OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Just finished up watching Shogun this weekend - very good series overall. First series my wife and I have watched on our own in quite some time. Grabbed some sushi and sake for the finale - can't say I have much interest in having sake again though.

Decided to watch it based on a few recommendations in this thread, so thanks to whoever suggested it.
I just recommended Shogun to my brother last night, we were discussing HOTD and he didn’t know what else to check out this summer.

Shogun has the second best “this scene is basically just someone walking” scene in recent memory, after HOTD.

Reactions: Darkauron

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Just finished up watching Shogun this weekend - very good series overall. First series my wife and I have watched on our own in quite some time. Grabbed some sushi and sake for the finale - can't say I have much interest in having sake again though.

Decided to watch it based on a few recommendations in this thread, so thanks to whoever suggested it.
Don't give up on Sake if it was your first time trying it. I've had some gross ones (unfiltered) and some really really good ones. Just stick with popular cold ones is my advice and branch out from there. Hot sake made me goofy as a nun in a cucumber patch - that's for cold weather emergencies only from now on.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Don't give up on Sake if it was your first time trying it. I've had some gross ones (unfiltered) and some really really good ones. Just stick with popular cold ones is my advice and branch out from there. Hot sake made me goofy as a nun in a cucumber patch - that's for cold weather emergencies only from now on.
What would a Nun do in a cucumber patch?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

I usually prefer cocktails anyway, so it's not really up my alley...though the sake was certainly better when paired with food versus on its own, but it did need to be really chilled. I do need to expand my cocktail rotation though, which usually is a Manhattan though I've also been working in an El Presidente recently.

Not sure if I got a decent bottle of sake or not - asked one of the guys at Gary's Wines (which usually has good staff on hand for any questions) for a recommendation and he basically said that he can answer any wine question but new next to nothing about sake. He did point out the top 3 sellers though, so I picked one of those bottles.

I should probably watch HOTD at some point, but I don't subscribe to HBO and it takes my wife and I some time to get through a series as we're usually busy with the kids or watching something with them (or during hockey season, I'm watching Devils games). Might just have to binge on that somewhere down the line.

Also saw there's a new season of Alone out, so will probably watch that as a family. Usually fairly interesting even if it does drag on a points.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
Nothing wrong with a manhattan. Old fashioned is one of my favorites also. Presidente margaritas are the best margaritas. Fresh squeezed lime >>>> mix.

Also Seasmoke don't take orders from no filthy common folk. lol

1721678384748.jpeg

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Daemon slowly losing his mind with a goth chick while his wife and former paramour are hooking up on Dragonstone is pretty funny.

I kinda chuckled when one of the dragon handlers told Ser Steffon to show no fear. My white cloak would have been brown by that point if I was him lol

My only gripe about HOTD is that we already only have two episodes left. Hopefully the turnaround for season 3 is a lot shorter.

Reactions: Darkauron

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So I am rewatching the ending parts of SpiderMan No Way Home. They are begging for a third Amazing SpiderMan movie. Given how well the current SpiderMan does is there no way to team them up again in the world occupied by Garfield’s SpiderMan? He needs more closure. Saving Zendaya was a start but they need to give him a real pinnacle to his arc.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
Daemon slowly losing his mind with a goth chick while his wife and former paramour are hooking up on Dragonstone is pretty funny.

I kinda chuckled when one of the dragon handlers told Ser Steffon to show no fear. My white cloak would have been brown by that point if I was him lol

My only gripe about HOTD is that we already only have two episodes left. Hopefully the turnaround for season 3 is a lot shorter.
and what's with the shortening of seasons? S1 was 10 ep, S2 is only 8. S3 gonna be 6?

KEEP SEASONS 10 ep at least please. 12 is ideal imo - allows you to chapter and verse things into 3 ep arcs with 4 movements which paces things very nicely with plot design.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
and what's with the shortening of seasons? S1 was 10 ep, S2 is only 8. S3 gonna be 6?

KEEP SEASONS 10 ep at least please. 12 is ideal imo - allows you to chapter and verse things into 3 ep arcs with 4 movements which paces things very nicely with plot design.
The changing of the season length came down to budgets.

If I’m remembering correctly the show went to Max and said we need $XXXX dollars to film what we want. Max said we can give that to you but you need to spread that over an additional season.

HOTD team looked at their story and said if they shortened all the seasons, and then added an extra, that was reasonable and they got their money.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because unlike the latter seasons of GOT it doesn't feel like they're just rushing to get it over with. On top of the budget it might be that the best place to end this season is after 8 episodes instead of 10. Obviously I'd love more because I think they've done a hell of a job adapting what isn't really that much source material. Until they give me reason to doubt them I'm going to assume they know what they're doing this time.

It does make me wish this crew did the last few seasons instead of those two dipshits David and Dan.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I finished the new show on Peacock Those About to Die" The first episode wasn't the best but the series got better as it went on. The bad cgi and so much green screen work instead of real sets does drag the series down a bit. Anthony Hopkins looks good for 86 years old and Iwan Rehon has a great character and plays his role really well.

Is it the level of Rome or game of thrones? No but I was never bored watching it and I kept wanting to watch each episode to see what would happen next. Would definitely watch a season 2 if they decide to make it.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Anyone going to see Deadpool and Wolverine this week?

I plan on seeing it but I only go on the Regal cheaper ticket Tuesdays because the prices are too much for tickets otherwise. The Red Bulls have a home game this Tuesday so gotta wait to the Tuesday after to see it.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
You can tell when an actor actually cares about a role, and RR definitely puts his heart into this character.
I saw a clip of him being interviewed about the movie and he wrote at least parts of this one. Really impressive. He brings the character to life as more than a bunch of one liners and the tone of the movies is perfect. I'm not sure why it's hard for some people to see the silly side of comic book movies. You are dealing with grownups running around in Underoos and saying ridiculous things with a straight face. It's inherently funny and Marvel sort of gets that compared to DC but the Deadpool movies really lean into that which is what I enjoy the most. Deadpool as a character is after my childhood so I never read any of his comic books but I presume the template for him was based on the comics? I did expect Jackman's Wolverine to be a bit more comedic than he is portrayed in the ads. They look to be setting him up to be a tragic figure which surprised me a bit.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I plan on seeing it but I only go on the Regal cheaper ticket Tuesdays because the prices are too much for tickets otherwise. The Red Bulls have a home game this Tuesday so gotta wait to the Tuesday after to see it.
I see maybe 1-2 movies in theaters a year anymore. I pay for a few streaming services so it makes it more worth it for them when big movies come out. We are seeing it Saturday for a matinee.

Btw… movie theaters are dying… so one of their moves is to charge people who are buying tickets in advance an extra fee? Nope, won’t use those theaters anymore.

I saw a clip of him being interviewed about the movie and he wrote at least parts of this one. Really impressive. He brings the character to life as more than a bunch of one liners and the tone of the movies is perfect. I'm not sure why it's hard for some people to see the silly side of comic book movies. You are dealing with grownups running around in Underoos and saying ridiculous things with a straight face. It's inherently funny and Marvel sort of gets that compared to DC but the Deadpool movies really lean into that which is what I enjoy the most. Deadpool as a character is after my childhood so I never read any of his comic books but I presume the template for him was based on the comics? I did expect Jackman's Wolverine to be a bit more comedic than he is portrayed in the ads. They look to be setting him up to be a tragic figure which surprised me a bit.
My brother collected Deadpool when I was a kid so I read quite a few. It’s been awhile but from what I remember, RR and crew have knocked the character’s personality out of the park from movie 1.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I see maybe 1-2 movies in theaters a year anymore. I pay for a few streaming services so it makes it more worth it for them when big movies come out. We are seeing it Saturday for a matinee.

Btw… movie theaters are dying… so one of their moves is to charge people who are buying tickets in advance an extra fee? Nope, won’t use those theaters anymore.

My brother collected Deadpool when I was a kid so I read quite a few. It’s been awhile but from what I remember, RR and crew have knocked the character’s personality out of the park from movie 1.

My Regal is charging more for it opening weekend too. Matinee is almost $17 but at night is $20 other movies that same day are like $15 for a matinee and $19 for night. Tuesdays are $8 so that's the only day I'll go. I don't find it hard to avoid spoilers so I don't care about seeing anything opening weekend anymore.

Regal unlimited is a great deal if you go a lot but between all the commericals and trailers and dealing with other people and not being able to pause I'd rather watch most movies from home anyway. Especially with how fast they come out now to watch them at home.

• Wow
Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
My Regal is charging more for it opening weekend too. Matinee is almost $17 but at night is $20 other movies that same day are like $15 for a matinee and $19 for night. Tuesdays are $8 so that's the only day I'll go. I don't find it hard to avoid spoilers so I don't care about seeing anything opening weekend anymore.

Regal unlimited is a great deal if you go a lot but between all the commericals and trailers and dealing with other people and not being able to pause I'd rather watch most movies from home anyway. Especially with how fast they come out now to watch them at home.
I could never do the unlimited because having kids makes movies turn into a meal and an event :laugh:.

About a year ago or so we were buying our 1st theater tickets in a long while and it was adding I think $3 per ticket for pre selecting our seats (which theaters started doing this on their own years prior), so I just stopped the process and went to a smaller theater near me. Your business is struggling, so your solution is to charge the patrons you still have more to try and make up for it? Nope, not from my wallet.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I could never do the unlimited because having kids makes movies turn into a meal and an event :laugh:.

About a year ago or so we were buying our 1st theater tickets in a long while and it was adding I think $3 per ticket for pre selecting our seats (which theaters started doing this on their own years prior), so I just stopped the process and went to a smaller theater near me. Your business is struggling, so your solution is to charge the patrons you still have more to try and make up for it? Nope, not from my wallet.
They’d tell you it’s a value added service. I’m not sure I agree but getting tickets in advance with a guaranteed specific seat is more attractive for a new release movie at times. Of course the wife and I went to see Oddity (pretty good movie) this past weekend and the theatre was maybe half filled so we could have shown up last minute and still gotten the seats we wanted without paying for the privilege. For Deadpool I’m guessing I’ll be glad to have it squared away before I go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad