Laval Rocket: 2023-24 Laval Rocket Thread

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Dobes was a college kid getting acclimated to the pro game. From Christmas on I would argue he was as good as any goalie in the entire league. He became that good.
And he certainly knows where the net is now! I’ve never seen a goalie knock the net off every single game before! I still can’t believe he doesn’t get penalized

Oh yeah he really settled down which helped the team settle down.

I was just saying at the start the team was disorganized as f***, which lead to them cheating for offense, which gave up even more odd man chances against Dobes. I'm just saying at the start the guy lost his net waaaaay too much, but he worked on it and I'm assuming the staff did and he played well. Kept Laval in alot of games. If they had more competent d and actually good generate offense without cheating for it they would have made the playoffs.

With, in all likelihood ABB as a game breaker in the A, Gignac, hopefully Farrell takes another step, Mailloux on the back end... Laval should be good. I think I might be more excited to see Laval than the Habs to be honest.
Did Gignac stay?? I thought he left? I hope he stayed!

• Haha
Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
And he certainly knows where the net is now! I’ve never seen a goalie knock the net off every single game before! I still can’t believe he doesn’t get penalized
He did get penalized once for it I think.

A 6"5 goalie with some impressive athleticism is actually flying under the radar because of Jacob Fowler.
He could become the #1 down the road.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022

A 6"5 goalie with some impressive athleticism is actually flying under the radar because of Jacob Fowler.
I totally agree. They’re in excellent shape with goalies. I can’t wait to see what Sammy and Primeau will do with a better team in front of them this year. We may finally have goaltending depth.

I know he’s been spoken to for sure by the refs

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I expect big things from Laval this year. Of course, coaching will be crucial to their performance. Hopefully the frickin Habs don’t have a run to the emergency ward like the past few seasons!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I expect big things from Laval this year. Of course, coaching will be crucial to their performance. Hopefully the frickin Habs don’t have a run to the emergency ward like the past few seasons!
I expect a good team for sure especially with a more ready Dobes.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Did Gignac stay?? I thought he left? I hope he stayed!

Gignac is still under NHL contract, how would he leave?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Habs will have the same roster as last year with still half the line-up playing in over their head. There will be injuries. We can only cross our fingers that it is to one of the deadwood.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Don’t get me wrong, I like having veterans to lead the way and have an impact to lessen the pressure on younger players and teach them how to be pros, but I really hope it doesn’t block some prospects from getting important roles.

Normally, teams don’t have that many players making the jump but with all those picks we have an influx of young guys that will need quality time.

I don’t want to see Kidney jumping his turn with no offensive minutes. I want Davidson to play and show his understanding of the game and where to be on the ice. Same thing goes for Mesar, Beck, Tuch and Heinemann or any other guys with certain upside.

Coaches come in, and all their life they have been trying to win games so they give more minutes to the veterans.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Don’t get me wrong, I like having veterans to lead the way and have an impact to lessen the pressure on younger players and teach them how to be pros, but I really hope it doesn’t block some prospects from getting important roles.

Normally, teams don’t have that many players making the jump but with all those picks we have an influx of young guys that will need quality time.

I don’t want to see Kidney jumping his turn with no offensive minutes. I want Davidson to play and show his understanding of the game and where to be on the ice. Same thing goes for Mesar, Beck, Tuch and Heinemann or any other guys with certain upside.

Coaches come in, and all their life they have been trying to win games so they give more minutes to the veterans.

And then 2 months in the season there's a combined 4+ injuries at the NHL/AHL level and they can get the ice time if they deserve it.

Thing is with Kidney is that he is so weak physically that he struggles even in an offensive role.

You also have to consider we're probably trading at least 2 NHL forwards by TDL, so you have to account for that.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
And then 2 months in the season there's a combined 4+ injuries at the NHL/AHL level and they can get the ice time if they deserve it.

Thing is with Kidney is that he is so weak physically that he struggles even in an offensive role.

You also have to consider we're probably trading at least 2 NHL forwards by TDL, so you have to account for that.

Sure, things can change quickly I don’t dispute that.

We could have injuries even before the season starts. Nothing bad in having depth and bodies in case that happens.

I just hope real prospects with upside won’t take the backseat in favour of career ahlers.

Kidney might be weak physically, but if we want him to have success he needs to be place in situations where his skillset can shine.

Again, I’m happy that they get top AHL performers, I just hope it’s not at the detriment of our prospects.

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
Mailloux is currently not behind Reinbacher. Mailloux had a terrific season and improved defensively by leaps and bounds. Reinbacher may ultimately become the better player but to say he is ahead of Logan is simply not an opinion many will share at this time.
Sorry, not sure I understand that well.

Are you saying that Mailloux is in front of Reinbacher as a player/prospect?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I thought of you when I saw what Vincent Arseneau brings. They brought in a Baddock-type we've wanted.

Arseneau can drop 'em. He's knocked Rempe on his ass in a fight.

But more than just fight, they brought in some guys who can keep the other team honest and give our prospects room to work.
I really liked Wootherspoon's stabilty whenever we played against him I like the pick up.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He was always going to need 3 years in the AHL with his frame. He had flashes down there but it's a big adjustment to pro hockey for the thin, skilled guys.
I can't help but to think back to the post we saw here showing the Laval squad filing into the room during Laval's camp.
The contrast in physical maturity was so stark I would have identified Kidney as a 16 year old stick boy strolling in with the players.
I actually couldn't believe it.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I really liked Wootherspoon's stabilty whenever we played aainst him like the pick up.
Wotherspoon is outstanding at this level. Huge add

Sorry, not sure I understand that well.

Are you saying that Mailloux is in front of Reinbacher as a player/prospect?
Currently yes. His first season in the AHL after only playing 100 OHL games over 3+ seasons tells me he has huge upside, more than many think. Yes currently he is ahead of Reinbacher.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Happy for him, but puzzled how he gets a NHL deal while a guy like Wotherspoon gets an AHL deal.
Habs save on contract slot and don't have to waive the player with AHL deals.

For all we know Wotherspoon is making more on his AHL contract than Dello does on his two-way deal too.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Habs save on contract slot and don't have to waive the player with AHL deals.

For all we know Wotherspoon is making more on his AHL contract than Dello does on his two-way deal too.

I wasn't asking why Wotherspoon is on an AHL deal, I was womdering why did Detroit give a player like Dello a NHL contract. Definitely not worth in my opinion.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I wasn't asking why Wotherspoon is on an AHL deal, I was womdering why did Detroit give a player like Dello a NHL contract. Definitely not worth in my opinion.
There were probably the only team to do so and Dello wants a shot at the NHL.

Detroit has been doing weird thing this off-season, like signing 3 NHL goalies when they already had one (and they still don't have a real starter).

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Yzerman has collected half of the D from the 20-21 Stanley Cup run in Chiarot, Petry and Gustafsson, the next step of his plan seems like he wants to collect random D who played in the Habs organization in 21-22. He's signed Lagesson and Dello, maybe Norlinder is his next target.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad