OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Disney needs to knock it off with the ~30 minute live action Star Wars episodes. My biggest issue with Acolyte is that I just didn't care enough about the characters for the big moments to really hit, which is because we barely spent any time developing them in basically two and half hours of the actual run time of the show.

The show hinges on certain relationships that if you don't buy it just doesn't work. If it worked for others, great. It didn't for me, which is disappointing because, like the prequels, I think there's a good story there, it just wasn't executed particularly well.

On the positive, it has some of the best fight sequences in Star Wars. I'd watch a supercut of just the fights. And the two teases of big characters in the finale hit me in the fanboy feels and did exactly what they were probably supposed to and made me go "I want to see more with them".

I'm not all that confident we will though, which kind of adds to the disappointment. I'd love to be wrong and look back on this as one of those shows that really hit their stride after the first season.

@Nubmer6

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Finished The Acolyte. Sorry, my dudes, it did not get better.

It's just hard to buy into the plight of Rick James' daughters when the writing and direction are this bad. And the fights were lame Hollywood, less atmospheric. Visually, the coolest part was the brief segment flying into the planet's rings. That felt truly inspired to me. Also thought the main adversary was alright and felt more three dimensional to me than everyone else.

It's a shame on multiple levels. There are interesting ideas here - Jedi intervention and harming people in the name of what's right, force users developing on their own, a much more amiable Sith than usual, the twin concept itself related to the force, etc. I don't have a problem with the core plot at all - with a different hand and vision, I think it could've actually been great. I could've really seen it setting up the original trilogy quite well with faith in the Jedi fraying and a Sith order coming to life on the outskirts because of Republic/Jedi myopia and inflexibility. It would actually be quite a relevant story in that sense, where good intentions and supposedly sound theories are outweighed by shitty results and a much more complex reality.

But the writing and attention to detail are totally off. I have to say, as someone who's been on the music/recording side of industry/media stuff, it's odd seeing the standards of big AAA companies slide on a fundamental level, irrespective of whether you like the series or not. There's a lot of amateurish shit in this one. I can't f***ing saying it enough - "good" matters. Ideas really only go as far as your execution.

And I know it's less fun to talk about, but it really sucks seeing a diverse cast in a huge IP series get put in such a terrible position with bad ideas. Not to absolve them of shit acting - and most of it is bad - but it's a bummer.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Did you know anything about the story going into it? Because they actually had to cut things out of the movie to make it less depressing than it already is

I knew about the story but none of the specifics. Shouldn’t have cut Chris. Also even with Fritz being a real piece of shit in it he looks like an angel in comparison to reality

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Finally finished the Sopranos. Best ending to a tv show I have ever seen. We all know what happened in that millisecond when it goes blank. Leaving it up to the mind to imagine the horror is more impactful than seeing it on the screen.

10/10

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Finally finished the Sopranos. Best ending to a tv show I have ever seen. We all know what happened in that millisecond when it goes blank. Leaving it up to the mind to imagine the horror is more impactful than seeing it on the screen.

10/10
It was a bit controversial at the time

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

10/10
I know right, clearly the guy walks in and asks for a Pork Roll sandwich and then … oh the horrors!

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
@Oneiro @MadDevil @NjDevsRR
Started listening to the Children of the Watch podcast episode about The Acolyte season finally and was pleasantly surprised. If you don’t want to listen to the whole hour and forty minutes, in the first 10min they do a pretty good summation of what went well and what could be improved, all in constructive manner.

I found myself more intrigued with the show with episodes 5-7, but was underwhelmed with the finale. After listening to these guys talk, I’m hopeful if they do make a season 2 with an internal assessment and some possible storytelling pivots.

Reactions: Oneiro and NjDevsRR

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Bummer. Was hoping he'd make it to 100, even though he still had another 5+ years left.

Betty White, Larry Storch and Bob Barker were such huge bummers fairly recently. They all made it to within under a year of turning 100. Betty White had like two weeks left?

I really have no strong opinions on Jimmy Carter as president one way or the other. Anybody who has been POTUS has skeletons in their closet and blood on their hands. Some much more than others. But I do root for people to make it to 100 years old, unless their quality of life is so poor that they may be better off not making it to 100. I heard he was in hospice over a year ago now, his wife has since passed and I've heard nothing more about him since. I'm glad Norman Lear did make 100 and actually 101, before passing away very recently.

One of the most fascinating things about Bob Newhart is that he was kind of like Lucy (Ball) where he had multiple shows that were named after him, where he had the name of Bob, but I don't believe he reprised his prior roles in any of the later shows.

His phone calls, where you never hear the person on the other line have been adopted by so many over the years.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

10/10
It was a bit controversial at the time
I've tried to come up with my own conclusions as to what happened, and who was behind it if what may have happened did happen. David Chase clearly stated he had an ending in mind where a particularly whacking happened, but decided against it because it pissed him off how fans wanted the character dead in the end. So it was scrapped.

The character of Butchie, who I guess was supposed to have succeeded Phil as boss in New York didn't particularly care for Tony and seemed to hate Tony and was the first to suggest whacking him in the first half of season 6, which Phil said was wrong to whack a boss when it was first suggested by him. So maybe that's why he ''Settled'' with Tony when Phil went into hiding, and maybe he's the guy behind what may have happened?

The Vito being gay storyline was probably one of my favorites, but it may have also been a moral low for most of their circle.

Ironically, there was a time where the mob actually offered protection to gays (for money of course) outside of gay clubs to ensure they weren't physically harmed by ruthless gay bashers. Which may have been why the two guys from New York were inside the club picking up a collection when Vito was first spotted. It was sickening how these guys were violently homophobic and wanted to kill a guy over it and hid behind their Catholic faith, yet they committed serial adultery, were thieves, murderers.

The fact they wanted to kill the guy for being gay was pretty horrific. There has long been speculation that Phil was a closeted gay man and that clues were given. I even saw a theory that he and Vito were having an affair and he wanted to immediately have Vito killed when Vito was outed to ensure that Vito would not say ''Well Phil Leotardo is gay with me!'' and also out Phil. I don't think I buy that they were having an off screen love affair though.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I've tried to come up with my own conclusions as to what happened, and who was behind it if what may have happened did happen. David Chase clearly stated he had an ending in mind where a particularly whacking happened, but decided against it because it pissed him off how fans wanted the character dead in the end. So it was scrapped.

The character of Butchie, who I guess was supposed to have succeeded Phil as boss in New York didn't particularly care for Tony and seemed to hate Tony and was the first to suggest whacking him in the first half of season 6, which Phil said was wrong to whack a boss when it was first suggested by him. So maybe that's why he ''Settled'' with Tony when Phil went into hiding, and maybe he's the guy behind what may have happened?

The Vito being gay storyline was probably one of my favorites, but it may have also been a moral low for most of their circle.

Ironically, there was a time where the mob actually offered protection to gays (for money of course) outside of gay clubs to ensure they weren't physically harmed by ruthless gay bashers. Which may have been why the two guys from New York were inside the club picking up a collection when Vito was first spotted. It was sickening how these guys were violently homophobic and wanted to kill a guy over it and hid behind their Catholic faith, yet they committed serial adultery, were thieves, murderers.

The fact they wanted to kill the guy for being gay was pretty horrific. There has long been speculation that Phil was a closeted gay man and that clues were given. I even saw a theory that he and Vito were having an affair and he wanted to immediately have Vito killed when Vito was outed to ensure that Vito would not say ''Well Phil Leotardo is gay with me!'' and also out Phil. I don't think I buy that they were having an off screen love affair though.
Did the writers ever give interviews to clarify anything? Usually they have an idea of what they want to portray even if what is shown departs from that a bit.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Did the writers ever give interviews to clarify anything? Usually they have an idea of what they want to portray even if what is shown departs from that a bit.
There's a podcast. I should have started them back when they were new, as I don't have much motivation to binge them at this point. I did try to listen to a few, particularly during a long drive a few months ago. Then I tried to listen to some while I was walking and I couldn't get into them.

But it's with the actors who play Christopher and Bobby. They host it. I think they have an episode for every episode of the show, and they did them during the pandemic. I wish I had listened to them all every week when they were coming out, but I lost motivation to listen to anything after the first 8 episodes. They had the actress who plays Meadow on the last one I listened to and she was annoying, so maybe I just need to skip that episode and continue? I was losing motivation to listen to them all though.

Anyway, I guess these two guys hosting it give their thoughts as to what happened. They don't know for a fact and they don't claim to have been tipped off by any of the writers, but I guess they share their thoughts. Michael Imperioli (Christopher) believes he was whacked. Some believe the entire family, save for Meadow (because she hadn't made it to the table yet) were whacked after the screen goes dark. I don't think I heard the episode where he says this, it's probably in the finale episode, since that happened in the finale.

But everybody I've talked to who listened to the podcast enjoys it. It's just hard to catch up on 80-something podcasts from several years ago. That's why I said I wish I was listening to these when they were new.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
There's a podcast. I should have started them back when they were new, as I don't have much motivation to binge them at this point. I did try to listen to a few, particularly during a long drive a few months ago. Then I tried to listen to some while I was walking and I couldn't get into them.

But it's with the actors who play Christopher and Bobby. They host it. I think they have an episode for every episode of the show, and they did them during the pandemic. I wish I had listened to them all every week when they were coming out, but I lost motivation to listen to anything after the first 8 episodes. They had the actress who plays Meadow on the last one I listened to and she was annoying, so maybe I just need to skip that episode and continue? I was losing motivation to listen to them all though.

Anyway, I guess these two guys hosting it give their thoughts as to what happened. They don't know for a fact and they don't claim to have been tipped off by any of the writers, but I guess they share their thoughts. Michael Imperioli (Christopher) believes he was whacked. Some believe the entire family, save for Meadow (because she hadn't made it to the table yet) were whacked after the screen goes dark. I don't think I heard the episode where he says this, it's probably in the finale episode, since that happened in the finale.

But everybody I've talked to who listened to the podcast enjoys it. It's just hard to catch up on 80-something podcasts from several years ago. That's why I said I wish I was listening to these when they were new.
That podcast is on hbo max if anyone’s interested

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That podcast is on hbo max if anyone’s interested
You can also get them on the podcast app on your iPhone and I'm assuming the Droid has the equivalent. They may even be on youtube, though I'm not completely sure.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Ok so I binged the Acolyte the past 2 days. I’ve been wondering how it was getting such high professional reviews (paid off websites is my guess) and such low fan reviews (review bombing).

In the end, personally I think it lies somewhere inbetween the two for an overall rating. Poor acting (for some) and writing were what brought it down for me. I feel like the show never had a chance to be a hit success though due to the bad press the director and main actress gave it (like it or not). I feel like Disney needs to give their people a refresher on Public speaking like
Athletes get on how to deal with the press.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Ok so I binged the Acolyte the past 2 days. I’ve been wondering how it was getting such high professional reviews (paid off websites is my guess) and such low fan reviews (review bombing).

In the end, personally I think it lies somewhere inbetween the two for an overall rating. Poor acting (for some) and writing were what brought it down for me. I feel like the show never had a chance to be a hit success though due to the bad press the director and main actress gave it (like it or not). I feel like Disney needs to give their people a refresher on Public speaking like
Athletes get on how to deal with the press.
To be fair, some of the bad press was people with an agenda digging up old interviews from them about past projects that weren't even related to Star Wars and then feigning outrage to get engagement on Twitter. Which isn't surprising given what an absolute hellhole of assholes, grifters, and dipshits that platform has turned into.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
To be fair, some of the bad press was people with an agenda digging up old interviews from them about past projects that weren't even related to Star Wars and then feigning outrage to get engagement on Twitter. Which isn't surprising given what an absolute hellhole of assholes, grifters, and dipshits that platform has turned into.
I hadn’t seen that side of it with being old interviews. I’m pretty sure you just described all of social media though.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I hadn’t seen that side of it with being old interviews. I’m pretty sure you just described all of social media though.
It just sucks that negativity drives engagement and people are incentivized by it, but I guess that just might be human nature. The old adage "If it bleeds, it leads" comes to mind. Which just makes the discourse around this show even more frustrating. Personally, it just didn't work for me and I think it's the worst of the Star Wars shows, but for none of the dumb reasons that seem to get amplified on social media. I just don't think they did a good enough job telling the story they wanted to. I didn't care enough about the characters for the big emotional moments to actually hit.

The stupid nitpicks about certain characters ages or Force powers we've never seen before or using the word "hell" just don't really matter to me. It's honestly kind of weird to me as somebody who read almost every EU novel back in the day and knew that none of it was actually "canon" compared to the films that people now take "canon" so seriously. Or at least pretend they do. It's hard to separate those who actually believe the shit they post from those who are just doing it for clicks sometimes.

Back to the Acolyte, I think it was another missed opportunity in an ever growing list of missed opportunities by Disney. The premise of it being more of a darker look into the Sith was great. The execution, not so much. Book of Boba Fett was sold as a gangster type show with a character with the most badass armor ever, it was a disappointment. Obi-Wan featured the return of Ewan MacGregor and Hayden Christianson, and fell flat outside of the Obi-Wan/Vader showdown. All of these shows could have, and probably should have, been huge hits, but weren't. Between that and their inability to get a f***ing Star Wars movie back in theaters in a time when comic book movies and franchises like Dune are doing it is just frustrating and disappointing.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Just finished up watching Shogun this weekend - very good series overall. First series my wife and I have watched on our own in quite some time. Grabbed some sushi and sake for the finale - can't say I have much interest in having sake again though.

Decided to watch it based on a few recommendations in this thread, so thanks to whoever suggested it.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Just watched Civil War, didn't like it at all. The trailers really led me to believe it would be a completely different movie but the first hour is so slow and boring and basically nothing happens. Jesse Plemons had the most intense scene and almost all of it was shown in the trailer. Apparently he wasn't even originally casted for that part, the guy who was dropped out and since he was just hanging around the set because his wife Dunst is in the movie she said he should do it.

War is bad, we all already knew that and don't need to watch meaningless fighting to get that message across. There's absolutely no people around, guess everyone's just dead or left. The war journalists make some of the absolutely stupidest decisions. Just dumb.

Can't recommend it at all, if it's ever on just watch the Plemons scene and that's it. Really happy I didn't pay to see this one in the theaters.

Last edited:

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
Just watched Civil War, didn't like it at all. The trailers really led me to believe it would be a completely different movie but the first hour is so slow and boring and basically nothing happens. Jesse Plemons had the most intense scene and almost all of it was shown in the trailer. Apparently he wasn't even originally casted for that part, the guy who was dropped out and since he was just hanging around the set because his wife Dunst is in the movie she said he should do it.

War is bad, we all already knew that and don't need to watch meaningless fighting to get that message across. There's absolutely no people around, guess everyone's just dead or left. The war journalists make some of the absolutely stupidest decisions. Just dumb.

Can't recommend it at all, if it's ever on just watch the Plemons scene and that's it. Really happy I didn't pay to see this one in the theaters.
Movie was horrible and everyone else I know shares the same sentiment as you.. the trailer had me looking forward to seeing it as well..

Reactions: Satans Hockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad