Confirmed with Link: Corey Perry on waivers for purpose of contract termination (mod warning: no direct speculation at this time)

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The NHLPA will do everything to protect every player in their union. It’s their job. If Perry’s punishment in any way compromises the player’s rights under the CBA, they take the NHL and the Hawks to an arbiter. To the NHLPA, it’s bigger than just about Corey Perry.

Right on schedule, the NHLPA announced that they are reviewing the termination of Perry’s contract. Whatever happens, if the story is true about Perry’s misbehavior at a workplace function, the Hawks did the right thing even if they have eat Perry’s contract. It’s all about setting a new culture.

They can review it all they want(that's pretty standard for a union to do), but if Perry doesn't want them to file a grievance or challenge the contract termination, they won't do it. They can't go against his wishes, like I was saying yesterday.

Reactions: Idionym

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_7213.jpeg

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I wish the NHL would step back and address the alcohol problem it has. Just recently alone you have Corey Perry and Milan Lucic having issues....sad. They need to work on this problem.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I wish the NHL would step back and address the alcohol problem it has. Just recently alone you have Corey Perry and Milan Lucic having issues....sad. They need to work on this problem.
It would be hard to do unfortunately. These guys are barely monitored in their formation years, and treated like kings with little education. To top it off, a few years later they end up with more money than they know what to do with. It’s just a perfect storm for all sorts of issues, the vast majority the public probably never heard about.

Reactions: Callidusblackhawk

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It would be hard to do unfortunately. These guys are barely monitored in their formation years, and treated like kings with little education. To top it off, a few years later they end up with more money than they know what to do with. It’s just a perfect storm for all sorts of issues, the vast majority the public probably never heard about.

They also generally have cocaine and prescription opiates issues as well. With guys playing through large injuries, specifically in the playoffs, these guys load up on painkillers and then end up addicted to them.

The cocaine issue is pretty much because it clears your system quickly, unlike something like weed, which can linger for weeks.

Blackhawksfirecoach

Oct 20, 2021
yeah, had a strong feeling it was related to substance abuse. kudos to Perry for taking accountability and releasing an honest statement.

as someone with a history of alcohol abuse (like others on this board), I know that's not always an easy thing to do.

Reactions: Giovi and Muffinalt

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Feel like alcohol and mental health is the new easy way out.

I sympathize with people going through addiction. Just seems like the way to explain bad behavior and still receive support from the public.

Fully expect to get roasted for this take and I apologize if I offend anyone who has dealt with addiction.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
What he did doesn’t really matter. What matters is that the organization handled this properly and proved that the processes implemented after what happened to beach actually work. Additionally, it’s also very crucial that Perry appears to be ready to get the help he needs

Reactions: Giovi and Pez68

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Feel like alcohol and mental health is the new easy way out.

I sympathize with people going through addiction. Just seems like the way to explain bad behavior and still receive support from the public.

Fully expect to get roasted for this take and I apologize if I offend anyone who has dealt with addiction.
Easy way out is a hell of a way to phrase it. Perry could be taking this seriously and seeking help or he could be sorry he got caught and going through the motions to get his career back. But either way it's not gonna be easy.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Easy way out is a hell of a way to phrase it. Perry could be taking this seriously and seeking help or he could be sorry he got caught and going through the motions to get his career back. But either way it's not gonna be easy.
When comparing it to being labeled someone who .....fill in the blanks....., I think its certainly a better alternative. Although I do heed your point that it isn't "easy" either way.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Yeah, easy way out is probably just not the proper words, but I get what he's meaning. I think the better explanation or phrasing is that it's way too commonly used to explain away bad behavior, rather than just owning the bad behavior.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Yeah, easy way out is probably just not the proper words, but I get his meaning. I think the better explanation or phrasing is that it's way too commonly used to explain away bad behavior, rather than just owning the bad behavior.
I do too. And it's not wrong. But calling it the easy way out is gonna read really shitty to some people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad