window, the NHLPA has no standing to enter into any type of arbitration or appeal on his behalf, even if the NHLPA deems such a proceeding to be in the best interest of its membership at large.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
In terms of grieving the termination of Perry's contract, the NHLPA has no authority to take any action except at Perry's explicit request.

And it's entirely possible he elects to NOT challenge the termination. Such a decision could be motivated by a desire to maintain privacy/confidentiality, or because the terminated party acknowledges they cannot in good faith dispute the existence of a material breach, or for some other reason.

Regardless, if he does not want to pursue a grievance within the 60 day window, the NHLPA has no standing to enter into any type of arbitration or appeal on his behalf, even if the NHLPA deems such a proceeding to be in the best interest of its membership at large.

I had no idea a single player could stop the union from pursuing some type of action that could impact CBA interpretation of a contract across every individual franchise.

So if I understand correctly, you're saying the PA cannot file an unfair practice complaint or some sort of general grievance to an arbitrator for damages to membership overall since a specific player is involved?

Reactions: andora

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I had no idea a single player could stop the union from pursuing some type of action that could impact CBA interpretation of a contract across every individual franchise.

So if I understand correctly, you're saying the PA cannot file an unfair practice complaint or some sort of general grievance to an arbitrator for damages to membership overall since a specific player is involved?
Having been a union steward you don't file grievances on behalf of somebody that doesn't want that grievance filed. Undermines the entire idea of being a union member.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Perry had a two million signing bonus and has played a quarter of the season for roughly 500k of the other two million he's owed. If he wants to contest this and make it an issue it'll absolutely be an issue. If he doesn't he'll just keep the 60 something percent of his deal he's been paid for a quarter of the work and probably call it a career.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
They intend on terminating his contract, if its determined later they must pay it then whatever. They can afford it, the important thing is he is gone and it sends the right message for a franchise trying to change its image.

Reactions: Giovi

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
that's why I'm expecting/hoping Davidson comes out and denies the rumor at 4 today.
He already did. Its not stamdard practice to air dirty laundry and blast an employee to the public to tell why you are firing them. Any org will be quiet about the offense unless it is something that is already public like an arrest. They explained everything to the players association whem they terminated the contract.

The stupid rumor 1. Doesnt make sense- that wouldnt be a breach of contract perry and bedards mother are adults and can do anything they want to if its consential. It could be grounds for hawks to trade him or buy out his contract if bedard was mad but he really shouldnt care that much since his mom is an adult with right to choose. Butnitd never be grounds for termination. They wpuldnt even attempt that with the players association..
2. The rumor originated from an anonymous guy on a twitter psge full of fake trade rumors that never happened and no rumors of trades that ended up happenning. The page is an obvious troll page and i cant believe anyone is stupid enough to take that as actual news.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
^^ Well said. ^^

99% of the time, bosses / employees who are A-Holes at work, are A-Holes at home. They don't just turn it off. On the other hand, on the surface, he does seem to have a happy home life.

If I was him, I'd take a buy out and go on with my life/career.

It doesn't look like a buy-out is in the cards, just straight termination, unless you're thinking he grieves it to protect the contract then takes a buy-out?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
His contract is already terminated. If he files a grievance with the NHLPA and wins, ala Evander Kane or Mike Richards, he could get some of his money back.

I could see him playing again this year to be honest.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

According to Friedman here the PA can't file a grievance against Perry's wishes:

1701371256693.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad