Connor McDavid: 150 Points Watch (32GP: 53 Points - 135.8 Pace (1.66 PPG))

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Giannis has not had even close to the dominance throughout his career as McDavid has had. McDavid was an absolute stud from day one. Many wouldn't even put Curry in their top 3 players at the moment. Mookie and Trout are great, but it's hard to compare sport to sport.
More like McDavid hasn’t come close
To Giannis’s career

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton

As much as I love McDavid he may have the least “star power” for someone at his tier I’ve seen in a while in regards to being a pop culture entity beyond “that person really good at _____”

The guy seems to have zero interest whatsoever in being a “celebrity” which is fine, but when it comes to these discussions about popularity it kinda Tanks his popularity.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
As much as I love McDavid he may have the least “star power” for someone at his tier I’ve seen in a while in regards to being a pop culture entity beyond “that person really good at _____”

The guy seems to have zero interest whatsoever in being a “celebrity” which is fine, but when it comes to these discussions about popularity it kinda Tanks his popularity.
Outside of Edmonton and hockey circles across Canada, no one knows who he is

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
For me its the unanimity the sets McDavid apart. You ask 99%+ of hockey fans who the best player is right now- they'll say McDavid.

For baseball, basketball, and football you don't have nearly such a consensus.

100% agreed.

Guy is unreal, his breakaway speed is unrivaled. He is like Viktor Stalberg if Stalberg ever happened to be good.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
2 MVPs, DPOY, a Championship along with a finals MVP. In terms of PER, he had one of the best statistical seasons of all time. Giannis has been unbelievable. Now I understand what you’re saying because you can still argue for LeBron or Durant, whereas nobody challenges McDavid in the NHL. But in terms of accolades, Giannis has him
Not to mention the much deeper talent pool in basketball. Let's be honest. Hockey Is a rich man's sport to be damn well frank. How many crosbys and mcdavids are out there right now but just never had the financial opportunities to pursue hockey in a professional sense?

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
Not to mention the much deeper talent pool in basketball. Let's be honest. Hockey Is a rich man's sport to be damn well frank. How many crosbys and mcdavids are out there right now but just never had the financial opportunities to pursue hockey in a professional sense?
Could you imagine a young Lebron growing up playing hockey instead? Or Bo Jackson

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Yeah and those same people said Calgary would finish dead last, so we can take them all with a grain of salt.

I'm not saying they don't produce, they do, obviously. We all know this. I'm just saying that the quality of competition has been pretty easy on the Oilers to start the year.

That and it stands to reason that they are feasting on the PP against weaker competition. Unless you think they will keep up the near 50% conversion rate??

It will get harder as the season wears on.

This isn't revolutionary thinking........
I don't really buy this though, "It will get harder as the season wears on" is the same thing said every year. Last year McDavid finished the season with 43 points in 21 games, if you go closer to the end of the season he had 36 points in 14 games. That's 2.05PPG over 21 and 2.57PPG over the last 13. That was with teams "tightening" up for the playoffs.

His first 5 games against MTL last year, 2 points, objectively he got shutdown. His next 4, he had 10, two of those games were a couple weeks before the playoffs started. Pretty much every year he actually starts to score more near the end of the season, presumably because teams have been ground down by the schedule.

They feast on the PP against everyone. They have faced two top 10 PKs this year - CGY (#10) and SEA (#7), with ANA being 15th.
% VS opponent:
ANA - 33% PP
SEA - 33% PP
CGY - 50% PP - objectively according to the standings and your own opinion, this is the best team we have faced this year and they got clowned by our powerplay.

It's not revolutionary thinking because people say it every year, and every year McDavid lights it up more at the end of the season, and the powerplay stays near 30% despite claims it will regress or cool off. Will it stay above 40%? Extremely doubtful, but your kidding yourself if you think this isn't the far and away best powerplay in the league, which only scores because of "weak competition".

And Seattle was predicted to finish top 2 because of their elite shutdown defense according to *some* advance stats folks. ;)
True. Defense is well and good, but I couldn't exactly see them becoming the next NYI. In the current NHL, at some point you need to be able to score.

Reactions: Frosty415

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

For a hockey player to become famous like that, he has to either break all-time records (i.e. bringing down Gretzky), date a famous celebrity to form a power couple (lame but true lol), or develop opinions that stand out (i.e. not shying away from commenting on political/social issues).

Another way can be to have an all-time performance in the Olympics. Unfortunately, he plays for Canada, so he can't leverage playing for the "underdog" and taking them to a miracle win. Those types of performances always elevate you around the world.

Let's be honest, McDavid is more of a reserved guy, so most of that's not happening. He doesn't want to be in the public eye.

McDavid's performances are legendary but he's also not at a level where he can reasonably chase Gretzky. Compare that to Lebron who has always remained within touching distance of Jordan's resume. Even if he never gets there, his brand is set for life.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
For a hockey player to become famous like that, he has to either break all-time records (i.e. bringing down Gretzky), date a famous celebrity to form a power couple (lame but true lol), or develop opinions that stand out (i.e. not shying away from commenting on political/social issues).

Another way can be to have an all-time performance in the Olympics. Unfortunately, he plays for Canada, so he can't leverage playing for the "underdog" and taking them to a miracle win. Those types of performances always elevate you around the world.

Let's be honest, McDavid is more of a reserved guy, so most of that's not happening. He doesn't want to be in the public eye.

McDavid's performances are legendary but he's also not at a level where he can reasonably chase Gretzky. Compare that to Lebron who has always remained within touching distance of Jordan's resume. Even if he never gets there, his brand is set for life.
I also think that if McDavid played for a team in LA or NY, he'd be more well known. Edmonton may be a major hockey market, but it's not a major beacon of news/media generally.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I don't really buy this though, "It will get harder as the season wears on" is the same thing said every year. Last year McDavid finished the season with 43 points in 21 games, if you go closer to the end of the season he had 36 points in 14 games. That's 2.05PPG over 21 and 2.57PPG over the last 13. That was with teams "tightening" up for the playoffs.

His first 5 games against MTL last year, 2 points, objectively he got shutdown. His next 4, he had 10, two of those games were a couple weeks before the playoffs started. Pretty much every year he actually starts to score more near the end of the season, presumably because teams have been ground down by the schedule.

They feast on the PP against everyone. They have faced two top 10 PKs this year - CGY (#10) and SEA (#7), with ANA being 15th.
% VS opponent:
ANA - 33% PP
SEA - 33% PP
CGY - 50% PP - objectively according to the standings and your own opinion, this is the best team we have faced this year and they got clowned by our powerplay.

It's not revolutionary thinking because people say it every year, and every year McDavid lights it up more at the end of the season, and the powerplay stays near 30% despite claims it will regress or cool off. Will it stay above 40%? Extremely doubtful, but your kidding yourself if you think this isn't the far and away best powerplay in the league, which only scores because of "weak competition".

True. Defense is well and good, but I couldn't exactly see them becoming the next NYI. In the current NHL, at some point you need to be able to score.

Oh no, it's the best powerplay in the league, it has been for a while. But it's not 50% good, and you know it.

Reactions: North Cole

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto

This post speaks to me. I feel better now. Sorry you boys and girls never had the opportunity to see me crack 100 goals in a season. Truly. I'm sorry I was poor ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad