Connor McDavid Playoff Performance

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
why would this be an important stat? do you have any other qualifiers? How about only blondes too?

Seems pretty simple to understand but I'll expand a bit.

Can we all agree, that as players become more accustomed to certain situations they tend to play better in those situations?

That is why I chose to review players in their first playoff experience. The reason I chose those players is because they are usually considered the best in the league.

I threw in draisaitl for ***** n giggles.

Based on these stats McDavid is doing fine for himself, and if some of his chances start to go in, we could see him pull away from the pack.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Seems pretty simple to understand but I'll expand a bit.

Can we all agree, that as players become more accustomed to certain situations they tend to play better in those situations?

That is why I chose to review players in their first playoff experience. The reason I chose those players is because they are usually considered the best in the league.

I threw in draisaitl for ***** n giggles.

Based on these stats McDavid is doing fine for himself, and if some of his chances start to go in, we could see him pull away from the pack.

ok and sampling 5 games from Crosby and 4 from Malkin is kind of stupid.

Basing your opinion of mcdavid's playoff future off of a handful of games from super stars in their second NHL season seems like an irresponsible way to form opinions but can do what you want. I just think its a pointless thing to look at.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Basing your opinion of mcdavid's playoff future off of a handful of games from super stars in their second NHL season seems like an irresponsible way to form opinions but can do what you want. I just think its a pointless thing to look at.

Not really when they only played those many games in the playoffs of their 2nd season. He's basing it off the playoffs. Not the Regular Season.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007

So we can agree that McDavid has been able to lead his team to heights the penguins stars had found unattainable?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If Draisaitl was being shadowed for most of the game, by one of the top defensive centres in the game, I might agree with you.

Draisaitl is much more physically ready to deal with the NHL playoffs. The kid is a physical beast much like a young Kopitar. It definitely helps him having Connor keyed on all series, but Draisaitl honestly has outplayed Connor this series. This is McDavid's first full NHL season and he still isn't anywhere close to being the physically developed beast that Draisaitl is (he never will be, but he'll certainly get bigger and stronger than he currently is). Might take Connor another couple years before he can dominate the playoffs the same way he has in the regular season. You've seen him take over shifts and even large portions of games throughout the playoffs, but it hasn't been as consistent as it has for Drai.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Draisaitl is much more physically ready to deal with the NHL playoffs. The kid is a physical beast much like a young Kopitar. It definitely helps him having Connor keyed on all series, but Draisaitl honestly has outplayed Connor this series. This is McDavid's first full NHL season and he still isn't anywhere close to being the physically developed beast that Draisaitl is (he never will be, but he'll certainly get bigger and stronger than he currently is). Might take Connor another couple years before he can dominate the playoffs the same way he has in the regular season. You've seen him take over shifts and even large portions of games throughout the playoffs, but it hasn't been as consistent as it has for Drai.

IF Draisaitl didn't have his 4 point and 5 point games people would be singing a different tune. A couple lucky bounces here and there and people would be saying McDavid is unstoppable.

I'm just happy we will have both of them on our team for the next decade+

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
I can empathize with Oilers fans. Reminds me of the micromanaging of every game Crosby plays.

Doesn't score a point: "LOL best player in the world my ass! Invisible when his team needs him."

Scores a point in a loss: "His team still lost. He should have scored more"

Generates countless chances but doesn't get a point: "He was invisible. The boxscore says so"

It's annoying how every single playoff game seemingly sums up the entire essence of a player for some people.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
IF Draisaitl didn't have his 4 point and 5 point games people would be singing a different tune. A couple lucky bounces here and there and people would be saying McDavid is unstoppable.

At the same time, if he didn't have the flu for the majority of the 1st round he might be leading the playoffs in scoring.

I agree though, we could not be much luckier as fans to have McDavid-Draisaitl as our 1-2 punch for the foreseeable future.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Based on what? He hasn't even been a PPG in the 2nd round.

It's a team game. The Oilers have a deep team that GM's dream about at night and Give coaches sleepless nights because they have to figure out how to cover not only him but the other lines that have been causing damage. And when they do find a solution on how to cover McDavid, the rest of the team has enough talent to score.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Holy **** man lmao. Your blinding hatred for McDavid (as he's a threat to Crosby's crown) rendered you incapable of reading what we're even talking about. That post is about Draisaitl.

Take it easy. It wasn't clear who you were talking about. It is a McDavid thread you know. The other poster was trying to pump up McDavid.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Take it easy. It wasn't clear who you were talking about. It is a McDavid thread you know. The other poster was trying to pump up McDavid.

It was quite clear given Draisaitl is the one who struggled for most of round 1 because he had the flu and McDavid is no where near leading the playoffs in points.

Its honestly become tiring reading your posts in every McDavid thread trying to downplay anything he does so you really shouldn't be surprised that I'd find it hilarious to find you in here making a comment without properly reading the posts.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

We'd be singing a different tune because Edmonton probably wouldn't be playing anymore. Without Draisiatl's 4 and 5 point games, Edmonton might not be in the playoffs right now.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
Other than 3-4 games where he almost certainly had the flu, the eye test says he's been quite good. However, he's been very unlucky in the assist department. He's gotten a bounce or two with his goals, but his bread and butter is his playmaking and at the moment every time he creates a scoring chance his teammates just miss, hit the post, get a bad bounce, goalie makes a great save etc etc. There have also been a bunch of goal scoring plays where he created the whole thing but doesn't end up with an assist.

I honestly think he and Draisaitl have had very similar playoffs, 3-4 bad games with the flu, 5-6 good games, and 2-3 great games. The difference is that when Leon had his best games he also got the bounces and ended up with a 4 point night and a 5 point night, whereas Connor has had a few games where he has played great but ended up with only a single point or none at all.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Other than 3-4 games where he almost certainly had the flu, the eye test says he's been quite good. However, he's been very unlucky in the assist department. He's gotten a bounce or two with his goals, but his bread and butter is his playmaking and at the moment every time he creates a scoring chance his teammates just miss, hit the post, get a bad bounce, goalie makes a great save etc etc. There have also been a bunch of goal scoring plays where he created the whole thing but doesn't end up with an assist.

I honestly think he and Draisaitl have had very similar playoffs, 3-4 bad games with the flu, 5-6 good games, and 2-3 great games. The difference is that when Leon had his best games he also got the bounces and ended up with a 4 point night and a 5 point night, whereas Connor has had a few games where he has played great but ended up with only a single point or none at all.

I think while you do make some good points, its also plainly obvious that Draisaitl has just simply found more ways to be effective these playoffs. McDavid can't do a lot at this point to overcome all the tight checking/infractions that are allowed in playoffs while Draisaitl can just bulldoze through it and has started to get very physical out there. Connor has looked more dynamic for stretches, as he's the more dynamic player, but Draisaitl has consistently found ways to be effective and has taken over games.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think while you do make some good points, its also plainly obvious that Draisaitl has just simply found more ways to be effective these playoffs. McDavid can't do a lot at this point to overcome all the tight checking/infractions that are allowed in playoffs while Draisaitl can just bulldoze through it and has started to get very physical out there. Connor has looked more dynamic for stretches, as he's the more dynamic player, but Draisaitl has consistently found ways to be effective and has taken over games.

I think its mostly due to the fact that Draisaitl's half game offense is arguably better than McDavid's because he's better off the cycle and is stronger on the puck / around the net.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011

Fair enough, Draisaitl's strength is probably better suited to playoff hockey, particularly against a team like the Ducks. However, if you were to count the scoring chances created by both players over the course of the playoffs I bet they would be pretty similar. I love Drai to death, I just felt the need to defend McDavid a bit since I think the stats are a little misleading.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think its mostly due to the fact that Draisaitl's half game offense is arguably better than McDavid's because he's better off the cycle and is stronger on the puck / around the net.

Absolutely. Draisaitl can play fast or slow, it really doesn't matter to him. McDavid isn't physically developed enough to consistently overcome a lot of the things that Draisaitl can. As McDavid gets older and stronger he'll become much more consistent in that regard, but Draisaitl's already there at 21 which is very impressive. You won't find many players in today's NHL who have the skating, size and strength, and hockey IQ combo that Draisaitl has. He's a very intelligent bull with great puck skills.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Fair enough, Draisaitl's strength is probably better suited to playoff hockey, particularly against a team like the Ducks. However, if you were to count the scoring chances created by both players over the course of the playoffs I bet they would be pretty similar. I love Drai to death, I just felt the need to defend McDavid a bit since I think the stats are a little misleading.

You definitely have a case. McDavid has been better than his 9 points show, and has had simply dominant stretches in games where he looks on another level from everyone else on the ice. He just can't manufacture that every shift at this point against a big Ducks team in playoff hockey. He'll get there as he matures, but he's not quite there yet while Draisaitl is.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
every time McDavid has the puck with speed, he creates chaos if not another opportunity.

And he draws attention away from a lot of other very good options.

As a Ducks fan, the Oilers are a couple moves from being scary good, and they are showing great resilience, something we will see if the Ducks have weds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad