News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part VI

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So, do we know why AJ is going to Connecticut?
Reading between the lines between this:

PrZjebj.png

and this:

I'd guess that he's moving because he met a new woman who lives there

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Surprised that AJ even found a wife and surprised that AJ is the one leaving her. Those opportunities don't come around often for...bigger-boned individuals...

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
Hopefully they just grew apart and he didn’t cheat on her. Somehow I would have even less respect for him

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Why do people care about AJ so much? Dude had very little real insights on the Avs, just fell into the job. Then his personal life intervened and he's moved on and said so. There is always someone there willing to take on that job so why not just focus on the next guy or gal? Chances are they will be as knowledgeable or better than him unless you really just like guys who talk a lot and express completely unfounded opinions on something because they like the sound of their voice.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Why do people care about AJ so much? Dude had very little real insights on the Avs, just fell into the job. Then his personal life intervened and he's moved on and said so. There is always someone there willing to take on that job so why not just focus on the next guy or gal? Chances are they will be as knowledgeable or better than him unless you really just like guys who talk a lot and express completely unfounded opinions on something because they like the sound of their voice.
Agreed, I don’t know why so many on here shit on him constantly. Just mute him on social media, it’s not that hard. And he’s leaving the state and taking on a diminished role at DNVR. His haters should be more than okay with this.

I’ll give him props for being open and honest about his personal/professional life and taking steps to hopefully improve things for all people involved. Beyond that it’s really none of my business.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
My primary beefs with AJ are pretending to be an authority on player/prospect evaluation and that combined with some extreme homer views on the team and players. It lead to some rather wild stuff. Along with that (and my biggest issue), there was a general lack of professionalism. Drunk on podcasts, lashing out on social media, etc. I understand that covering teams today in the media is different. Blog sites or more narrowly focused area sites have to engage the fans differently. That doesn't mean getting trashed on a podcast and ranting about how great Newhook and Jost are going to be. I'm obviously hyperbolic on that statement, but I don't it it as real journalism around the team. Maybe the real issue is my standards and having them tilted that way vs a site this clearly designed to bring in homer traffic (spoiler, it is).

I do wish AJ the best. Hopefully this move is positive for him and he can take his life in a direction that fits what he wants out of his life.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
My primary beefs with AJ are pretending to be an authority on player/prospect evaluation and that combined with some extreme homer views on the team and players. It lead to some rather wild stuff. Along with that (and my biggest issue), there was a general lack of professionalism. Drunk on podcasts, lashing out on social media, etc. I understand that covering teams today in the media is different. Blog sites or more narrowly focused area sites have to engage the fans differently. That doesn't mean getting trashed on a podcast and ranting about how great Newhook and Jost are going to be. I'm obviously hyperbolic on that statement, but I don't it it as real journalism around the team. Maybe the real issue is my standards and having them tilted that way vs a site this clearly designed to bring in homer traffic (spoiler, it is).

I do wish AJ the best. Hopefully this move is positive for him and he can take his life in a direction that fits what he wants out of his life.
It's sometimes refreshing to go back and watch a very early episode of SportsCenter from when ESPN first launched. You could occasionally catch glimpses of pizza boxes in the background. They mostly maintained a dressed down style, they wore sportscoats but not full-on suits. Usually, dockers and a button-down shirt or polo with a sportscoat, but nobody was wearing full on suits like they do today.

I'd like to see that old-style ESPN dress code be the low bar for sports journalism. I'd also like to see being sober when leading a journalistic endeavor become mandatory.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It's sometimes refreshing to go back and watch a very early episode of SportsCenter from when ESPN first launched. You could occasionally catch glimpses of pizza boxes in the background. They mostly maintained a dressed down style, they wore sportscoats but not full-on suits. Usually, dockers and a button-down shirt or polo with a sportscoat, but nobody was wearing full on suits like they do today.

I'd like to see that old-style ESPN dress code be the low bar for sports journalism. I'd also like to see being sober when leading a journalistic endeavor become mandatory.
I don’t mind a more casual atmosphere and neat t shirts (for sale)… just if you want to be a news place, act the part. If you just want to be fan service, don’t pretend to have journalism. That middle ground and being on both sides of the fence is what I just don’t like.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I don’t mind a more casual atmosphere and neat t shirts (for sale)… just if you want to be a news place, act the part. If you just want to be fan service, don’t pretend to have journalism. That middle ground and being on both sides of the fence is what I just don’t like.
It was just extremely difficult for me to take them seriously when they dressed so sloppily. I liked Meghan (I think that's her name) but she always seemed like she was in a bit of a shell and not really comfortable with the guys in that setting. At least that's the vibe I got. Now that I think about it, their podcasts didn't seem particularly well planned out in advance. It has much more of a group of folks shooting the bull for however long they go for, rather than really planning the podcast to make a certain point.

Anyways, it's all personal tastes. There are plenty that love DNVR and while it's not my cup of tea, I'm happy that their fans have an outfit that is giving them the content they want.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
It was just extremely difficult for me to take them seriously when they dressed so sloppily. I liked Meghan (I think that's her name) but she always seemed like she was in a bit of a shell and not really comfortable with the guys in that setting. At least that's the vibe I got. Now that I think about it, their podcasts didn't seem particularly well planned out in advance. It has much more of a group of folks shooting the bull for however long they go for, rather than really planning the podcast to make a certain point.

Anyways, it's all personal tastes. There are plenty that love DNVR and while it's not my cup of tea, I'm happy that their fans have an outfit that is giving them the content they want.
Meghan was probably shocked at the guy's behavior at first and it took time to overcome it. I have a buddy who works at a local sports radio station in production, not going to name names. These guys are something else, my buddy says he won't tell his wife half the shit that goes on because she'd probably tell him to quit. One guy has a stripper on speed dial and she comes out to entertain all the guys especially after this guy wins a big bet. Another has enjoyed the company of random women at local bars in the restrooms or his car after they finished live broadcasts, groupies for guys on radio are still a thing. Another has a wife and kid but also seems to have an early 20s side chick my buddy knows well because she comes by the studio, yet he's met his wife just once at a holiday gathering.

None of this stuff probably surprises anyone, but I'm guessing the younger females working with them aren't too fond of it all. Probably a mix of some level of disgust but also a fear of people thinking of guilt by association for them. And for the guys who get out of it, probably they just had their fill of it and want to get away from it.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I agree the podcast took a major hit when that bar opened. Thing is, I haven't really listened to a ton of the Nuggets or Rockies DNVR pods, but I'm fairly confident those don't devolve into debauchery. The hockey guys do indeed need to clean up their act. Maybe with this change, they will.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Maybe I missed some stuff but I honestly never heard him pretend to be "an authority" on prospects, or heard him drunk on the podcast (that's Rudo) or even lashing out on social media.

The issues were always the immature bullshit when the Avs are winning, he gets overexcited and enters in some kind of "we are the best and everyone else can suck my dick" mode. That's the very despicable part of him.

He also tends to present his opinions on players as facts but I can live with that.

I agree the podcast took a major hit when that bar opened.
That drop in quality is 80% on drunk Rudo.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
I'm 63, and before I became a lawyer, I spent a few years as journalist. News, not sports. I got blasted on the CU Buffs board when I suggested that the Deion Sanders propagandists running the DNVR CU pod would be taken a lot more seriously if they dressed like professionals once in a while.

Interviewing a league official? Try wearing pants... and a shirt with a collar on it. Going on YouTube? May want to dump the effing cargo shorts and the hoodie.

I got all the "OK boomer" and "Old Man Yells at Clouds" reactions, but it's just hard to take these people seriously as media members when they dress like a bunch of college kids recovering from a hangover. I think Rudo and AJ do (did) a good job but they look like slobs in front of the camera.

Want to be treated like a professional? Try dressing like one. Just a little.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm 63, and before I became a lawyer, I spent a few years as journalist. News, not sports. I got blasted on the CU Buffs board when I suggested that the Deion Sanders propagandists running the DNVR CU pod would be taken a lot more seriously if they dressed like professionals once in a while.

Interviewing a league official? Try wearing pants... and a shirt with a collar on it. Going on YouTube? May want to dump the effing cargo shorts and the hoodie.

I got all the "OK boomer" and "Old Man Yells at Clouds" reactions, but it's just hard to take these people seriously as media members when they dress like a bunch of college kids recovering from a hangover. I think Rudo and AJ do (did) a good job but the look like slobs in front of the camera.

Want to be treated like a professional? Try dressing like one. Just a little.
OK boomer

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Oh. Ian hasn't been on the podcast for a couple of weeks. Too bad for that, he's been kind of like Jeff Marek, very good at hosting the other person on the podcast.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

More teams should hire people from the media to deal with the media stuff. They know what the fans/media want to hear.

Habs hired one a couple of years ago and it's been great. Glad to see the Sens doing the same.
Doesn't matter. The team puts out and lets out whatever information they want to let out.

Even if the Avs employed Pierre LeBrun, the fans would only get what the Avs give them.

Reactions: tigervixxxen

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
DGB had another pretty cool time wasting article covering lists of players who have classic old school names that are becoming more rare. Think players named actually named Bob, Joe, Gord, Al, ect..

Of course I had to check out how many people Forsberg dragged with him to put Peter on the map. Turns out Foppa's biggest competition came from Stastny who was runner up. Other stars included Peter McNab. And the don't forget list had: Worrell, Holand and Budaj as the last three. Basically of the 14 Peters listed, 6 are connected to the Avs (5 Avs players, 1 Nordique (Stastny) and our beloved Maxy.
The GOAT: I think we have to go with Hart winner Peter Forsberg, although 1980s star Peter Stastny isn’t far back.​
Other stars: Peter Bondra scored 500 goals. Peter McNab topped 800 points. Peter Zezel won every single faceoff he ever took. Peter Sidorkiewicz was an All-Star in a season where he had a record of 8-46-3. And Peter Taglianetti once tried to defend his country’s honor by bodyslamming a 500-pound wrestler on the deck of the USS Intrepid. (He failed.)​
And don’t forget: Schaefer, Ihnacak, Popovic, Douris, Worrell, Holland and Budaj.​
Remember Some Guys: Looking back at some famous first names in NHL History

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
DGB had another pretty cool time wasting article covering lists of players who have classic old school names that are becoming more rare. Think players named actually named Bob, Joe, Gord, Al, ect..

Of course I had to check out how many people Forsberg dragged with him to put Peter on the map. Turns out Foppa's biggest competition came from Stastny who was runner up. Other stars included Peter McNab. And the don't forget list had: Worrell, Holand and Budaj as the last three. Basically of the 14 Peters listed, 6 are connected to the Avs (5 Avs players, 1 Nordique (Stastny) and our beloved Maxy.
The GOAT: I think we have to go with Hart winner Peter Forsberg, although 1980s star Peter Stastny isn’t far back.​
Other stars: Peter Bondra scored 500 goals. Peter McNab topped 800 points. Peter Zezel won every single faceoff he ever took. Peter Sidorkiewicz was an All-Star in a season where he had a record of 8-46-3. And Peter Taglianetti once tried to defend his country’s honor by bodyslamming a 500-pound wrestler on the deck of the USS Intrepid. (He failed.)​
And don’t forget: Schaefer, Ihnacak, Popovic, Douris, Worrell, Holland and Budaj.​
Remember Some Guys: Looking back at some famous first names in NHL History
We’re now ranking guys by *first* name?

Off-season can be rough. Training camp can’t start soon enough.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
We’re now ranking guys by *first* name?

Off-season can be rough. Training camp can’t start soon enough.
It's Down Goes Brown (Sean McIndoe) every thing he does is a result of being a frustrated Maple Leafs fan. He loves projects that kills days to come up with stuff nobody really cares about other than to look at, shrug and say, "Cool?".

It's entertainment for those that love schadenfreude.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00