Player Discussion Conor Garland

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I keep hearing journalists saying that he's hated by other players. As a fan, I love watching him play for a couple of years now, so I dont know where it came from, are the journalists using hyperbole?

Do players hate him because they keep getting burned by him? Does he talk smack excessively? Or did he have a reputation of being dirty back in Az that I am not aware of (like a M.Tkachuk)?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I keep hearing journalists saying that he's hated by other players. As a fan, I love watching him play for a couple of years now, so I dont know where it came from, are the journalists using hyperbole?

Do players hate him because they keep getting burned by him? Does he talk smack excessively? Or did he have a reputation of being dirty back in Az that I am not aware of (like a M.Tkachuk)?
I have theory.......some bigger guys 'hate him' because he makes them look bad by comparison. He's a 5'8" player who plays with a relentless motor and an edge to his game that gets under the skin of players who figure that just because he's short, he should go quietly when it comes to puck battles.

Let's face it, he made Zadina look like a fool in that by game but just planting himself and taking the hit.....and the bigger guy goes for a pratfall.

Coaches can point to bigger players in the Jake Virtanen mold with a simple message. "If you played the game like Conor Garland, imagine how good you'd be."

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I have theory.......some bigger guys 'hate him' because he makes them look bad by comparison. He's a 5'8" player who plays with a relentless motor and an edge to his game that gets under the skin of players who figure that just because he's short, he should go quietly when it comes to puck battles.

Let's face it, he made Zadina look like a fool in that by game but just planting himself and taking the hit.....and the bigger guy goes for a pratfall.

Coaches can point to bigger players in the Jake Virtanen mold with a simple message. "If you played the game like Conor Garland, imagine how good you'd be."

It's like a small darting point guard "breaking ankles." :laugh:

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Garland is bringing something this team has lacked since Burrows left. There's been way too many games over the years where the Canucks just look like they're going through the motions without anyone really stepping up. For all his flaws Miller does this from time to time. So does Pettersson. But Garland does it compulsively. I think he's going to have a big impact on the team culture and get everyone more invested in the outcomes of the games

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I would get a Garland jersey over any other player at the moment.
upload_2021-10-19_11-55-39.png

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.

He’s one of those guys who is difficult to play against. Like a Marchand, so they hate playing against him but would love to have him on their team

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
He’s one of those guys who is difficult to play against. Like a Marchand, so they hate playing against him but would love to have him on their team

They dont hate Marchand for that reason alone...... I do see Garland in that Marchand playstyle, but I definitely dont see them as comparable btw the ears.

Reactions: Indiana

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Still waiting to see why he got a 600% pay increase.

An RFA making almost league minimum gets paid 5 mil a season contract without breaking a sweat. Multiple Concussions (Upper body injuries)
Eriksson 2.0 maybe?
Just less money but same bad deal?

BUT he is getting a point per game avg so far

E D

Winger Super Squad
Feb 13, 2012
Canadia
Might only be a handful of games as a Canucks, but he's been playing like this for the last couple of years with Arizona. My only concern is injuries with such an aggressive game and getting under other teams skins since they'll retaliate. Those little shots guys take at him can really take a toll over the course of the entire season

Reactions: Indiana

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I’m 6’6, and I’ve always found short guys that compete hard in various sports quite frustrating to play against. I don’t think it’s necessarily about looking bad, it’s that if they’re strong and know how to use their leverage properly they can take away a lot of the advantages of being bigger and stronger that you take for granted, even moreso than someone who is only a bit smaller. If someone puts their hip/butt into your thigh, it’s actually pretty hard to move them when you’re battling for a puck/position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad