NCAA: College Football 2024: Conference Re-Malign-ment, News & Notes Talk

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Missed this yesterday.

Looks like Penn State football is back in the off-field news for the reasons you would expect.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Missed this yesterday.

Looks like Penn State football is back in the off-field news for the reasons you would expect.

Meh the players got dismissed from the team Aug 1st. No coach/team would comment in this situation.
Franklin seemingly has a 0 tolerance policy, he did similar (dismissed players for iirc the same thing) at Vandy

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Missed this yesterday.

Full disclosure I am a PSU fan and alumnus. I like to think I'm pretty even keeled despite this, I do not worship the Paterno altar, Sanduskey should rot in hell.

That being said, these players were immediately dismissed from the team and expelled. No longer part of the program. The reporter who tweeted was one of two reporters who asked these questions immediately after a statement saying there would be no comments on an ongoing legal matter, the other reporter works at the same site and runs a podcast with the first one who asked. This was intentional sensationalism, not journalism.

The response I keep seeing is "all Franklin has to do is say 'no comment' and it would be fine!" Yeah, I highly doubt that. There was literally a statement made 2 seconds beforehand, do we really think it would have been different if the person who read the statement was changed?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Full disclosure I am a PSU fan and alumnus. I like to think I'm pretty even keeled despite this, I do not worship the Paterno altar, Sanduskey should rot in hell.

That being said, these players were immediately dismissed from the team and expelled. No longer part of the program. The reporter who tweeted was one of two reporters who asked these questions immediately after a statement saying there would be no comments on an ongoing legal matter, the other reporter works at the same site and runs a podcast with the first one who asked. This was intentional sensationalism, not journalism.

The response I keep seeing is "all Franklin has to do is say 'no comment' and it would be fine!" Yeah, I highly doubt that. There was literally a statement made 2 seconds beforehand, do we really think it would have been different if the person who read the statement was changed?
He likely can’t say anything because of lawyers. But Penn State will still be beholden to a higher level of scrutiny for obvious reasons.

Reactions: Deport Ogie

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
He likely can’t say anything because of lawyers. But Penn State will still be beholden to a higher level of scrutiny for obvious reasons.

100 percent, and that's earned. In thise case though I'd say it's journo's creating a situation where there is none. Franklin can't prosecute criminals, the extent of his power in this occasion is to dismiss from the program which was done months ago when the information first came out.

I'm sure, to your point, he was advised and ordered to not say anything. The BEST we could hope for is "Those individuals are no longer part of our program and I prefer to focus on internal"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad