NCAA: College Football 2024: Conference Re-Malign-ment, News & Notes Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Big 10 totally dropped the ball by not rebranding as the ‘BIG/PAC Conference’. Could have really leaned into the East Coast/West Coast rivalry angle
They don’t have enough teams out there for something like that.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
They don’t have enough teams out there for something like that.
Ha, I was being facetious. 2Pac and Biggie were hip hop artists whose feud was emblematic of the 90s east coast / west coast rivalry. Maybe not as famous in Canada.

IMG_6274.gif

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Deathbed is a bit extreme. The Mountain West only dies if there's a reverse-merger. There's multiple FCS programs in its footprint that are of a similar quality as the FBS ones they struck out going after. There'd be an immense amount of pride swallowing for it to happen, but if it's death or paying a few million of those exit fees to bring the Montana programs up that shouldn't be a difficult decision.

Hell, the timing has never been better for Idaho to finally get that Mountain West invite they wanted so badly before being forced to drop back down. It won't happen, but Idaho athletics is in a far better place now than it's been in in decades (including beating a Mountain West team this season). Point is that there are options, even if they aren't in the FBS today.

A not small part of me would get a giant kick out of the Mountain West effectively ending up replacing what the old WAC was.
yep, just off the top of my head they can go out and bring in the 2 Montana schools, Idaho back to FBS, and 2 of the Dakota schools and as long as NDSU is one of them be no worse off for it. FCS in that region would take a big hit but that's not really their concern at this point.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If Cal and Stanford were smart they'd go running back to the Pac-12 too.
I think there's questions as to whether or not a new Pac-X could support their niche/Olympic sports. But if the ACC falls apart, they may have to.

I don't think anyone is willingly going to take a step down since the Pac-X would be a G5 conference.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I think there's questions as to whether or not a new Pac-X could support their niche/Olympic sports. But if the ACC falls apart, they may have to.

I don't think anyone is willingly going to take a step down since the Pac-X would be a G5 conference.

I get all that, but those two might as well be Go5 teams anyway, and this travel will kill them eventually. They're not Oregon or USC.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Why doesn't everyone just move to the SEC and Big 27 at this point and just get it over with? I feel like if/when the ACC implodes that will be the ultimate future of college football anyways. Then all the "peasant" schools can go and form a superconference.

Shit's awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad