Player Discussion Conor Garland

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
If Miller played with Garlands pace and relentlessness he would be a top 20 player in the league. Hope that spreads around the room.

Reactions: elitepete

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Being on his 3rd team in 2 years was probably a wake up call. Likely more content now still good but doesn’t bring it every shift like he did then.

Maybe he did have a chip on his shoulder? I don't know. I mean he did have 4 years left on his contract when he arrived here.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Being on his 3rd team in 2 years was probably a wake up call. Likely more content now still good but doesn’t bring it every shift like he did then.
To be fair...his linemate, EP didnt really bring it last season, and he's rusty this season....When EP went down last season , Miller (and Demko) picked the team up by the scruff of the neck, after the horrendous start.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Maybe he did have a chip on his shoulder? I don't know. I mean he did have 4 years left on his contract when he arrived here.

I definitely think he had a chip on his shoulder he was dumped as the weak link on stacked team with cap problems.

To be fair...his linemate, EP didnt really bring it last season, and he's rusty this season....When EP went down last season , Miller (and Demko) picked the team up by the scruff of the neck, after the horrendous start.

I actually did think about that. Pettersson had a huge hand in Miller success and he’s been shutting the bed. If Pettersson bounces back he likely handles the puck more and Miller is probably less prone to turnovers.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Okay I know we don't like Don Cherry anymore.

But can you imagine if he hadn't said all that stupid crap and still had his intermission show on Saturdays....

Don't you think he would do a segment on Garland? How can you not absolutely love this player!

Reactions: Indiana

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Okay I know we don't like Don Cherry anymore.

But can you imagine if he hadn't said all that stupid crap and still had his intermission show on Saturdays....

Don't you think he would do a segment on Garland? How can you not absolutely love this player!
He's not from Ontario.:naughty:

Beat me to it :laugh:

Or anywhere in Canada for that matter.

Yeah I was thinking that might be the only obstacle. He can't say, "good old Canadian boy" :)

He is a former Boston Junior Bruin. :nod:

Reactions: elitepete

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
1. Demko
2. Garland
3. Hughes
4. Hoglander
5. Miller

big gap

Rest of team.

Its funny though, there are really only a handful of standout individual disappointments (Petey, Chiasson, Dickinson imo) and I feel like we deserve better than 5-6-1. Definitely the coaching (systems and special teams) playing a large role in our record.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Aside from Demko he's been our best player all year. Reminds me of Burrows.
I’ve seen this posted a few times, I love both players but they seem very different other than the agitation/work ethic.

Burrows much more reliable defensively, relied a lot on generating offense from the cycle/net front. Garland is questionable defensively, much more skilled with the puck, more dynamic offensively.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
I’ve seen this posted a few times, I love both players but they seem very different other than the agitation/work ethic.

Burrows much more reliable defensively, relied a lot on generating offense from the cycle/net front. Garland is questionable defensively, much more skilled with the puck, more dynamic offensively.
Sorry I should’ve clarified. I meant Garland’s work rate and how he’s always a thorn in the other players side.

Totally agree on the playstyle though

Reactions: Nucker101

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What's particularly encouraging about Garland, is that the Canucks will benefit from his best years in the league. Still only 25, he'll be a force for at least the next five seasons.

But at his size and with the hard physical minutes he plays, you worry about injuries long-term. Coyote watchers predicted Garland would be a fan-favorite after his first 10 games with the Canucks, and he's delivered. He can single-handedly jumpstart any line he lands on.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Sorry I should’ve clarified. I meant Garland’s work rate and how he’s always a thorn in the other players side.

Totally agree on the playstyle though

You don't need to clarify, I knew exactly what you meant. I'm picking up Burrows vibes too. Not to mention 1990-era Theo Fleury vibes. These types of gritty, high energy, skilled, never-say-die players are ALWAYS fan favourites for a reason.

Reactions: elitepete and DFAC

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Garland is always first to the puck, and just when you think he's screwed against a towering defenseman, he wins that puck battle too. So shifty on his skates, leaving oncoming checkers looking foolish. Loving this pickup, already a fan favorite because he's "Always" giving 110%. Amazing player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad