Player Discussion Conor Garland

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
He plays with emotion, grit and determination... also the goal celebrations are amazing, that's how it should be.

Got tired of the usual Elias Pettersson goal with no emotion fist bumb. Love Garland! A player fans can get behind just like the 2011 roster. Garland contract will look amazing in the years to come.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
How Benning pilfered this guy out of Arizona, and offloaded three deadwood contracts in the bargain is shaping up as one of the mysteries of the universe. At this point OEL, is only icing on the cake in that deal.

I realize it cost them a top-10 pick as well as a second-rounder, but Garland is signed through five seasons and is still only 25.
Coyote fan coming in peace. Most disagree with me on the Coyote's board but in my eyes it was a terrible deal for AZ. Sure we got a 9OA in the deal, but who says that pick will be as good as Garland. When you trade your best forward you need a proven NHL player back in the deal. Add to that you get OEL who I loved in AZ. Sure he has lost a step due to injuries, but his IQ is off the chart. Enjoy those two players. I will be following and cheering for the Canucks this year as the Coyotes are unwatchable.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Coyote fan coming in peace. Most disagree with me on the Coyote's board but in my eyes it was a terrible deal for AZ. Sure we got a 9OA in the deal, but who says that pick will be as good as Garland. When you trade your best forward you need a proven NHL player back in the deal. Add to that you get OEL who I loved in AZ. Sure he has lost a step due to injuries, but his IQ is off the chart. Enjoy those two players. I will be following and cheering for the Canucks this year as the Coyotes are unwatchable.

Clear win for Jimbo IMO, we got the two best players in a multi-player deal. That says it all.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Garland is becoming the face of the franchise and hasn't even played a home game yet !!! This guy is a gamer and he's the spark plug we have needed since Burrows left.
Patrons at Rogers Arena will fall in love with this player after a couple of shifts. I don't know if he becomes the 'face of the franchise' but as a 'culture carrier' the Canucks couldn't do any better than follow his lead every night.

Never takes a shift or a game off.....Other posters have pointed out that he plays with a Brad Marchant edge to his game, and is a scorer to boot. I guess Arizona just didn't want to pay him....but what an 'add' for the Canucks! A legit top-six forward on an affordable contract for the next five seasons.

Just wish the Canucks could have found a way to make a few more of those kind of deals over the years.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Always liked Garland and thought he was a great addition from the off.

Question was always how quickly he would fit in and where. Has not taken much time at all.

Miller had a little bit when he first came in, but the effort, feistiness and trolling (while backing it up) has not been seen here in a long time.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Always liked Garland and thought he was a great addition from the off.

Question was always how quickly he would fit in and where. Has not taken much time at all.

Miller had a little bit when he first came in, but the effort, feistiness and trolling (while backing it up) has not been seen here in a long time.
Miller got weighed down by the CONSTANT losing (given that he came from the Bolts). Shouldn't be a problem with Garland.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Miller got weighed down by the CONSTANT losing (given that he came from the Bolts). Shouldn't be a problem with Garland.
Yeah, Miller has 8 points in 6 games with EP dragging him down right now. He’s tied for the points lead with Garland. I think he’s been fine.

As for Garland, the angry elf is quickly becoming a fan favourite. He and Hoglander bring a ton of extra energy to the team. Small players with tons of compete that play hard every night.

Something to be said for having a chip on their shoulders from being told at every level they are too small to make it.

Last edited:

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Him and Demko are probably the best players on the Canucks right now. Hughes in the conversation too. Boeser and Petey could start doing a little more to live up to their contracts…
Petey for sure, Boeser is getting paid pretty cheaply right now so he has a longer leash imo.

andyJH

Dec 28, 2005

angry_little_elf.jpg

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Garland became a career + player like 3 days ago and is +3 on the season. 8 points in 6 games. I'll take that over Hyman who is 4 years older, 6 points in 5 games but -3. It's a small sample size so being +6 over Hyman in just 5-6 games is a huge margin. That's a full goal better 5 on 5 per game.

Not saying I expect that kind of margin to maintain but given the contract gaps for two guys with near identical goal and points rates over their careers (with Garland being 4 years younger and a slightly higher goals/game), I am really happy with him. The guy gives me Kesler vibes with his intensity, will to win, trolling, and straight rage out there. Clutch as well.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
He plays with emotion, grit and determination... also the goal celebrations are amazing, that's how it should be.

Got tired of the usual Elias Pettersson goal with no emotion fist bumb. Love Garland! A player fans can get behind just like the 2011 roster. Garland contract will look amazing in the years to come.
Yah its weird how everyone eventually hates playing here.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
the thing you love about Garland in the early going, is that he's basically 'a plug in and play' forward who can jump-start any line he's on. Move him up to the top line; or down to the third; and all of a sudden you've got a line that pushing the pace the other way.

I'd like to see Green try Garland on a line with Pettersson. If this 'energizer bunny' can't get Pettersson out of his funk, nobody can.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yeah, Miller has 8 points in 6 games with EP dragging him down right now. He’s tied for the points lead with Garland. I think he’s been fine.

As for Garland, the angry elf is quickly becoming a fan favourite. He and Hoglander bring a ton of extra energy to the team. Small players with tons of compete that play hard every night.

Something to be said for having a chip on their shoulders from being told at every level they are too small to make it.
Their value to a team is more because their work ethic is infectious imho.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
These effort players like Garland, Hoglander, Podzolkin and Motte are great for the JT Millers and Pearsons that have a tendency to take games off. One on each line will just keep every forward honest in a long season.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
When or if the Pettersson line starts playing hockey again, we will be even better with Garland and Hog pushing the pace on the other lines. Our drivers are going to mask a lot of our weaknesses this year.

Reactions: bh53

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
In the same tier as Jonathan Marchessault and Viktor Arvidsson with their tenacity and skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad