HF Habs: Sun. July 14: Euro Finals - Spain vs England, 3 p.m. | TSN, TSN+, TVA Sports ||| Copa America Finals: Argentina vs Colombia, 8 p.m. | CTV2, RDS, FOX

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
De Paul is a f***ing rate. I mean it wasn't his first time in the game. He was barely touched all game long and started flopping on the ground like a fish out of water. Most Canadian players got fed up and Koné, the least experienced guy, couldn't control his emotions at some point.

.. but yeah, then again, De Paul was also the most fouled player yesterday I believe?

I'm used to those antics, just saying. I can understand how people were annoyed with him at least
I guess you consider Laryea a rat also.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It bodes well for the World Cup in 26

Fifa is running the World Cup. This will not happen. This is Conmebol. The whole tournament is a money grab with poor fields & poor security.

The players families were in that section, but they were removed and the players went back into the stands to confront Colombia fans. Uruguay fans got involved, too. One of the Uruguay players threw a bottle hitting a Uruguay fan.

Fifa will like require separate areas for fans (not mixed), will have better security (vs next to no security here) and insist on grass surfaces.

Maybe Uruguay will get suspended and they'll just award Canada 3rd place.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He doesn't die everytime he's touched.
That's only because he hasn't received the right sort of training. He needs to spend a few weeks in the Team Italy training camp.

Maybe Uruguay will get suspended and they'll just award Canada 3rd place.
The extra mil will help CSA but I wouldn't want to see that. I want to finish 3rd because we played and beat them. And I think Canada has a good chance. They will only have two days of rest.

Deux de Coeurs

May 6, 2024
Seeing all those weak men fighting in the stands putting kids and women in danger, kinda make me wish I was there for some law & order :rolleyes:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
At least Mike Milbury had the common courtesy to beat drunk fans using their own shoes back in the day. That way, you make sure you're beating the crap out of the right guy :nod:

• Haha
Reactions: dauv

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
That's only because he hasn't received the right sort of training. He needs to spend a few weeks in the Team Italy training camp.

The extra mil will help CSA but I wouldn't want to see that. I want to finish 3rd because we played and beat them. And I think Canada has a good chance. They will only have two days of rest.

Yeah, 2 days rest is kind of crazy at this level. The Colombia game was fast & physical, too.

Reactions: RandR

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah, he sucks so much that he led his team over Mbappe, Neymar, and Messi.
I literally wrote "he's a fine striker"...and somehow you read that to mean he "sucks".

SMDH

Also, not sure why you're mentioning Mbappe, Neymar and Messi and what that has to do with David? They're not even strikers and they're proven not only at club level with Champions League performances and titles, but on the international stage.

Jonathan David is not.

Jaime Vardy led Leicester to a title and the EPL in goals one year, does that mean he was better than all the top players in the EPL?

Since joining Ligue 1, David has 128 goal contributions in 215 apps in club+national play.

They're aren't many players in that same conversation.
The poster I was responding to, said he was one of the best strikers in the world. He's not, Ligue 1 performance notwithstanding.

He's no Harry Kane or Victor Osimhen or Erling Haaland or Lautaro Martinez

Nothing I said about Jonathan David was disparaging. He's a fine striker, especially for Canada, just don't agree he's on the level you think he is and if Canada wants to take the next level, David does too.

Last edited:

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Yeah, there's always dives but those spikes into the leg or into the ankle/top of foot is going to hurt. There's just a competitive advantage to draw out that pain when there's a stoppage and you are in the lead and if there was a competitive advantage to staying down after a perceived penalty, the NHLers would do it too.
To be fair, the embellishment that goes on these (Euro/Worlds) games, to the casual fan, is the equivalent of Mike Ribeiro's "Oh gawds, I'm dying" level embellishment during the Canadiens/Bruins playoff match.
Just that it happens 10 times a game...

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
I literally wrote "he's a fine striker"...and somehow you read that to mean he "sucks".

SMDH

Also, not sure why you're mentioning Mbappe, Neymar and Messi and what that has to do with David? They're not even strikers and they're proven not only at club level with Champions League performances and titles, but on the international stage.

Jonathan David is not.

Jaime Vardy led Leicester to a title and the EPL in goals one year, does that mean he was better than all the top players in the EPL?

The poster I was responding to, said he was one of the best strikers in the world. He's not, Ligue 1 performance notwithstanding.

He's no Harry Kane or Victor Osimhen or Erling Haaland or Lautaro Martinez

Nothing I said about Jonathan David was disparaging. He's a fine striker, especially for Canada, just don't agree he's on the level you think he is and if Canada wants to take the next level, David does too.
Bahaha. Mbappe isn't a striker? The f*** games are you watching? "SMDH." Sure he can play wing but the vast majority of his games are at striker.

I was mentioning them because David was the reason they lost the title that year. He was dynamite.

Jamie Vardy was a terrific striker and one of the best in the Premier League for a handful of years. I'm not sure what you're getting at bringing him up? He's literally 15th all-time in Premier League goals. You're acting like he's Che Adams.

Fine striker is such an understatement as far as I'm concerned. Fine striker is your Danny Ings kind of guys. They'll do a job sometimes.

David not only puts the ball in the net, he loves to distribute and tracks back more than most strikers you see.

He'd start scoring more if he went back to a #9, but we have no one else to really play as a #10. Larin can't do it. Kone isn't there and may never be for that position.

David is proven at club level. He's won the League Title. He's scored in Champion's League, Europa League, and Conference League.

At national level? There's literally no player close to him as far as goal contributions go in Canadian history. Like not even close. He'll be both the goal and assist record holder before long. And he's only 24.

I'm not sure what more you want. Did he have an awful touch against Argentina? Damn right. But the guy has played a full season and played basically every minute of Copa in crazy heat until the sub last game.

How many strikers can you name that are better than him in the world? Especially when you consider the quality of his teammates compared to others?

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Bahaha. Mbappe isn't a striker? The f*** games are you watching? "SMDH." Sure he can play wing but the vast majority of his games are at striker.
Sigh...Mbappe isn't an out-and-out striker, he likes to play off the left wing and drift inside.

He's a completely different player than Jonathan David and even mentioning them in the same sentence is ridiculous, I don't care what goal scoring exploits David has had in Ligue 1.

I was mentioning them because David was the reason they lost the title that year. He was dynamite.

Jamie Vardy was a terrific striker and one of the best in the Premier League for a handful of years. I'm not sure what you're getting at bringing him up? He's literally 15th all-time in Premier League goals. You're acting like he's Che Adams.
Once again, I think you're reading things that aren't there.

I said Jaime Vardy led Leicester to a title one and led the EPL in goals.

Does anyone, never mind then, or today...think Vardy is one of the best all time strikers in the EPL?

Do peopel say...Shearer, Augero, Drogba...JAIME VARDY!!!!

Come on man lol
Fine striker is such an understatement as far as I'm concerned. Fine striker is your Danny Ings kind of guys. They'll do a job sometimes.

David not only puts the ball in the net, he loves to distribute and tracks back more than most strikers you see.

He'd start scoring more if he went back to a #9, but we have no one else to really play as a #10. Larin can't do it. Kone isn't there and may never be for that position.

David is proven at club level. He's won the League Title. He's scored in Champion's League, Europa League, and Conference League.
Yeah, all good and none of this changes what I wrote.

I agree, he's not a #10, which is the position he's playing now and his awful touch is really exposing him.

He does a lot of things really well...but one of best in the world, again, stop lol.

Danny Ings sucks btw lol...David laps him easy.
At national level? There's literally no player close to him as far as goal contributions go in Canadian history. Like not even close. He'll be both the goal and assist record holder before long. And he's only 24.

I'm not sure what more you want. Did he have an awful touch against Argentina? Damn right. But the guy has played a full season and played basically every minute of Copa in crazy heat until the sub last game.
Once more, I think you're letting emotions cloud your comprehension.

I LITERALLY said, for Canada he's been awesome...BUT, if Canada want to get to the next level, he if not another, need to up their game.

The game against Argentina is a perfect example...because the difference between both clubs, is the final 1/3rd.

Argentina had Alvarez finish a half chance...Canada had multiple chances and they just couldn't find the right pass or right finish and Jonathan David was at the heart of that.

When Canada has to play the top top top international sides...THAT'S the difference.

Scoring a big goal against Nicaragua is not the same as being in position to score in the Semi Finals of the Copa America vs Argentina. He's not there yet.

I'm sorry but that's the truth.
How many strikers can you name that are better than him in the world? Especially when you consider the quality of his teammates compared to others?
Haaland, Kane, L. Martinez, J. Alvarez, O. Watkins, Lewandowski,, Osimhen,, Boniface, Lukaku (although yuck), Isak, Gyokeres, Guirassy.

Just off the top of my head.

Again, he's a good young player, he's got a bright future if he chooses his next club right.

But he is NOT, currently one of the best strikers in the world. stop that lol

• Haha
Reactions: Natey

RandR

May 15, 2011
Yeah, 2 days rest is kind of crazy at this level. The Colombia game was fast & physical, too.
I was glad Columbia won because I thought they were more exciting to watch during the tournament. Uruguay was also the worst offender for time wasting antics in multiple games. It was bad enough against Brazil when they were down one man and trying to run out the clock and get the game to penalties , but last night they did the same thing in the first half when it was still 0-0 where a player goes down in the middle of the field after no apparent contact from anyone. In last night’s case, it looked like it was purely a move to kill the momentum Columbia had at the time, similar to how NBA teams call a time out when the other team is on a run of points. (This worked last night because on the restart Uruguay did get the momentum back and had a good scoring chance or two.) It’s too bad, because Uruguay has quite a few good players.

It will be a great experience for Canada to play a team like Uruguay, provided that we don’t descend to their level of antics.

And whether Canada wins or loses the millions of dollars they are getting as prize money will help big time for the whole cash-strapped soccer program.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I was glad Columbia won because I thought they were more exciting to watch during the tournament. Uruguay was also the worst offender for time wasting antics in multiple games. It was bad enough against Brazil when they were down one man and trying to run out the clock and get the game to penalties , but last night they did the same thing in the first half when it was still 0-0 where a player goes down in the middle of the field after no apparent contact from anyone. In last night’s case, it looked like it was purely a move to kill the momentum Columbia had at the time, similar to how NBA teams call a time out when the other team is on a run of points. (This worked last night because on the restart Uruguay did get the momentum back and had a good scoring chance or two.) It’s too bad, because Uruguay has quite a few good players.

It will be a great experience for Canada to play a team like Uruguay, provided that we don’t descend to their level of antics.

And whether Canada wins or loses the millions of dollars they are getting as prize money will help big time for the whole cash-strapped soccer program.

Yeah Luis SuaRAT being the worse :sarcasm:

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
No it was given because he's a corrupt official who already was banned for being part of match fixing.

Everyone agrees that it's never a penalty except a few biased individuals and pro English fans.

But that's UEFA for you, a match fixing ref in to do match fixing things and they got the result they wanted. Wasn't even the first time we were screwed by VAR in this tournament alone. God forbid a nation outside of Spain, France, Italy or England win a tournament.

Again look around and see what former officials and players are saying about the call. The "it was a penalty" is an extreme minority opinion because it's a wrong opinion. You start giving penalties in the box for that, you might as well just stop the game altogether and make it penalties from the start. A defender has EVERY right to go for that ball, and contact happening at the extreme end of the follow through when the ball was already out of the field of play never amounts to a penalty. Anywhere on the pitch.

And even if we are to accept the threshold of "if it's a foul anywhere on the pitch, it's a penalty kick in the box" - I don't even necessarily agree that's a foul anywhere on the pitch, how often do you see free kicks given when the ball is out of play, or yards down field, and contact is happening that is initiated by the attacking player? I've never seen it. It feels like the argument is entirely that Dumfries should've put his foot in a weird shape to not expose his studs, but why the f*** would anyone going for a 50/50 ball in a dangerous area put their foot in a shape that would create a negative touch? He's trying to knock the ball DOWN and the attacking player comes into his SPACE that he's already occupying. If anything Kane is the one drawing contact.

Furthermore, if that is your threshold, then you agree that with the final two corners of the game, that the Dutch should have been awarded two penalty kicks? Because grabbing a player, bear hugging them and throwing them to the turf is a foul anywhere on the pitch and Rice did that to Weghorst both times.

Funny that this all happens from a referee who was convicted and banned previously for admitting that he was match fixing and was the VAR involved in the Netherlands-France game where he also disallowed a Simons goal off VAR with Dumfries doing nothing to interfere with the keeper. Blatantly obvious the guy is corrupt, he's already been found corrupt and he f***ed the Netherlands against a Euro super power as UEFA is want to do.
Yup, terrible penalty call that changed the game and they also missed an England handball leading up the winning goal. Netherlands got jobbed. I hope Spain crushes England

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yup, terrible penalty call that changed the game and they also missed an England handball leading up the winning goal. Netherlands got jobbed. I hope Spain crushes England
This funny thing is England have rich history of being at the wrong end of calls and or non calls.
As far as changing the outcome of the game I doubt it England would have found another way.
The Dutch were completely over run in the mid field at that point. It's not like England were smothered and not creating opportunities.
The Netherlands had their chances and couldn't score and they obviously weren't defending very well once 90:00 minutes rolled around.
They need to stop blaming the refs and Var and realize they just weren't good enough to win that game.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
This funny thing is England have rich history of being at the wrong end of calls and or non calls.
As far as changing the outcome of the game I doubt it England would have found another way.
The Dutch were completely over run in the mid field at that point. It's not like England were smothered and not creating opportunities.
The Netherlands had their chances and couldn't score and they obviously weren't defending very well once 90:00 minutes rolled around.
They need to stop blaming the refs and Var and realize they just weren't good enough to win that game.
England was hardly better, midfield is why Koeman brought Veerman on. That bogus penalty changed the game, saying England would have found a way is pure conjecture. Thanks to that terrible PK decision and that missed handball leading up the winning goal, we'll never know will we?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
England was hardly better, midfield is why Koeman brought Veerman on. That bogus penalty changed the game, saying England would have found a way is pure conjecture. Thanks to that terrible PK decision and that missed handball leading up the winning goal, we'll never know will we?
Right O
So what about the 90th minute goal that just doesn't happen because the Dutch would have defended better? :dunno:
Sour grapes plain and simple.

I don't think there is any doubt who had the deeper squad and they weren't wearing Orange.
Extra time would have favored England.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Right O
So what about the 90th minute goal that just doesn't happen because the Dutch would have defended better? :dunno:

I don't think there is any doubt who had the deeper squad and they weren't wearing Orange.
Not sour grapes, just pointing out bad calls that led to England's win. Maybe they still would have won, we don't know though do we? Thanks to that crap ref's crap calls. Anyway, Spain is gonna dust England so that will be fun

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not sour grapes, just pointing out bad calls that led to England's win. Maybe they still would have won, we don't know though do we? Thanks to that crap ref's crap calls. Anyway, Spain is gonna dust England so that will be fun
You sure about that?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Nope, how could i be? Sure hope so though, Spain is so much more fun to watch than England and have been the best team by far in the tournament
Yeah tournament football.
The prettiest or even the best teams don't always win you need a ton of luck as well.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Yeah tournament football.
The prettiest or even the best teams don't always win you need a ton of luck as well.
Well of course but Spain played well in 2008, 2010 and 2012 and that worked out well for them. England has been underwhelming the whole tournament so my money is on Spain

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Right O

The Dutch were better in the second half and yeah, that 90th minute goal doesn't happen if England wasn't given a free kick after Gakpo got wide open on 0 contact just moments before that goal.

Already banned as a match fixing referee, previously boned them as VAR in the France game and England was on the favorable end of every major call.

The Sacha handball is just an extra f*** you in the litany of obvious match fixing calls going on.

And you were upset about nonsense ticky tack things not going Spains way.

Reactions: windycity

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The Dutch were better in the second half and yeah, that 90th minute goal doesn't happen if England wasn't given a free kick after Gakpo got wide open on 0 contact just moments before that goal.

Already banned as a match fixing referee, previously boned them as VAR in the France game and England was on the favorable end of every major call.

The Sacha handball is just an extra f*** you in the litany of obvious match fixing calls going on.

And you were upset about nonsense ticky tack things not going Spains way.
And you think he's going to risk getting banned again for match fixing. :skeptic:
The only thing I was upset with involving Spain was Pedri getting taking out of the tournament with a horrible tackle that should have been yellow carded.
As a neutral viewer I might add.
The Dutch couldn't finish their chances so now they are finished end of story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad