Congratulations! YOU Have Been Hired As GM of the LA Kings. Post Your Offseason Plan & Lineup.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Full rebuild focus on future only while getting some juicy draft picks

Kopitar and Doughty press box until their opinion of a trade changes

Fiala traded for 1st
Spence traded
Lizotte removed
Lewis runs the hot dog stand

Fagemo - Byfield - Kempe
Moore -Turcotte - Kaliev
Ziemer - Danauld - Jamsen
Chromiac - Helenius - Laferriere

Gavrikov - Clarke
Anderson - Mania
Moverare - Roy

Portillo
Kuemper

DAkings20

Kings can't score
Dec 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
IMG_0399.gif

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
So the goal is to compete for the playoffs- I know I know, but until Kopitar and Doughty retire this is how it's gonna be. Kopitar and Doughty need to play with the best players. I know I know! This is just the way it goes when you pay $10M+ to one player.

Bring in Chychrun to play with Doughty- his best partner since Muzzin. Everyone on LD gets shifted down, that makes Englund #7 or in the AHL.

Chychrun - Doughty
Anderson - Clarke
Gavrikov - Spence

I put Zadorov as Plan B, but he's not a top pair. Could he be good enough to play top 4? We already have Gavrikov as an overpaid LD who won't be playing on the top pair. It's too bad Gavrikov has a NTC and it's lucky for him PLD had the stink spotlight all to himself. At least we'll know there will be money to re-sign Chychrun.

Toffoli. Doesn't cost any assets to acquire, and is a known quantity. Beware of a NTC.

Kempe - Kopitar - Thomas
Fiala - Byfield - Toffoli
Moore - Danault - Lafferiere
XXX - Turcotte - XXX

These lines are rough clay and Hiller will keep changing it up. I don't care who they get to play on the 4th line, as long as they are the right players. The right players will be able to handle more than 4 minutes a night. I know who I don't want on the 4th line. Lizotte. Grundstrom. Kaliyev. Fagemo.

Reactions: johnjm22

OldGreatWestern

Aug 27, 2008
Tarasenko - Kopitar - Kempe
Fiala - Byfield - Stamkos
Moore - Danault - Fagemo
Turcotte - Thomas - Laferriere
Lee

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Englund - Spence
Moverare

Kuemper
Rittich

Reactions: lumbergh

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
So the goal is to compete for the playoffs- I know I know, but until Kopitar and Doughty retire this is how it's gonna be. Kopitar and Doughty need to play with the best players. I know I know! This is just the way it goes when you pay $10M+ to one player.

Bring in Chychrun to play with Doughty- his best partner since Muzzin. Everyone on LD gets shifted down, that makes Englund #7 or in the AHL.

Chychrun - Doughty
Anderson - Clarke
Gavrikov - Spence

I put Zadorov as Plan B, but he's not a top pair. Could he be good enough to play top 4? We already have Gavrikov as an overpaid LD who won't be playing on the top pair. It's too bad Gavrikov has a NTC and it's lucky for him PLD had the stink spotlight all to himself. At least we'll know there will be money to re-sign Chychrun.

Toffoli. Doesn't cost any assets to acquire, and is a known quantity. Beware of a NTC.

Kempe - Kopitar - Thomas
Moore - Danault - Lafferiere
XXX - Turcotte - XXX

These lines are rough clay and Hiller will keep changing it up. I don't care who they get to play on the 4th line, as long as they are the right players. The right players will be able to handle more than 4 minutes a night. I know who I don't want on the 4th line. Lizotte. Grundstrom. Kaliyev. Fagemo.
I like that defense. On paper its very balanced. Not physical enough but would be very efficient in all other facets of the game.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Step 1: Sign QB to a 5-7 year deal

Step 2: make it known we're open for business and all the vets are available except for Kempe & Anderson -- Gavi (if you can convince him), Moore, Fiala, Danault and even DD (if he wants it). Utilize cap space as a tool to get best returns back in the form of draft picks and high level prospects ready to potentially win a roster spot in TC. I'd trade two of these vet guys (3 if great deals). If you don't get the return we want, hold off until TDL.

Step 3: if any cap space left over, utilize by taking on from a cap trouble team -- picks/prospects.

Step 4: supplement the youth on roster with 2-3 big, physical, punishing guys who will help set the tone for the youth.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Tarasenko - Kopitar - Kempe
Fiala - Byfield - Stamkos
Moore - Danault - Fagemo
Turcotte - Thomas - Laferriere
Lee

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Englund - Spence
Moverare

Kuemper
Rittich
Don't hate it. Stamkos is getting pretty long in the tooth tho, didn't realize he was 34.

OldGreatWestern

Aug 27, 2008
Don't hate it. Stamkos is getting pretty long in the tooth tho, didn't realize he was 34.
Yeah but he still put up 40 goals and 81 points last year.
Try to get him on a 2 year deal at 7M per year just like Kopitar.
I think they need to fill out this forward lineup with UFA's because they shouldn't be giving up any futures to acquire anyone. Just got to ride this Kopitar/Doughty era out while staying competitive and trying to restock the cupboards with youth.
That's why I like idea of trying to fill out those two forward spots with a few goal scoring vets who you can put on a short contracts then wash your hands of in a few years.
And then in 26-27 when Kopitar and these guy's contracts come off books they can go McDavid hunting.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
My second crack at this because it's fun:
  • Trade Arthur Kaliyev to Nashville for Jeremy Lauzon +2M
  • Sign Quinton Byfield 4.5M x 2
  • Sign Jordan Spence 2.75M x 3
  • Sign Samuel Fagemo 850k x 1
  • Sign Jake Debrusk 5.5M x 4
  • Sign Tyler Toffoli 4.75M x 3
  • Sign Matt Martin 1.25M x 1
2 Million Dollars in Cap Space left

Debrusk - Kopitar - Kempe
Moore - Danault - Laferriere
Martin - Turcotte - Thomas
*Fagemo

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Spence
Lauzon - Clarke
*Englund

Kuemper
Rittich

CarlSneep

Feb 26, 2023
I'm hired to compete but I'm secretly going to try to rebuild while remaining somewhat competitive, a la Dean when he got hired. Here's what I'd do:

-Trade Drew to an Eastern Canadian team (e.g., to Toronto for Marner or to Ottawa for Chabot) in an attempt to get a younger piece or two that might still be good when we're competitive again (AKA pulling a Visnovsky)

-Trade Kempe for a good prospect or a few picks in the next 2 drafts (AKA pulling a Cammalleri) since he's not a guy you win with anyway

-Sign Byfield to a bridge deal and re-sign Roy

-Sign 2-3 FAs to shorter-term deals with the idea that I'm going to trade them at the deadline (e.g., Toffoli, Gostibehere)

-Trade Kaliyev for an equivalent forward like Bobby Brink or Philip Tomasino, if only because I feel bad for him

Fiala-Byfield-Perron
Moore-Kopitar-Toffoli
Brink/Tomasino/Guy I Traded Kempe For-Danault-Laferriere
Lizotte-Turcotte-Thomas
Matt Martin or someone (who cares)

Chabot-Roy
Gavrikov-Clarke
Anderson-Spence
Englund

Kuemper
Rittich

This team hovers around .500 for most of the year and then I pull the plug and trade a few of the vets at the deadline and then fly to Colorado and tell Anschutz that Luc is a moron and he should be fired. He fires me instead and then I am finally released from following this dumb team.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Feb 3, 2007
I don't know about the Moneyball stuff, but we need Byfield to be 1C, Moore to be 1W, and Spence-Clarke to be the top D pair. That's how we move.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
trying to be realistic, what's the dance? if you bridge QB for $5M, (please god) don't overpay roy, QO kaliyev, spence and fagemo and have akil centering the 4th line, you're left with an open winger slot and extras, and approx $5-7M cap space? i feel you have to fully integrate or trade the RFAs now and a free agent winger is doable still

kempe-kopitar-FA winger
moore-danault-fiala
turc-QB-kaliyev
fagemo-thomas-laf

anderson-doughty
gavrikov-roy
englund-clarke
spence

kuemper-rittich

i think you can afford someone like guentzel/necas or bertuzzi, carolina isn't gonna be able to sign all their guys i don't think so there's a roster to watch probably. maybe even just re-sign arvidsson for a season or two to follow QB's bridge unless RV wants more years. this lets you give QB his own line to champion and sort out being an NHL center with a whole season of leeway

all that said, this is pretty stale and isn't really any sort of improvement over last season unless we're talking addition by subtraction in PLD, but you're still a bit hamstrung with kopi and doughty on the books. just another season of "run it back" though hopefully with a less shitty system. tbh i'm kinda writing this under the assumption that next year this team is in the black hole and then "my" replacement can do some real work next offseason

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Full rebuild focus on future only while getting some juicy draft picks

Kopitar and Doughty press box until their opinion of a trade changes

Fiala traded for 1st
Spence traded
Lizotte removed
Lewis runs the hot dog stand

Fagemo - Byfield - Kempe
Moore -Turcotte - Kaliev
Ziemer - Danauld - Jamsen
Chromiac - Helenius - Laferriere

Gavrikov - Clarke
Anderson - Mania
Moverare - Roy

Portillo
Kuemper
I love how batshit crazy this is. Also, you're fired.

Step 1: Sign QB to a 5-7 year deal

Step 2: make it known we're open for business and all the vets are available except for Kempe & Anderson -- Gavi (if you can convince him), Moore, Fiala, Danault and even DD (if he wants it). Utilize cap space as a tool to get best returns back in the form of draft picks and high level prospects ready to potentially win a roster spot in TC. I'd trade two of these vet guys (3 if great deals). If you don't get the return we want, hold off until TDL.

Step 3: if any cap space left over, utilize by taking on from a cap trouble team -- picks/prospects.

Step 4: supplement the youth on roster with 2-3 big, physical, punishing guys who will help set the tone for the youth.
You're fired as well.

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
As much as I would love to just tear it down and rebuild Blake signing Kopitar and the cupboard being bare of top end talent turns this into a 3 year play as well as you can and dismantle slowly for draft picks for a full rebuild in 3 years.

CURRENT ROSTER:

MARCHESSAULT-Kopitar-Fagemo 1-3-1​

Fiala-Byfield-Kempe wide open
Moore-Danault-Laferriere 1-3-1
Turcotte-STEPHENSON-Thomas wide open

SKJEI-Doughty Doughty is the defensive guy​

Gavrikov-Clarke
Anderson-Spence
Englund

Kuemper
Rittich

Provorov 2.025M
Richards 700K
Carryover Bonuses: 1.85M

CAP SPACE: 1.65M

RFAs:
Byfield- sign 3 years 4.8 million
Grundstrom- trade for 5th rounder or whatever
Kaliyev-trade for 2025 pics
Lizotte- bye
Spence-2 years 2 million
Fagemo-2 years 1 million
Portillo-3 years 1 million

UFAs:
Arvidsson-see ya later
Lewis-have fun in Utah
Roy-see ya later
Talbot- bye
Copley-bye

MARCHESSAULT 3 years 6 million per​

SKJEI 3 years 6 million​

STEPHENSON 2 years 3 million​

I find a coach that will play a highly structured game that can pivot between full pressure and counter striking. If things are not working you start selling off parts and go full rebuild. This is a transitional job and any GM hired is going to pay the price for Blake and Lucs full dismantling of organizational culture and stability. I would love to be the hatchet man that collected assets to have Dean Lombardi come back and get another crack at it.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
trying to be realistic, what's the dance? if you bridge QB for $5M, (please god) don't overpay roy, QO kaliyev, spence and fagemo and have akil centering the 4th line, you're left with an open winger slot and extras, and approx $5-7M cap space? i feel you have to fully integrate or trade the RFAs now and a free agent winger is doable still

kempe-kopitar-FA winger
moore-danault-fiala
turc-QB-kaliyev
fagemo-thomas-laf

anderson-doughty
gavrikov-roy
englund-clarke
spence

kuemper-rittich

i think you can afford someone like guentzel/necas or bertuzzi, carolina isn't gonna be able to sign all their guys i don't think so there's a roster to watch probably. maybe even just re-sign arvidsson for a season or two to follow QB's bridge unless RV wants more years. this lets you give QB his own line to champion and sort out being an NHL center with a whole season of leeway

all that said, this is pretty stale and isn't really any sort of improvement over last season unless we're talking addition by subtraction in PLD, but you're still a bit hamstrung with kopi and doughty on the books. just another season of "run it back" though hopefully with a less shitty system. tbh i'm kinda writing this under the assumption that next year this team is in the black hole and then "my" replacement can do some real work next offseason
I'm pretty convinced they're not re-signing Roy. If they were it probably would have already happened, and there's been almost no smoke at all.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I'm pretty convinced they're not re-signing Roy. If they were it probably would have already happened, and there's been almost no smoke at all.
it's the prudent choice to let him go in my opinion, but yknow, it's blake

would open up a full-time slot for spence (or more likely) allow blake to do something stupid with kaliyev for chychrun

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
In a universe where Blake didn't make the PLD trade, our situation would look like this:

Fiala-XXXX-Kempe
Iafallo-Kopitar-Vilardi
Moore-Danault-Laferriere
Turcotte-Thomas-XXXX
Kupari

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Clarke
XXXX-XXXX
Englund

XXXX
Rittich

Provorov 2.025M
Richards 700K
Carryover Bonuses: 1.85M

CAP SPACE: 18.6M

That's a pretty deep roster, with a shit ton of cap space to work with. Plus we'd have the 37th OA pick this upcoming draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad