Connor McDavid Playoff Performance

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I can empathize with Oilers fans. Reminds me of the micromanaging of every game Crosby plays.

Doesn't score a point: "LOL best player in the world my ass! Invisible when his team needs him."

Scores a point in a loss: "His team still lost. He should have scored more"

Generates countless chances but doesn't get a point: "He was invisible. The boxscore says so"

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I can empathize with Oilers fans. Reminds me of the micromanaging of every game Crosby plays.

Doesn't score a point: "LOL best player in the world my ass! Invisible when his team needs him."

Scores a point in a loss: "His team still lost. He should have scored more"

Generates countless chances but doesn't get a point: "He was invisible. The boxscore says so"

Pretty much, the heir apparent is going through the same crap Sid did.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I think he has had a very satisfactory playoff in relation to his stature as the "Next One". As long as he didn't look completely lost out there, his first playoff experience would be gravy in terms of his development.

That being said, if the narrative was until a week ago was that he was great because the Oilers were winning, what is the narrative now that he has produced more but the Oilers are losing?

You're giving McDavid more credit for these playoffs than I am. I think he's played at the level of a solid 1C, but no more. If that's what he contributes for the rest of the series, the Oil will not advance.

I do agree that this is excellent for his development. He will kick himself watching the tapes of pests like Kesler getting the better of him out there. Next playoffs I think he will take it to another level.

This year though he is clearly behind several other forwards, who are all still playing.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
You're giving McDavid more credit for these playoffs than I am. I think he's played at the level of a solid 1C, but no more. If that's what he contributes for the rest of the series, the Oil will not advance.

I do agree that this is excellent for his development. He will kick himself watching the tapes of pests like Kesler getting the better of him out there. Next playoffs I think he will take it to another level.

This year though he is clearly behind several other forwards, who are all still playing.

I am really not trying to assess his performance given it's his first go around. He's doing pretty well but more importantly getting experience.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Get over yourself.

I don't get it?

My comment, I meant it was nice talking about the playoffs in general rather than focusing on McDavid. He has been the definition of average these playoffs and still we dissect everything he has done even though players on his own team are playing better.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
he seemed to have a shift in the 3rd where he got angry or something but whatever it was he decided to take over and essentially nobody could do anything on the opposition.

pretty insane shift.

Saw that too. That looked like a 'growth' moment for McDavid. This playoff trip is invaluable.

McFlash

Apr 8, 2017
I don't get it?

My comment, I meant it was nice talking about the playoffs in general rather than focusing on McDavid. He has been the definition of average these playoffs and still we dissect everything he has done even though players on his own team are playing better.

No one has played better then McDavid other then Draisaitl who has been on par and slightly better, try watching the Oilers sometimes instead of throwing blanket statements on hfboard.....check out McDavids point and goal totals in his playoff debut. Haters will always hate

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He's taking on the toughest assignments or he has the opponents shutdown line stapled to his hip.

The the talent below him strikes at the soft underbelly.

This is not a new thing for any team in the NHL playoffs.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You can play Mcdavid with a career 3rd/4th liner and an AHL player and teams will still put their best defensive units on him. That leaves Draisait and RNH's line with the easier assignments.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Well he's mad overrated and just poor in general but we've got this German kid named Leon Dresskull or something so it's all good.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Well he's mad overrated and just poor in general but we've got this German kid named Leon Dresskull or something so it's all good.

The thing with superstar players is they get better when the pressure is on. He had a good game but did all the little things necessary to be a good captain. Game 7's are where these guys either fold or show you what they are made of. Does not matter if you were quiet games 1 to 6 if you explode in the elimination game and the other team can't stop you.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
The thing with superstar players is they get better when the pressure is on. He had a good game but did all the little things necessary to be a good captain. Game 7's are where these guys either fold or show you what they are made of. Does not matter if you were quiet games 1 to 6 if you explode in the elimination game and the other team can't stop you.

You do realize that the serie could have been over far before game 7? What if a player in the 4th line get the winning goal in the 7th game, is he the best player in the world then, since he show up in the last game? No matter what happens in the the 7th game against anahiem, Edmonton best player in this 2 first rounds is Draisaitl and it is not close, McDavid have to do more than being better in the 7th game to change that.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
He's taking on the toughest assignments or he has the opponents shutdown line stapled to his hip.

Crosby does just fine in the playoffs with the opponent's top defensive unit on him.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

See Crosby / Malkin.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Crosby does just fine in the playoffs with the opponent's top defensive unit on him.

First playoff appearances
Players who made it in their 2nd season:
Sidney Crosby
5gp 3G 2a

Evgeni Malkin
4gp 0g 4a

Conner Mcdavid
12gp 5g 4a

Patrick Kane
16gp 9g 5a

Players making it in their 3rd NHL season:
Leon Draisaitl
12gp 6g 10a

Alex Ovechkin
7gp 4g 5a

Conner seems to be doing fine. No need to worry about him.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
You can play Mcdavid with a career 3rd/4th liner and an AHL player and teams will still put their best defensive units on him. That leaves Draisait and RNH's line with the easier assignments.

And we saw how that turned out tonight.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I know the reverse is always in question, but how much better does Drai make McDavid?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

It depends on where the talent is distributed. A #1 line consisting of the team's top offensive talent and has the offense run through usually has to produce for a team to win.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I know the reverse is always in question, but how much better does Drai make McDavid?

Chemistry is a big thing, but McDavid is good enough to where he'll still get his points. But he's been heavily shadowed all playoffs. Has to be tough for the guy. lol

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
First playoff appearances
Players who made it in their 2nd season:
Sidney Crosby
5gp 3G 2a

Evgeni Malkin
4gp 0g 4a

Conner Mcdavid
12gp 5g 4a

Patrick Kane
16gp 9g 5a

Players making it in their 3rd NHL season:
Leon Draisaitl
12gp 6g 10a

Alex Ovechkin
7gp 4g 5a

Conner seems to be doing fine. No need to worry about him.

why would this be an important stat? do you have any other qualifiers? How about only blondes too?

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
why would this be an important stat? do you have any other qualifiers? How about only blondes too?

Are you serious? Those are all highly touted players who people expect them to score and perform like themselves in the regular season. And this shows that people who want to ***** and whine about McDavid not scoring 2+ points a game can CLEARLY see that those top guys in Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, and Kane all had decent numbers too. McDavid is at 9 points in 12 games. That's not being invisible at all.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site

I'll just give you the stats, when McDavid was without Draisaitl, his line scored at about 3.4 goals per 60 minutes. When with Drasaitl, their line scored at about 3.6 goals per 60 minutes. Draisaitl's line scoring without McDavid was at about 2.3 goals per 60 minutes, but in Draisaitl's defence he's probably improved over the course of the year in terms of carrying a line himself.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Just a general observation. He's still passing up shots in good areas trying to set other guys up. Not mad about it, but it's definitely noticeable still. I know he will figure it out eventually, but some of the attempts he's made this round, passing to guys completely covered, he has costed himself some good scoring chances.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Oilers fans need not concern themselves with the opinions of people who don't watch enough games and critique McDavid based on the scoresheet.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
He has played fine.
Anybody that says he's been invisible hasn't watched the games. He's been very noticeable every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad