GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Whether or not Necas files for arbitration this coming Friday will say a lot think.

If he files, then it seems like he might be ok playing out a 1yr deal. If not, then that might signal he’s going to be steadfast in wanting to be moved.

Either way, at least the Canes retain most of the leverage

Reactions: Daeavorn and DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If they are leaning towards a bit of "reset" year then I'd be tempted to go to Necas with a 1 year prove it contract and tell him that he'll start as the #2 center and it's time to put up or shut up.

And throw in a clause to the contract that tells him to report to Rod's front door on August 1st to get ready for the season.
Fitness, dedication and off-season training have never been an issue with Necas. In fact, there are articles about how far he had to travel to train in Czechia.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
It is going to be a fascinating year for sure, and a great test of the "always competitive" philosophy's viability when the inevitable cap shuffle/value resets have to occur. I think all the kids should and will start in Chicago, if any of them are PPG players in the AHL, they won't be there for long.

I see us as the San Antonio Spurs of the NHL - Aho isn't as dominate as Tim Duncan so we don't have a title yet, but the metaphor still tracks. That team - not a sexy destination at all - made the playoffs 18 times in a row by locking in a young core, signing players around them who fit a system, and recycling personnel when cap issues came up. The main difference is that the Spurs' system evolved over time to fit the age and in situ skill set of their core. Time will tell if we make such adjustments to support our core as it ages. (and to keep up with/stay ahead of an evolving NHL).

The Spurs also drafted as well as we do.

This would make Necas our Kawhi Leonard, I suppose.

We have improved our cap flexibility which is essential to "always competitive." Makes it easy to reset/add complimentary pieces/recycle draft capital - which is really important in such a system.
Where’s the rest. I mean the 4 other Cups.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Has FUS filled out enough to handle a 82 game season? If I remember correctly he almost made the team last year and I think he’d be a great injection of youth into our somewhat older lineup. I was really impressed with the flashes he showed and look forward to seeing what he could do more regularly.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Not exactly sure where these guys that are close to the NHL are stepping in?

We signed a lot of bottom 6 forwards. I guess they may be hoping at least one of them takes a top 6 role?

Morrow won’t be more than an injury call up this year, but maybe they are penciling him at Burns spot next year?
Guessing a few of those B6 signings are for the Wolves

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Either way, it's going to be interesting to see it play out.
I agree with you but I am not sure the Canes' FB Season Ticketholder crowd will be so patient. In several groups, some were saying the increased ticket costs and other associated changes in perks, benefits, etc. have them expecting a team that performs and produces for the money being spent. Some were kind of miffed that they weren't better informed about the pending roster losses by their ticket contacts until after the 2024-2025 ticket bills were paid. It seemed that they thought the exiting players would be backfilled with equal or better options.

It could just be the sting of the Guentzel loss, but there was a lot of chatter about how RBA's demanding style of play and the lack of interest in Raleigh as a location will prevent us from ever getting top talent. They were mocking ET's "sustainable success" commentary from yesterday. I feel bad for him as he seems to be bearing the brunt for what has happened and is being labeled a TD yes man. Some of the commentary about him is rather personal and childish, too.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Guessing a few of those B6 signings are for the Wolves
I'm almost certain that Jost is.

They're going to let Jost, Robinson, FUS, Nadeau, Blake, Suzuki, et al compete for one or two spots in the bottom 6. I still think we see a trade to get one more top 6 forward at some point here though wouldn't stun me if they basically get FUS into that role. Kid damn near made the team last year and only got better as the season went on in Sweden. Not saying he's going to step in and from day 1 have an Aho/Jarvis type impact as a D+2, but he could build into being another Turbo by season's end.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I agree with you but I am not sure the Canes' FB Season Ticketholder crowd will be so patient. In several groups, some were saying the increased ticket costs and other associated changes in perks, benefits, etc. have them expecting a team that performs and produces for the money being spent. Some were kind of miffed that they weren't better informed about the pending roster losses by their ticket contacts until after the 2024-2025 ticket bills were paid. It seemed that they thought the exiting players would be backfilled with equal or better options.

It could just be the sting of the Guentzel loss, but there was a lot of chatter about how RBA's demanding style of play and the lack of interest in Raleigh as a location will prevent us from ever getting top talent. They were mocking ET's "sustainable success" commentary from yesterday. I feel bad for him as he seems to be bearing the brunt for what has happened and is being labeled a TD yes man. Some of the commentary about him is rather personal and childish, too.

(It’s not the Hurricanes job to inform season ticket holders about their free agency plans, that is deranged.)

(If a season ticket holder is so sure the team won’t perform this upcoming year because they are the experts, you would think that expertise would’ve translated to the ability to type in www dot capfriendly dot com at any point over the last 2 full seasons to see how this offseason was going to shake out.)

(The Canes have, in fact, experienced more sustained success than they ever have in the history of the franchise.)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I agree with you but I am not sure the Canes' FB Season Ticketholder crowd will be so patient. In several groups, some were saying the increased ticket costs and other associated changes in perks, benefits, etc. have them expecting a team that performs and produces for the money being spent.
Maybe, but unless they crash and burn, I doubt STH numbers will drop much. If they do, then the team will have to adjust.
Some were kind of miffed that they weren't better informed about the pending roster losses by their ticket contacts until after the 2024-2025 ticket bills were paid.
Then they had their heads in the sand. Everyone knows how Dundon has operated in terms of high dollar, long term deals to guys in their late 20s and early 30s. Everyone knew that the cap would mean that we were going to lose a number of these guys.

Anyone who claims they didn't know about pending roster losses just ignored all the information right in front of them.

Secondly, no team informs STH of their free agency plans. GMs can't divulge everything that's going on.

It seemed that they thought the exiting players would be backfilled with equal or better options.
Like I said above, that's not possible in a salary cap environment. An equal to or better option would cost the same or more. If they thought that, then that's on them as their expectations weren't inline with reality.
The sting of it brings that type of commentary out. Fans need to have reasons why guys don't re-sign here vs. accepting that money talks. There definitely is some truth to Raleigh not being as attractive as a market to some players vs. TB, NYR, FLA, Vegas, etc. No denying that.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2016
If fast is hurt at the opening of the season there is one spot to go around between the prospects, Jost and Robinson.
*assumes no trades and all RFAs are signed
There will be competition, but the door is wide open right now for a prospect to take a spot

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
(It’s not the Hurricanes job to inform season ticket holders about their free agency plans, that is deranged.)

(If a season ticket holder is so sure the team won’t perform this upcoming year because they are the experts, you would think that expertise would’ve translated to the ability to type in www dot capfriendly dot com at any point over the last 2 full seasons to see how this offseason was going to shake out.)

(The Canes have, in fact, experienced more sustained success than they ever have in the history of the franchise.)
I agree but a newer, casual fan with disposable income may not be paying as much attention to the finer details as much as more seasoned ones. Riding the wave of what's trendy and hot, until it's not, personas.

Given the Canes love of analytics, I am sure they've been doing retention analysis and have loyalty campaigns lined up should the team stumble, etc. I have been getting texts, emails to open houses, check-ins from the ticket guy, etc. over the last month. They launched their new community marketing as well.

Last edited:

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Is Necas for (25% retained) off the table? Feel like we could get Drury, Jarvis signed, Laine is exiting Player Assistance and could maybe use a fresh place to get back in the groove, and has proven he can score. Career nearly 15% shooting percentage. It would be a gamble but if Necas isn't really happy I might rather Laine than that.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Whether or not Necas files for arbitration this coming Friday will say a lot think.

If he files, then it seems like he might be ok playing out a 1yr deal. If not, then that might signal he’s going to be steadfast in wanting to be moved.

Either way, at least the Canes retain most of the leverage
so, I'd argue the opposite. If he files that means he wants out after the contract runs out. If he doesn't and we end up being the party that files I think he's amenable to working something out to staying here, and we're doing it to prevent anyone from jumping in with an OS. The fact that nobody did over the last 22+ hours is a good sign to me in that regard.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Is Necas for (25% retained) off the table? Feel like we could get Drury, Jarvis signed, Laine is exiting Player Assistance and could maybe use a fresh place to get back in the groove, and has proven he can score. Career nearly 15% shooting percentage. It would be a gamble but if Necas isn't really happy I might rather Laine than that.
I assume you mean Necas for Laine (25% retained)? Laine just doesn't have that value right now due to his numerous injuries and Player Assistance history. He might be available at 50% retained for a future or a guy like Drury. Necas has substantially more value at this point. Now, that could quickly change over the course of the next season if he bounces back, but right now Laine would be a throw-in for a Necas trade. There would have to be another very good piece as the focus of a trade with CBJ.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I'm probably in the minority, but I'm a bit excited about the upcoming season. They certainly may take a step back and it will likely be a bit of a reset, not denying that; but for the last 3-4 years, they've pretty much been a regular season machine with little drama and few open roster spots. Sure, an here or there, a rough patch here or there, but I always expected this team to be good and to be in the playoffs and they just kept churning out 110+ point seasons.

For the next two seasons, we'll likely see some young guys with high skill crack the line-up. Other than Slavin, we don't have any 29/30 year olds with high dollar long term deals, which is going to provide us a lot of flexibility going forward.

I'm excited to see how it all plays out. Maybe they'll crash and burn. Maybe Rod's system is a bit player agnostic and they'll still be good. Maybe they'll be younger, faster and more exciting to watch. Maybe they'll struggle early and start to come together. Maybe they'll never put it together and miss the playoffs.

Either way, it's going to be interesting to see it play out.
I've come around to your view.....they took some lemons yesterday and made lemonade and although next year is a transition year, barring injuries it should be competent. NJ is still the class of the Division but the rest is coming to have their challenges too.

I'm particularly excited about the following year with Nikishin-Morrow and perhaps Nadeau cracking the lineup perhaps with a high caliber free agent or two. Here is the free agent class of '25 & '26 from Capfriendly in excel format (last chance):

Attachments

• cap friendly 2025 and 2026 free agent class.xlsx
    126.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Anyone heard from Anti Raanta? I imagine his career might be done or he maybe signs an AHL deal if he still has the desire to play hockey.

Slightly sad our Finn era is dwindling. Raanta gone, Turbo gone, KK might be gone. We traded our top Finn prospect in Koivunen. We've now also gone 3 straight drafts without taking a Finn.

We're now all in on Russians. With Svech, Kooch, Orlov, & Nikishin incoming. We've drafted 19 Russians over the last 5 drafts.

Socrates Karmanos

May 21, 2022
This was going to be a painful offseason no matter what. It's a bad look to see a number of people walk, but how were we supposed to keep all of them? Even if we could keep everyone, is it a group that was going to win a cup?

We hit a local max this season. There'll be a short dip and then we'll be back to having one of the best D-cores in the league on a modest budget. They'll still be competitive next year, just not contenders. Gives some time to figure out the offense and goaltending. The offense is the big question mark. Do they want to commit to Necas? Do they want to keep KK around? They've got the cap room to do some experiments with as long as the contracts aren't too long. Maybe it makes sense to try out Laine. If he gets his game back, that's an elite offensive piece we desperately need. If not, the contract isn't that long. There's still plenty of salary coming off the books after next season.

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
Vancouver signed Debrusk so do they really need Hoglander?

Maybe they would do us a solid and send the Canes Hoglander for the third we got from Tampa.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I agree with your value comment but moreso I think a fair number of teams are avoiding drafting Russians for the challenges of having them come over and scouting. We seem to tread where other teams do not because in that way we get players that fall in the draft. Same as drafting short kings.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I agree with your value comment but moreso I think a fair number of teams are avoiding drafting Russians for the challenges of having them come over and scouting. We seem to tread where other teams do not because in that way we get players that fall in the draft. Same as drafting short kings.
right. Russians are value drafts unless they are like Ovie etc.

I mean Nikishin was 69 OA.

How often do russians get drafted in the top 10? Sure sergachev was. But Kucherov, Shesterkin, etc all were like 2nd rounders or worse. The Ovie malkin year is an outlier.

Most of your good russain assets are like 2nd rounders these days. Now even more risk because of the KHL thing and the war.

Yeah svech was high. Sure. But again taking a russian in the first is less and less common and many russians fall to the 2nd as value picks because of this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad