College Hockey College Free Agent talk II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Charlie McAvoy was sobbing. He was letting it all out.
He might have made the wrong decision. Or the right one. He didn’t know. He was 19.
The weight of his choice — he had signed an amateur tryout agreement with the Bruins, leaving Boston University for good — was smacking him in the face.
“I remember how final it was,” McAvoy said, sitting at his stall in the Bruins’ dressing room at Warrior Ice Arena following Tuesday’s morning skate. “As soon as the pen touches the paper, that’s it.”
Six years ago Wednesday, and four days after the Terriers were eliminated in the NCAA West Regional final in Fargo, N.D., McAvoy departed his dorm at BU for the last time. He stopped by Bruins general manager Don Sweeney’s office, a few streets away in Brighton. Members of the equipment staff handed him his Providence gear and former travel coordinator Whitney Delorey gave him his paperwork.

McAvoy and his now-fiancee, Kiley Sullivan, made a heavy-hearted drive from Brighton to Providence. They laugh about it now, but there wasn’t much she could tell him, he recalled, as he was “crying like a baby” on the hour-long trip.

“There weren’t many assurances,” McAvoy said. “I was betting on myself to go down there and play well, and get a chance the following year.”

The defenseman’s stay wasn’t long at the Regency hotel in Providence, where he was essentially in another dorm, with Dan Vladar and another new signee, Ryan Fitzgerald. McAvoy played more games of NBA 2K on XBox (with Malcolm Subban, Rob O’Gara, and Jake DeBrusk) than he did games for the Providence Bruins (four).

His two-week stint in the minors ended when Torey Krug and Brandon Carlo were hurt. From the day he was called up for practice, on April 10, McAvoy shattered the learning curve. He made a seamless NHL debut in Game 1 of the first round of the playoffs against the Senators. He logged 24:11 and was on the ice when Brad Marchand scored the winning goal with 2:33 remaining.

“I remember not knowing if it was the right decision,” he said. “Obviously, it was. It was unfortunate with guys getting hurt. It was crazy. I remember that day, the pit in my stomach, was I doing the right thing?

“My conviction wasn’t 1,000 percent. I was obviously more than 50, so that’s why I did it. Quinny [then-BU coach David Quinn] gave me a lot of confidence. He was like, ‘You’re ready, it’s your time to go.’ He was kind of the deciding factor, him believing in me and knowing I can do it.”

Another college sophomore is in McAvoy’s shoes. Ohio State’s season is over, and 22-year-old Mason Lohrei, the Bruins’ best defensive prospect, could sign an amateur tryout agreement this week. Like McAvoy in 2017, Lohrei is a top player on a tight-knit college team who has shown his readiness for the pros. His call will be just as tough.

McAvoy, like those around him six years ago, couldn’t offer Lohrei much advice.

“It’s a tough one,” McAvoy said. “When I came in, I felt there was room for me to poke my head in and see if I could stick around. Obviously we’ve had a crazy year, with a lot of established guys. In that regard, I’m not really sure what that looks like. Maybe it means he has more time than he thinks to make a decision.

“I did it, and I had times I wished I didn’t do it, and it was a little hurdle there for a month. Then all of a sudden, I’m playing in the NHL.”

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston

Charlie McAvoy was sobbing. He was letting it all out.
He might have made the wrong decision. Or the right one. He didn’t know. He was 19.
The weight of his choice — he had signed an amateur tryout agreement with the Bruins, leaving Boston University for good — was smacking him in the face.
“I remember how final it was,” McAvoy said, sitting at his stall in the Bruins’ dressing room at Warrior Ice Arena following Tuesday’s morning skate. “As soon as the pen touches the paper, that’s it.”
Six years ago Wednesday, and four days after the Terriers were eliminated in the NCAA West Regional final in Fargo, N.D., McAvoy departed his dorm at BU for the last time. He stopped by Bruins general manager Don Sweeney’s office, a few streets away in Brighton. Members of the equipment staff handed him his Providence gear and former travel coordinator Whitney Delorey gave him his paperwork.

McAvoy and his now-fiancee, Kiley Sullivan, made a heavy-hearted drive from Brighton to Providence. They laugh about it now, but there wasn’t much she could tell him, he recalled, as he was “crying like a baby” on the hour-long trip.

“There weren’t many assurances,” McAvoy said. “I was betting on myself to go down there and play well, and get a chance the following year.”

The defenseman’s stay wasn’t long at the Regency hotel in Providence, where he was essentially in another dorm, with Dan Vladar and another new signee, Ryan Fitzgerald. McAvoy played more games of NBA 2K on XBox (with Malcolm Subban, Rob O’Gara, and Jake DeBrusk) than he did games for the Providence Bruins (four).

His two-week stint in the minors ended when Torey Krug and Brandon Carlo were hurt. From the day he was called up for practice, on April 10, McAvoy shattered the learning curve. He made a seamless NHL debut in Game 1 of the first round of the playoffs against the Senators. He logged 24:11 and was on the ice when Brad Marchand scored the winning goal with 2:33 remaining.

“I remember not knowing if it was the right decision,” he said. “Obviously, it was. It was unfortunate with guys getting hurt. It was crazy. I remember that day, the pit in my stomach, was I doing the right thing?

“My conviction wasn’t 1,000 percent. I was obviously more than 50, so that’s why I did it. Quinny [then-BU coach David Quinn] gave me a lot of confidence. He was like, ‘You’re ready, it’s your time to go.’ He was kind of the deciding factor, him believing in me and knowing I can do it.”

Another college sophomore is in McAvoy’s shoes. Ohio State’s season is over, and 22-year-old Mason Lohrei, the Bruins’ best defensive prospect, could sign an amateur tryout agreement this week. Like McAvoy in 2017, Lohrei is a top player on a tight-knit college team who has shown his readiness for the pros. His call will be just as tough.

McAvoy, like those around him six years ago, couldn’t offer Lohrei much advice.

“It’s a tough one,” McAvoy said. “When I came in, I felt there was room for me to poke my head in and see if I could stick around. Obviously we’ve had a crazy year, with a lot of established guys. In that regard, I’m not really sure what that looks like. Maybe it means he has more time than he thinks to make a decision.

“I did it, and I had times I wished I didn’t do it, and it was a little hurdle there for a month. Then all of a sudden, I’m playing in the NHL.”
Lots of honesty from Chuckie, I like it

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

Most of you would have hated Hirose so there's that...
Losing out on Polin sucks but there's still a bunch I'm high on

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
A few
Max Andreyev
Travis Mitchell
Sam Malinski
Jami Krannila
Jaxson Nelson
Ryan McAllister
Wilmer Skoog
Matt Brown
Collin Graf

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
From my limited CHL list
Ben Allison from Acadia Bathurst signed with the Wichita Thunder

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Really disappointing that we didn't land one of these kids. With no draft picks coming I would have thought we would have been aggressive.

Maybe we where.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Really disappointing that we didn't land one of these kids. With no draft picks coming I would have thought we would have been aggressive.

Maybe we where.

Well still many player left. Definitely a few we would have loved to have, but it was unrealistic to ever expect more than a couple of good players at the high end . Really wanted Livingstone though, as I think he was the only guy who can step in and take a job next year

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Boston is a probably a hard sell for these prospects. The lineup is deep and established and if the Bruins need to cut salary, there's a few underrated prospects who could potentially step up in the role next season ( Lysell, Lohrei, Lauko, Merkulov ). I would think these college kids would probably want a clearer path to the NHL when choosing teams.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Boston is a probably a hard sell for these prospects. The lineup is deep and established and if the Bruins need to cut salary, there's a few underrated prospects who could potentially step up in the role next season ( Lysell, Lohrei, Lauko, Merkulov ). I would think these college kids would probably want a clearer path to the NHL when choosing teams.
spot on reading of the Bs situation

players want to go where they can play immediately, make an impact and build a record for their next contract

right now Boston isn't that place...which for us fans isn't bad news - at least in the short term

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad