Copa America 2024 - Group A (ARG, PER, CHI, CAN)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Just realized both Peru and chile didn’t score a single goal. Combine that with Canada’s one and that’s just down right awful. Maybe combining the two continents to make the tournament bigger isn’t such a bright idea.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Just realized both Peru and chile didn’t score a single goal. Combine that with Canada’s one and that’s just down right awful. Maybe combining the two continents to make the tournament bigger isn’t such a bright idea.
Sure it's low scoring but what does that have to do with the larger tournament? Copa usually features 12 teams, the 10 CONMEBOL nations + a couple of invitees, no?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Both going down to ten men against Canada handicapped any offense in their games. Peru was threatening up to that point, and I didn't watch the Chile game but they were a man down quite early so they never had a chance to get things going. Their head to head was pretty even and well defended.

And Argentina didn't concede a single goal. I think it was just a bad group, or particularly top-heavy. Chile is on the downswing and Peru's core is old and washed up and look like they're back to the doldrums of 1986-2014 again.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Sure it's low scoring but what does that have to do with the larger tournament? Copa usually features 12 teams, the 10 CONMEBOL nations + a couple of invitees, no?
It does but it’s not usually this bad of teams.
You're right, CONMEBOL nations don't have what it takes to compete against Canada
Yup they should play the gold cup where it really matters
Both going down to ten men against Canada handicapped any offense in their games. Peru was threatening up to that point, and I didn't watch the Chile game but they were a man down quite early so they never had a chance to get things going. Their head to head was pretty even and well defended.

And Argentina didn't concede a single goal. I think it was just a bad group, or particularly top-heavy. Chile is on the downswing and Peru's core is old and washed up and look like they're back to the doldrums of 1986-2014 again.
Oh I’m well aware of why chile/peru didn’t go through. Combining both federations has facilitated this bad/or top heavy group.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
It does but it’s not usually this bad of teams.

Yup they should play the gold cup where it really matters

Oh I’m well aware of why chile/peru didn’t go through. Combining both federations has facilitated this bad/or top heavy group.
Dude… your resentment for Canada is showing. It’s not Canada’s fault Peru and Chile are absolute trash. When Canada played Argentina it was actually a match, the last 2 have been God awful. The whole match yesterday was a yelling match to the ref. Peru sucks, Chile sucks.

All I heard before the tournament was how Canada had no chance against Peru/Chile. Now I hear how bad this tournament is for expanding. Maybe… just maybe Canada has caught up to these over hyped mediocre garbage nations. Peru is ranked #31 in the world it’s not like this is Haiti.. they are a legit soccer nation and yet they were absolute shit against Canada. Same thing with Chile last night

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Dude… your resentment for Canada is showing. It’s not Canada’s fault Peru and Chile are absolute trash. When Canada played Argentina it was actually a match, the last 2 have been God awful. The whole match yesterday was a yelling match to the ref. Peru sucks, Chile sucks.

All I heard before the tournament was how Canada had no chance against Peru/Chile. Now I hear how bad this tournament is for expanding. Maybe… just maybe Canada has caught up to these over hyped mediocre garbage nations. Peru is ranked #31 in the world it’s not like this is Haiti.. they are a legit soccer nation and yet they were absolute shit against Canada. Same thing with Chile last night
Resentment? lol I do a search before the tournament I’ve long argued to combine the two federations. Just seeing how it has played out I’m thinking maybe it isn’t a smart thing to do. No concafa nation is going through bar Canada

I don't know man, feels like a harsh assessment of the tournament so far. Chile and Peru aren't all that special at this point in their respective generations. The red cards helped Canada but regardless of that we are closer to some of the CONMEBOL teams than many would want to admit.
Could be but all things considered are you happy with the performance from Canada?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Resentment? lol I do a search before the tournament I’ve long argued to combine the two federations. Just seeing how it has played out I’m thinking maybe it isn’t a smart thing to do. No concafa nation is going through bar Canada

Could be but all things considered are you happy with the performance from Canada?
In absolute: no.

Considering we have a new manager and are still trying to figure out an identity. Yes. Considering that our federation is bad joke full of corrupted idiots who are tring to line their pockets. Yes.

We need plenty of help, especially stratigically. Our midfield is a disaster. We play like shit in the last third and the defense, while doing its job, looks shaky at times. Crépeau, the GK, is the biggest bright spot.

We need to learn how to manage games, how to put our foot on the ball, move it around and kill the clock. We need to learn how to attack AND defend as a block. We need to show more composure in possession.

We are far from a finished product, but our biggest problems are all fixable, IMO, and having more and more guys playing on good teams in top leagues will help a lot. We need to expend our acadedy system and structure the CPL better so we can send more and more players abroad.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yes and no. It would be great to score more and overall the football has been meh. They get some grace from me though. Marsch is just getting his footing with the new squad and the team is going through a transition where a lot of the veterans from the 2021 qualifying campaign and 2022 World Cup are retiring or being left out.

With all that going on, the fact that they came into this tournament as underdogs and got the results needed to move on the round of 16 is positive.

It's not bad for a team from CONCACAF going through transition.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Peru was dominating possession and attacking chances before their center back was sent off. Canada controlled the second half after that but still needed Crepeau to bail them out a couple times toward the end of the match.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yes and no. It would be great to score more and overall the football has been meh. They get some grace from me though. Marsch is just getting his footing with the new squad and the team is going through a transition where a lot of the veterans from the 2021 qualifying campaign and 2022 World Cup are retiring or being left out.

With all that going on, the fact that they came into this tournament as underdogs and got the results needed to move on the round of 16 is positive.

It's not bad for a team from CONCACAF going through transition.
In a vacuum but within the context of the games I’m pretty sure you expected more given the posts I read

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
In a vacuum but within the context of the games I’m pretty sure you expected more given the posts I read
Those of us that live and die with every kick, we will have expected more as the expectations continue to grow. Especially when we played some decent stuff against France and Argentina under Marsch.

So Robert, Tuggy, Secord and a few others regulars ... we all generally feel the same. However, we progressed and that really overrides any feelings we may have about the quality of play. See what happens tonight and then get ready for Friday.

Proud Canadians ... a country with no real history at all in this sport and we are in the early stages of making it. Hopefully my sons and their sons will see much more when I'm dead and gone.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm sort of giving a pass for Canada's performance under marsch to date given that he stepped into a whirlwind.

I don't think he's had alot of time to put his stamp on the team, and that's not something under his control.

It seems like there's been a blitz of world class friendlies followed by the copa matches.... how much training time has actually happened under marsch?

I suppose it's nice getting this compeitive experience, but yes, Canada has looked very disjointed. The good news is that I think it can get better once marsch has some additional x's and o's time and the players start to understand him and vise versa.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I expected about what we got with a couple more goals along the way. With the reds cards we should be scoring more.

Overall though, if you put things in the context of where Canada Soccer is in general, this has been a resounding success. Its such an underfunded and poorly organized federation. Since the 2021 qualifying campaign, all the success we have had is because the group of players have bought in and worked hard for it. With essentially know help from Canada Soccer.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
1719930584970.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad