Copa America 2024 - Group C (USA, URU, PAN, BOL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
This US team is so experienced, but just randomly plays so Naive at times.

This was very similar to their game against Canada in Hamilton - Just nothing dangerous until absolute crunch time, especially in the second half.

I thought they were unlucky on the offside decision, but ultimately, that doesn't change the result at all.

Berhalter on the sideline yelling at his team the Panama game was tied was just so silly too, and to immediately concede was very poetic - If I were writing the game recap, that's exactly where I would start in my lede

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This US team is so experienced, but just randomly plays so Naive at times.

This was very similar to their game against Canada in Hamilton - Just nothing dangerous until absolute crunch time, especially in the second half.
The danger also coincided with them just taking off defenders for forwards and throwing shit in the box. Was the same as England and Slovakia. No genius required there. No genius to see what was happening.
Berhalter on the sideline yelling at his team the Panama game was tied was just so silly too, and to immediately concede was very poetic - If I were writing the game recap, that's exactly where I would start in my lede
For sure, that summed up the joke of his tenure here. But all anyone is going to mention is the ref

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Been following the USMNT for about a dozen years now. Deep, exciting player pool but it doesn't mean much when players never elevate their game, there's zero accountability, and no creativity. We are tactically inept under Berhalter. It genuinely feels like he puts a starting XI out there and they just go through the motions with the hope Gio or Christian do something special.

At least we could point to growth and "signature wins" under Bradley, Arena and Jurgen. They had some seriously shallow player pools at times and did as much and more. I'm not sure we ever get someone like Klopp or Mourinho, but an MLS coach isn't it either.

This player pool definitely needed a few humblings.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
They better take this opportunity to shoot the whole coaching staff to the moon. I get it they won't get an amazing replacement but that's almost everyone now. People think Southgate is going to be replaced by some wizard but the fact is the money and prestige is in the club game, not national teams. Club players adopt club systems like it's a divine law because they like paychecks but put them on national team duty and they tell the coach to go f*** himself when he tells them they are missing on the system. Just the way it is when you got everyone going to Europe and playing the same games making big money.

Reactions: Ben Grimm

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Well, there is always the " our best athletes don't play soccer" rant to take the sing out of this. it's like an old friend you can lean on when things don't go your way again.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Tyler Adams needs to get healthy and confident and then go kick some asses. This team needs a leader so so badly. I would have hoped Captain America would have stepped up to the role but he just isn't that guy for some reason. A vocal leader that won't put up with shit. I think Adams might be the only hope we got. Whoever it is, a new coach needs to see this and feed it. Doesn't even need tactics as much as it needs passion for doing the right things and being accountable. Berhalter just getting guys he thinks are talented and then puts them in all kinds of bad spots with no real clue how it's going to work.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
All that stuff doesn't matter, it's very Americanish to talk about the goal being to win trophies but the actual goal is to consistently beat the weaker teams that the US plays. This man has 44 wins in 74 matches. He has no business being in charge of this team. This is a great generation for the US and we have better players than we've had basically ever before so I don't want to hear excuses. Berhalter doesn't have a vision that can get this team to win matches.

It's not athleticism that makes your team win either. You think Panama and Uruguay have better athletes than us? No. You have tactics and then if your tactics are good, the players can carry them out, but this has been a consistent failing with Berhalter. The team frequently looks like they don't know what they should be doing.

That was to the post above the post above.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
This is a huge, embarrassing failure of the U.S., right? And Mexico isn't far behind. If the message of this was supposed to be that CONCACAF has caught up...less than 24 months prior to the CONCACAF World Cup...then it's a disaster and massive red flag.

Reactions: luiginb

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
This is a huge, embarrassing failure of the U.S., right? And Mexico isn't far behind. If the message of this was supposed to be that CONCACAF has caught up...less than 24 months prior to the CONCACAF World Cup...then it's a disaster and massive red flag.
Did anyone really believe this though? The top CONCACAF teams are not in the same stratosphere as the top CONMEBOL teams, not close. The bottom tier like Chile and Peru? Sure. Ecuador is like the demarcation point. Columbia and above? LOL no.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ

Mexico is in much worse shape than the US, while the US media overrates their players they are still doing a much bigger job developing players going overseas. Mexico barely has any players in the top five leagues and their league isn’t as strong as it was a decade ago

Reactions: Tryamw

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Mexico is in much worse shape than the US, while the US media overrates their players they are still doing a much bigger job developing players going overseas. Mexico barely has any players in the top five leagues and their league isn’t as strong as it was a decade ago

And the Mexican golden boy player is a striker who can't even get good opportunities most games because the rest of his team is trash, for the most part.

Between this and Berhalter signaling to his players it was 1-1 in Bolivia Chile, I don't know what the f*** is a more embarrassing look

Reactions: robertmac43

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Well, there is always the " our best athletes don't play soccer" rant to take the sing out of this. it's like an old friend you can lean on when things don't go your way again.
As a Canadian, this is a first cousin to the World Juniors "our best players don't even go" argument.

Pulisic threw a tantrum at the ref when he wasn't even close to fouled late in the game - probably the main reason why.

Reactions: jj cale

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
American broadcast and the Americans embarrassed themselves. Were the refs bad, pretty bad. Was he conduct of the American broadcast crew and the American players worse? Yes.

That VAR was either too close to call or onside so they either declared it onside or went with the call initially made. Which is the correct decision. Aside from the quick free kick taken and a few missed yellows, I think the ref made wasn't even the worst reffing in the tournament. The Americans were looking for a scapegoat and they found it.

Thank god they didn't score to tie it so they can't use the VAR as an excuse.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
All that stuff doesn't matter, it's very Americanish to talk about the goal being to win trophies but the actual goal is to consistently beat the weaker teams that the US plays. This man has 44 wins in 74 matches. He has no business being in charge of this team. This is a great generation for the US and we have better players than we've had basically ever before so I don't want to hear excuses. Berhalter doesn't have a vision that can get this team to win matches.

It's not athleticism that makes your team win either. You think Panama and Uruguay have better athletes than us? No. You have tactics and then if your tactics are good, the players can carry them out, but this has been a consistent failing with Berhalter. The team frequently looks like they don't know what they should be doing.

That was to the post above the post above.
Is it really that great of a generation? The Squad is worth 346.7m compared to Uruguay's 480.1m. The expectations are way too high for this team. The reality is, that the squad has a few decent players but would get rocked by any of the big boys or even medium boys (Netherlands last WC). Expectations shouldn't be much higher than Canada's tbh since Canada has better top end players than the US does.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
:laugh:
Yea aside from allowing something that no ref should ever allow and a "FEW" missed yellows he was fine.

Get real bub, he was an embarrassment. USA sucked but that was the worst reffed game of soccer I've ever watched

Reactions: Stammertime91

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
American broadcast and the Americans embarrassed themselves. Were the refs bad, pretty bad. Was he conduct of the American broadcast crew and the American players worse? Yes.

That VAR was either too close to call or onside so they either declared it onside or went with the call initially made. Which is the correct decision. Aside from the quick free kick taken and a few missed yellows, I think the ref made wasn't even the worst reffing in the tournament. The Americans were looking for a scapegoat and they found it.

Thank god they didn't score to tie it so they can't use the VAR as an excuse.

The ref wasn't even bad...

Okay, yes, he was really bad, but not in the normal bad soccer referee way.

This guy had never reffed a big international game in his life, and it really showed - I've done a little soccer reffing myself, only at the low level club youth level, and he conducted himself exactly like I would have if I had been called up to a big match - He was 100 per cent overwhelmed by the moment.

CONEMBOL probably gave him this match to give him experience in a game they thought wouldn't really matter, but then the US went and lost to Panama, and this Ref was put front and centre when he really wasn't ready for it.

Reactions: Tryamw and WTG

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Do

Don't think he did, Uruguay played the free kick super quick on that foul.
No, he played advantage - I mean, yes they played the free kick super quick, but he signalled advantage to show the players he was allowing the play forward, after pulling out the card - that's a bush league decision - Sunday league refs would get hammered for that, I know I would when, I reffed at a similar level.

That should have been pulled back 1000 per cent - This is what I mean when I say he just wasn't ready for the moment - that's inexperience at this level, that's something a first-year ref would do - he probably was too awestruck by the moment to pull it back, and that's just something you don't build unless you've been there in the moment before.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Brother he played advantage during a yellow card. I don’t really even need to discuss anything else, guys a clown.
No, he didn't. Uruguay took a quick free kick. He blew it dead and then a Uruguay player placed it down and then the play continued.

There were multiple angles where this was shown but again, the amateur broadcast didn't understand what was going on or was malicious. Should he have allowed them to take that free kick so quickly? Probably not. But that's different than "letting them play advantage."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad