OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
They’d tell you it’s a value added service. I’m not sure I agree but getting tickets in advance with a guaranteed specific seat is more attractive for a new release movie at times. Of course the wife and I went to see Oddity (pretty good movie) this past weekend and the theatre was maybe half filled so we could have shown up last minute and still gotten the seats we wanted without paying for the privilege. For Deadpool I’m guessing I’ll be glad to have it squared away before I go.
Oh it’s absolutely great to have the seats booked in advance but they did that for free down here for 5-10 years and just now are trying to charge for it.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Oh it’s absolutely great to have the seats booked in advance but they did that for free down here for 5-10 years and just now are trying to charge for it.
At one time if I took two of the boys to the movies it was about $50 for the three of us. That included three tickets (two at the child price) and then a large tub of popcorn and three waters. Maybe one would get a slushy which was not priced that much differently than the bottled water. Now I'm guessing that would be close to $85.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
At one time if I took two of the boys to the movies it was about $50 for the three of us. That included three tickets (two at the child price) and then a large tub of popcorn and three waters. Maybe one would get a slushy which was not priced that much differently than the bottled water. Now I'm guessing that would be close to $85.

I always sneak water bottles in, I'll get popcorn though since I don't go very often but it should be illegal to charge more than $1 for a bottle of water.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
My favorite is the movie theater candy they charge $7 for when it’s still $1 at Walmart

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
My favorite is the movie theater candy they charge $7 for when it’s still $1 at Walmart
That's why I would always wear cargo pants/shorts with multiple pockets to the theater. Easier to sneak stuff in. I haven't been to the theater in years though. Mainly because I seem to be a dipshit magnet at events and I'm tired of people.:laugh:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
That's why I would always wear cargo pants/shorts with multiple pockets to the theater. Easier to sneak stuff in. I haven't been to the theater in years though. Mainly because I seem to be a dipshit magnet at events and I'm tired of people.:laugh:
It’s not just you :laugh:

That’s also a good excuse for your lady to have a big purse. A friend of mine fit food and a 6 pack of glass bottles one time. The bottles were clanking around the whole time she walked past the movie theater ushers :laugh:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
It’s not just you :laugh:

That’s also a good excuse for your lady to have a big purse. A friend of mine fit food and a 6 pack of glass bottles one time. The bottles were clanking around the whole time she walked past the movie theater ushers :laugh:

I used to work at a movie theater in high school.

Trust me, they know all the tricks, they just don't give a shit because they agree with you that the prices are a scam.

For the same reason, I don't eat movie theater popcorn and I tell everyone I know that they shouldn't either. I know too much about how it's made.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I used to work at a movie theater in high school.

Trust me, they know all the tricks, they just don't give a shit because they agree with you that the prices are a scam.

For the same reason, I don't eat movie theater popcorn and I tell everyone I know that they shouldn't either. I know too much about how it's made.
Please elaborate on the popcorn. I need to tell my wife something to stop her from buying it.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Please elaborate on the popcorn. I need to tell my wife something to stop her from buying it.

You already know that the "butter" used to pop the corn is not butter, and resembles nothing even close to butter.

But you probably don't know that it gets delivered in large 10 gallon buckets that look like cans of house paint. It starts out as a lumpy, amorphous, unnaturally orange solid, and in order to use it in the popper, you need to melt it with a heat stick for a couple hours. Nasty stuff.

The "salt" is not salt, it's Flavacol. Nothing particularly wrong with that (the FDA considers it "generally safe for human consumption"), but we invariably used too much.

The popper itself is usually run once a week, and it's supposed to be cleaned before each use, but in practice that often didn't happen. We would pop a large batch on Wednesday and store the popcorn in large garbage bags on a rack in the back, bringing out a bag to dump into the warmer at the counter when needed. Any popcorn that remained in the warmer at the end of the night was put right back into a bag and put back on the rack for use the next day.

So the weekend crowd was usually getting stale popcorn that was minimum 2-3 days old and had been taken out and put back a couple times already. And if somebody forgot to rotate the bags on the rack, it could be even older.

So to sum up: dubious ingredients, questionable inventory practices, and an insane markup on top of that. That's why I steer clear.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Price/Region check.

Family of 4 - 2 adults, 2 kids with the super combo (2 large sodas, 1 large tub popcorn with 1 free refill) runs about $75 total. 60 if we hit the matinee.

This Marcus theaters mind you with super wide screen ATMOS and lounger reclining chairs standard.

It's expensive but they give you a shit ton with refills once you pay. Not an ideal pattern of consumption but I do like seeing the movies with the kids at the theater as an event vs watching it at home streaming. It's fun to see things at a theater imo. I appreciate the better video if not sound quality in my home setup and convenience but theaters and hell bring back the drive in because that was just the coolest special event as a kid I can remember.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Price/Region check.

Family of 4 - 2 adults, 2 kids with the super combo (2 large sodas, 1 large tub popcorn with 1 free refill) runs about $75 total. 60 if we hit the matinee.

This Marcus theaters mind you with super wide screen ATMOS and lounger reclining chairs standard.

It's expensive but they give you a shit ton with refills once you pay. Not an ideal pattern of consumption but I do like seeing the movies with the kids at the theater as an event vs watching it at home streaming. It's fun to see things at a theater imo. I appreciate the better video if not sound quality in my home setup and convenience but theaters and hell bring back the drive in because that was just the coolest special event as a kid I can remember.

I've only been to a drive in once and didn't care for it but I have older family who rave about how much fun they were and how they use to have friends hide in the trunk because you would pay by car and not person lol

Apparently there's only 1 left in NJ and it's all the way south. The ticket prices and "food pass" make it more expensive than going to a regular theater, even worse when you add in an almost 2 hour drive...

Last edited:

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
The delsea drive in is great. Also it's your own car so everyone bring all of their own food anyway

When you add gas and tolls it makes for an expensive night out. I've never been this one but the one I had gone to during a road trip I just didn't care for it. The sound and the picture quality was not great, especially when I can go to an actual movie theater for cheaper or just watch from home for free.

Maybe delsea use to let you bring in food for no extra charge but I saw it say on the website...

"No outside food or beverages allowed inside without a food permit.

FOOD PERMIT
$21.68
Price $20.00 + $1.68 Fee"

My3Sons

Sponsor
I've only been to a drive in once and didn't care for it but I have older family who rave about how much fun they were and how they use to have friends hide in the trunk because you would pay by car and not person lol

Apparently there's only 1 left in NJ and it's all the way south. The ticket prices and "food pass" make it more expensive than going to a regular theater, even worse when you add in an almost 2 hour drive...

That’s one of those things that it’s hard to recreate in today’s world. We are spoiled with giant super high quality home theatres and the dizzying array of food choices at any local grocery. In the 1970s the entertainment and food world was different. The tv was color but it wasn’t that big. Maybe a 27-30 inch screen? You didn’t have it hooked up to a powerful surround sound and of course there were only a few channels and it was rare the entertainment was any good. Our standards for consuming media were low. Similarly fast food was around but it wasn’t pervasive. In Westchester I recall having to drive about 20-30 minutes to get to a McDonalds as a kid. So getting food at a drive in probably offered something different than you had at home. The drive in wasn’t great in some aspects. The speakers always buzzed and if my brothers lost interest in thr movie that was it for everyone in the car. In any event IMAX is certainly a better movie experience in my view. Old timey stuff is old timey for a reason in my view. Like vinyl records. I couldn’t wait for CDs to be released. Records have excess noise and inevitably get a small scratch here and there. CDs sound the same short of being hacked at. My middle son got a nice record player and we’ve gotten him some great classic records but they have to be treated so gently and I still don’t hear much of a difference in sound. Good modern equipment and mixes are sturdier and I don’t have to fiddle with changing records and the five minute process of gently removing sleeving then unsleeving and loading the new one. Now get off my lawn.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
When you add gas and tolls it makes for an expensive night out. I've never been this one but the one I had gone to during a road trip I just didn't care for it. The sound and the picture quality was not great, especially when I can go to an actual movie theater for cheaper or just watch from home for free.

Maybe delsea use to let you bring in food for no extra charge but I saw it say on the website...

"No outside food or beverages allowed inside without a food permit.

FOOD PERMIT
$21.68
Price $20.00 + $1.68 Fee"
Yeah it's not worth to drive down to it if you are far away and they really don't care about your own food. But if you are in south jersey, or like 15 mins away from it like I am, it's better than sitting in a movie theater imo. Though I'd much rather watch stuff from at home still.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Yeah it's not worth to drive down to it if you are far away and they really don't care about your own food. But if you are in south jersey, or like 15 mins away from it like I am, it's better than sitting in a movie theater imo. Though I'd much rather watch stuff from at home still.

Good to know, I might bring some of my older family members when it gets cooler out since they might get a kick out of it going down memory lane

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Saw the new Deadpool movie. It’s fun as expected but it’s a bit of an effort to watch. Thr one liners and cameos and Easter eggs fly fast and furious. It’s also a really deep dive into the back catalogue and even some of the Marvel Disney Plus tv stuff. It required some memory to keep up at some moments. It may be a bit too much of a nerd movie for some but if you like Deadpool and the backstory it’s a movie that should hold up well on a rewatch.

We went because tomorrow night’s reasonable hour showings were sold out and I’m not going to a movie that starts after 10 anymore. This isn’t 1985 and Reynolds isn’t Tim Curry in drag.

Reactions: Devils731

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Finally got around to finishing The Boys, and it was as thoroughly entertaining, bloody, and sometimes disgusting as ever. Some of it was a little too on the nose, but I still really liked it. Interesting to see where they go for the final season.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Finally got around to finishing The Boys, and it was as thoroughly entertaining, bloody, and sometimes disgusting as ever. Some of it was a little too on the nose, but I still really liked it. Interesting to see where they go for the final season.
It's a super enjoyable show. This season was probably a little too "politically aligned" than I would've liked to see. Usually TV is an escape for me but it was definitely worth it and there are a lot of open storylines for next season whenever that may be.

My3Sons

Sponsor
The political storyline in the Boys is a bit ham handed and obvious to my eyes. The better part of thr story to me was the part centered around the effort to create that means of stopping the supes. And the winner of thr season is Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

Reactions: Billdo

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Deadpool and Wolverine was exactly what I hoped for. 8/10

For reference, I gave Deadpool an 8/10 (D&W I think I liked more) and Deadpool 2 a 6/10.

One of the best opening scenes I think we’ve seen in a Marvel movie and beats any Marvel movie from this past phase.

Meme/quote worthy and the breaking the 4th wall has never been this good.

Stay till the very end of the credits for a funny scene but not one that ties into the greater MCU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad