News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part VI

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I've just realised what Adrian's twitter reminds me of:

1716301455741.png

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I don't care how you feel about Dater, he's right...

Whatever this was, he deleted it (I took a break from following sports after the "Red Wedding Weekend" of Denver sports).

I know Dater has had his struggles... I wish anyone dealing with struggles the best overcoming them. But also, there are reasons why it may be advantageous to not make your struggles painfully apparent on public platforms, something Dater clearly hasn't learned in all the years he's been a relatively high profile person on social media.

So many people in our world have struggles, I only have enough empathy to go around. Dater through his own actions put himself pretty low on my list of people to carve out space for. Hell Nichushkin is far higher on the list and he's not that high.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Whatever this was, he deleted it (I took a break from following sports after the "Red Wedding Weekend" of Denver sports).

I know Dater has had his struggles... I wish anyone dealing with struggles the best overcoming them. But also, there are reasons why it may be advantageous to not make your struggles painfully apparent on public platforms, something Dater clearly hasn't learned in all the years he's been a relatively high profile person on social media.

So many people in our world have struggles, I only have enough empathy to go around. Dater through his own actions put himself pretty low on my list of people to carve out space for. Hell Nichushkin is far higher on the list and he's not that high.
It's not really that he shouldn't be transparent about his struggles, it's the fact that he uses it as a shield to garner sympathy while he continues to behave poorly toward anyone and everyone he deems a hater. He acts all humble when it serves his purposes but displays positively zero emotional maturity or growth. If anything he's regressed, just uses social media to lash out randomly at people. One would think he'd have learned a thing or two nearly destroying his career multiple times, but...nope.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
It's not really that he shouldn't be transparent about his struggles, it's the fact that he uses it as a shield to garner sympathy while he continues to behave poorly toward anyone and everyone he deems a hater. He acts all humble when it serves his purposes but displays positively zero emotional maturity or growth. If anything he's regressed, just uses social media to lash out randomly at people. One would think he'd have learned a thing or two nearly destroying his career multiple times, but...nope.

It's that poor behavior that I would describe as "making your struggles" apparent publicly. He's showing he has not been able to overcome his demons and has no awareness about how obvious he makes it.

Reactions: Pokecheque

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm still amazed at the absolutely stunning decline of the Athletic.

I'm not sure what the true post mortem will be, but I have to believe that not ever having a price structure hurt. People don't know what the value is when they get an introductory offer of a year for 12.99, then the next year they hand you an invoice for 79.99. You decline, and they give you another offer of a year at 1.99 a month. It was crazy and then they started giving it away for free with NYT subscriptions when they sold their souls back to the devil.

Reactions: Avs91 and Balthazar

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm still amazed at the absolutely stunning decline of the Athletic.

I'm not sure what the true post mortem will be, but I have to believe that not ever having a price structure hurt. People don't know what the value is when they get an introductory offer of a year for 12.99, then the next year they hand you an invoice for 79.99. You decline, and they give you another offer of a year at 1.99 a month. It was crazy and then they started giving it away for free with NYT subscriptions when they sold their souls back to the devil.
This is the first year I'm not subscribed (because they no longer have someone to cover the Avs).

In the end though the post mortem will be people don't want to pay for stuff they can get for free. It was a bad business model, just like those subscription based online newspapers. I can get the news everywhere else for free, I'm not paying to read your newspaper.

It's very hard for traditional media to find a way to get money these days, they have to adapt to a new reality. Just like the music industry had to adapt to no longer selling CD's.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
This is the first year I'm not subscribed (because they no longer have someone to cover the Avs).

In the end though the post mortem will be people don't want to pay for stuff they can get for free. It was a bad business model, just like those subscription based online newspapers. I can get the news everywhere else for free, I'm not paying to read your newspaper.

It's very hard for traditional media to find a way to get money these days, they have to adapt to a new reality. Just like the music industry had to adapt to no longer selling CD's.
Athletic is good for some in depth deep dives via stats and whatnot, and for player stories that Baugh used to do. For actual news bits, yeah agreed.

Thankfully, that paywall is easily bypassable.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

I don't mind paying for journalism. That's where the Athletic was supposed to be going and did go with some stellar pieces. But by hiring fresh out of college journalism grads or journalists with no knowledge of the sport they were being assigned to it was all they could do to keep up with some game recaps which were stupid because they were just like, um...the Avs lost, look at these pictures Dom's computer drew.

I think Portzline actually flew to Russia when tracing Bread's road to the NHL. Flipping fantastic! Russo is always good because he actually knows the people he's covering and offers valid insights and gets real quotes.

I'm not sure if even a seasoned NHL reporter would be able to do much more with the limited kind of access the Avs give. They just don't give two flying f***s for the free publicity that a positive working relationship with people that are paid to cover your team can give. Or maybe they just have so many damn bodies in the closet they don't want anyone to ever get really close to the team.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
I don't mind paying for journalism. That's where the Athletic was supposed to be going and did go with some stellar pieces. But by hiring fresh out of college journalism grads or journalists with no knowledge of the sport they were being assigned to it was all they could do to keep up with some game recaps which were stupid because they were just like, um...the Avs lost, look at these pictures Dom's computer drew.

I think Portzline actually flew to Russia when tracing Bread's road to the NHL. Flipping fantastic! Russo is always good because he actually knows the people he's covering and offers valid insights and gets real quotes.

I'm not sure if even a seasoned NHL reporter would be able to do much more with the limited kind of access the Avs give. They just don't give two flying f***s for the free publicity that a positive working relationship with people that are paid to cover your team can give. Or maybe they just have so many damn bodies in the closet they don't want anyone to ever get really close to the team.
I'm really displeased about the Avs getting next to nothing now on there but growing up in a small city with no pro sport teams, I picked teams that were all over the place. Their Iowa Hawkeyes coverage is very good, and their beat writer is excellent. They cover the Cubs really well because they have so many fans. They cover the Lakers well because that's the one team in LA that has constant loyalty from the city (Kings are close, there's just waaaaay less hockey fans.) They actually have 2 beat writers for the SF Giants, and one is hilarious. There's still enough there for me to take advantage of the cheap subs, but it's tenuous.

As far as the Avs go, Evan really does a tremendous job and knows what the hardcore fans want. Corey Masisak is a top notch writer. I'm stubborn and I like my stuff inside apps, like The Athletic or Apple News, but I see myself subscribing to CHN next year

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm really displeased about the Avs getting next to nothing now on there but growing up in a small city with no pro sport teams, I picked teams that were all over the place. Their Iowa Hawkeyes coverage is very good, and their beat writer is excellent. They cover the Cubs really well because they have so many fans. They cover the Lakers well because that's the one team in LA that has constant loyalty from the city (Kings are close, there's just waaaaay less hockey fans.) They actually have 2 beat writers for the SF Giants, and one is hilarious. There's still enough there for me to take advantage of the cheap subs, but it's tenuous.

As far as the Avs go, Evan really does a tremendous job and knows what the hardcore fans want. Corey Masisak is a top notch writer. I'm stubborn and I like my stuff inside apps, like The Athletic or Apple News, but I see myself subscribing to CHN next year
Yeah, TMV will be my paid source of Avs journalism next season. I felt bad for not subscribing to him this year but the articles he shared here were all great stuff.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019

As an ex journalist (before law school beckoned), serious reporters don't settle for what the government/business/pro teams press agents and publicists throw out. You dig, and develop sources and talk to people for stories.Watch " All the Presidents Men" to see how it's done. It hasn't changed much for serious reporters.

Unfortunately, we are suffering thru a generation of "reporters" who confuse Twitter blasts with real reporting.

TMV is one of the good ones

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Looks like MacKinnon was making the rounds today while promoting his product.

:laugh: "So we're just having beers the beers are they're going down. Like two or three."

Yeah, Nate. Not so sure counting is your strong suit. Seriously though, I really do hope Canada plays Nate and Syd together.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

No word on if he threw a full bottle at Calle Rosen in the locker room

Love how he spends the first 45 seconds of that 52 second clip trying to rehab his image with BS, then he shows his true colors at the end, by basically saying he shouldn't have let up when he threw the bottle, and he could have made more of a scene.

He also basically says he was planning on doing something if he saw Kadri. And my read on how he said that is he was probably walking around looking for him.

Thanks for confirming you're a bitch Binnington. Tried to BS his way through that answer, but just couldn't help himself. That inner bitch is inherent to who he is.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
He also basically says he was planning on doing something if he saw Kadri. And my read on how he said that is he was probably walking around looking for him.
I would have loved to have seen that walking stick trying to find and fight Naz. Talk about a death wish. One of these days, someone will call his bluff and knock his block off. There's no way that 6'2", 160 lbs dude should be constantly looking for a fight.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad