Value of: Columbus is selling

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Theres no possibly, im right. KK is about to turn 22 next year and has 81 points to his name in his career, and needs a huge QO himself without anywhere near the production. If youre going to give someone a huge QO based on potential, you give it to the guy you know can be a 30-40 goal scorer in the league, not the guy who might not be anything more than a 3C ever. He's steadily improving from a very terrible player, to a average at best. That doesn't return one of the better young goal scorers in the league who has almost twice as many goals as KK as total points, and will be still only 24 at the start of the year. Laine at his worst, still brings better numbers than KK. thats not even up for debate.

KK needs to be around a PPG player next year to be worth Laine based on his career to date.

Since Laine got to Columbus his even strength ppg is 0.38, the last two seasons Kotkaniemi even strength ppg is 0.34. His even strength goals are at 0.18 while Kotkaniemi is 0.15. Kotkaniemi has a better g/60 and p/60 at 5v5 over that period as well. He hits much more, more blocks and takeaways.

Laine has the better history but it's been a couple of seasons since we've seen that type of player. Just like there's no quarantee Kotkaniemi can be more than a very good 3C there's also no guarantee that Laine will go back to being a 40 goal scorer. 8M for a 30g 30a 60p one dimensional winger isn't great. 6M for a 20g 20a 40p two way center isn't either. Depending on my team needs but I would prefer the guy who's the better all around one who's more a team player and fit.

Reactions: hn777

KniespassZegras

Jan 2, 2022
Since Laine got to Columbus his even strength ppg is 0.38, the last two seasons Kotkaniemi even strength ppg is 0.34. His even strength goals are at 0.18 while Kotkaniemi is 0.15. Kotkaniemi has a better g/60 and p/60 at 5v5 over that period as well. He hits much more, more blocks and takeaways.

Laine has the better history but it's been a couple of seasons since we've seen that type of player. Just like there's no quarantee Kotkaniemi can be more than a very good 3C there's also no guarantee that Laine will go back to being a 40 goal scorer. 8M for a 30g 30a 60p one dimensional winger isn't great. 6M for a 20g 20a 40p two way center isn't either. Depending on my team needs but I would prefer the guy who's the better all around one who's more a team player and fit.

But Laine didnt start playing hockey in Columbus, now did he? Hockey didnt start 2 years ago now did it?

Recency bias only holds true when both players have always been bad, not when one has shown they can have an elite role in the leauge and the other will still be trying to show they can play a top 6 role even at the smallest margins. right now, KK has not and will likely never be more than a way over paid 3C, Laine can still be a 30-40 goal scorer. thats a fact. KK hasnt ever been a 20-20-40 player, he's a 30 point guy, at his best and will likely regress as he gets older as well, to believe otherwise is totally delusional.

KK is worth maybe a toss in 3rd, Laine still has a ton of value for what he's already done.

we flat out have to stop pretending KK can play a significant role in the league. Times up on his development.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
But Laine didnt start playing hockey in Columbus, now did he? Hockey didnt start 2 years ago now did it?

Recency bias only holds true when both players have always been bad, not when one has shown they can have an elite role in the leauge and the other will still be trying to show they can play a top 6 role even at the smallest margins. right now, KK has not and will likely never be more than a way over paid 3C, Laine can still be a 30-40 goal scorer. thats a fact. KK hasnt ever been a 20-20-40 player, he's a 30 point guy, at his best and will likely regress as he gets older as well, to believe otherwise is totally delusional.

KK is worth maybe a toss in 3rd, Laine still has a ton of value for what he's already done.

we flat out have to stop pretending KK can play a significant role in the league. Times up on his development.

I love how Laine can still be a 30-40 goal scorer is fact yet Kotkaniemi is at best a 30 point guy who's going to regress. Laine hasn't hit 30 goals in 4 seasons. Kotkaniemi, while being a couple years younger, is finished developing while Laine still has room to grow? That's funny because it seems Laine is the one who stopped developing early and has regressed as he's aged as his production hasn't improved from his early years.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I get the feeling I see Korpi differently than many non-CBJ fans in this thread. While not flashy, I think Korpi has the ability to be a quality starting goalie in this league. The problem is he was stuck behind Vezina Bob early in his career and now larger than life Mr Personality Elvis who mesmerizes and dazzles fans with his crazy athleticism.

Korpi has shown...like with other goalies...that when he is the #1 Goalie and getting regular starts he is more than capable and gives his team a chance to win most nights. Last season was less than ideal with the two goalies splitting duties and this season has been even worse for Korpi and it seems he always gets the short end of the stick.

Elvis gets Philly with the CBJ coming off a four day break while the Flyers had lost nine in a row and playing their third game in four nights. Korpi then gets the next game the very next night so a back to back for the team where the CBJ had to travel and it's against the Pens who had won something like 14 of their last 16. Shocker Elvis won his game while Korpi did not.

Elvis gets Arizona and Seattle at home to start the season and Korpi gets the next game on the road vs the improved Red Wings. Despite stopping 41 of 43 shots in the loss, Elvis gets the next game vs the struggling Islanders who are in the early stages of a month long road trip and then Korpi gets the practically unbeatable Canes.

Its easy to just look at his stats and say "he's not good" but I think there is more to his story.

I am not suggesting the CBJ or Lars have it in for Korpi but it does seem like the schedule has not played out in his favor. I don't think Korpi would ever complain about it in the media but I am sure he is looking forward to landing someplace where he gets the opportunity to prove he can start 60+ quality games in a season. I suspect GMs and scouts view Korpi differently than the average fan.

Reactions: Dumais

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Sean Monahan, Conner Zary, and 2022 1st Rd pick for Patrick Laine?
Maybe. I admit to hesitating mostly because I generally stop reading as soon as I see the name Sean Monahan, but in this case I managed to notice most of the rest of the post before I turned away. :D

* * *​
this is getting confusing then because apparently they're in the Chychrun auction....

It's only confusing in this context if you're locked into a false dichotomy. Chychrun's situation and age are such that he's both a "now" and a "future". Arizona doesn't see their competitive timetable as fitting his situation, so they want assets that are just "future" - and Columbus can hypothetically provide that.

It's just a question of whether or not Kekalainen thinks a focus on multiple high quality LD would be a useful ace-in-the-hole for the roster he's putting together.

KniespassZegras

Jan 2, 2022
I love how Laine can still be a 30-40 goal scorer is fact yet Kotkaniemi is at best a 30 point guy who's going to regress. Laine hasn't hit 30 goals in 4 seasons. Kotkaniemi, while being a couple years younger, is finished developing while Laine still has room to grow? That's funny because it seems Laine is the one who stopped developing early and has regressed as he's aged as his production hasn't improved from his early years.

and yet KK has accomplished absolutley nothing whatsoever in his career. Cant live off potential forever. im sorry that one of your favorite players is one of the worst players in the league. by the way Laine hit 30 goals 2 seasons before this, not 4. Its weird how upset you are by the truth, yup, KK is at best a 30 point guy whos going to regress because he's been in the NHL for 4 years now and has never,ever shown he can be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad