Nashville Predators Talk - 2024/2025 Season

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Either way, it's mind numbing to think that they've drafted that many centers in the last 40ish or so years and had the depth they had twice in that time period. My point was, we've never sniffed a center via drafting and while it's common knowledge that's where you start building your team, our GM's have not done well in this area.

Check this out - sort on position, centers should appear first. Then sort by GP, that's interesting too.

Wow so the only true drafted center in the top 20 for us in number of games played is Legwand.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Although as we've seen in the past, the Preds tend to be good at creating self-fulfilling prophecies with these guys too... sit them for weeks, or make them walk on eggshells thinking that one little miscue will put them on the bench, and then see what happens when you throw them in to a game after that long. It might take longer than 5 games. But that's not ever going to happen. He'd be lucky to last 5 shifts, unfortunately. :(
Yeah the way we've handled Parsinnen has just been bizzare. He's played 5 minutes this season and while he had some rough plays he also had an assist. If we have that little confidence in him coming out of camp we should of just tried to see if we could get him through waivers. I can't see how him sitting in the press box and playing as the extra guy in practice is going to somehow make him better. Same goes with Tomasino to an extent too but at least he got a couple games worth of opportunities.
Would be curious to see that factoring in QoC. No doubt the 4th line has been shipping goals against, but I suspect they also may be facing stronger opponents than, say, Tomasino.
I believe Tomasino's GAs came when playing on the 4th line so not sure that QoC is the explanation. FWIW too related to the discussion in the other thread he's played 7 minutes with Novak and Evangelista and they had 1 GF and 0 GA. Incredibly small sample sizes with all of this though so tough to make any strong statement either way.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Yeah the way we've handled Parsinnen has just been bizzare. He's played 5 minutes this season and while he had some rough plays he also had an assist. If we have that little confidence in him coming out of camp we should of just tried to see if we could get him through waivers. I can't see how him sitting in the press box and playing as the extra guy in practice is going to somehow make him better. Same goes with Tomasino to an extent too but at least he got a couple games worth of opportunities.

I believe Tomasino's GAs came when playing on the 4th line so not sure that QoC is the explanation. FWIW too related to the discussion in the other thread he's played 7 minutes with Novak and Evangelista and they had 1 GF and 0 GA. Incredibly small sample sizes with all of this though so tough to make any strong statement either way.
I think part of 4th lines issue has been square peg round hole type of issue.

Tomasino isnt a match for the kind of game they play. Noone scored against the 4th line with L'Heureux there. 1 game sample size i know but Parssinen had 4 goals against in 1 game on the 4th line. That game also at one point tried 3 centers (McCarron, sissons, and Pars) with 2 of them playing out of position and not having much practice time as a line as well.

I think if Bruno put Toma and Pars in places to succeed they might but he has an idea of what he wants with the other lines.

March and Stamkos together. Stamkos shouldnt be a center and Toma isnt. Im not sure why we havent attempted Pars here but Bruno may feel like Pars isnt a NHL level center.

Forsberg, ROR, and Nyquist isnt to be messed with and Jankowski, Novak, Evangelista need to be together i guess.

Leaves the 4th line and neither Toma or Pars fit in an identity line. If Bruno is going to be inflexible, then there isnt much room for toma or pars

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Right, super small sample size. I guess I was wondering if the 4th is getting caved against superior competition or just by everyone in general so far.

Reactions: Predsanddead24

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
No cap space.
Well he already went a smidgin over the Cap bringing up L’Heureux (maybe … unless two weeks of pro-rating a couple roster spots managed to sneak under?)… so he may already just be taking the same position as Philly that Johansen is terminated. Johansen WAS terminated. It’s only if he wins his case and gets reinstated that something comes back on the Cap. (Maybe that will be pro-rated down by a month as well?)

So it’s not 100% impossible maybe that Trotz could spend more of that space. I just don’t see him doing it on Sheary who seems to be cooked?

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Right, super small sample size. I guess I was wondering if the 4th is getting caved against superior competition or just by everyone in general so far.
If you watch, they'll be out against the top line right after we're done on the PP. Outside of that, I'm not sure how those matchups are going but we scored and they came right back with an opportunity against the 4th line and I believe it was Carrier and Lauzon. If that's going to be the matchup, they'd be better served to use ZLH on PP2 and have Sissons come out after a score or PP time to match up better against the other teams first line.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I know every fanbase makes jokes about their coach refusing to play young guys but it's crossed the line of parody at this point.

Fabbro has the best xG% of any defenseman on the team! Sissons has the worst (min 40 mins ice time)! What are we doing??
I'm ready for Fabbro to find another home and blossom into a solid top 4 Dman and just skate by the preds bench with the double bird salute to Bruno.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
From 32 Thoughts:

"1. Know you love the rumours, but it is early. This is the 'we’re-still-seeing-what-we’ve-got' phase. Predators GM Barry Trotz has the second-best hockey radio hit on The Game in Nashville. On Tuesday, he told hosts Willy Daunic, Derrick Mason and Adam Vingan, “No one is trading anyone right now. I would like to get a centre, but no one is giving their centremen away.”

Two toughest things to find: a stud defender and a top centre. No more zero in the win column after Tuesday night, where they opened with Colton Sissons between Jonathan Marchessault and Steven Stamkos."

It is truly baffling to me that he would say this without even taking a look at all his internal options..

Reactions: hockey diva

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
From 32 Thoughts:

"1. Know you love the rumours, but it is early. This is the 'we’re-still-seeing-what-we’ve-got' phase. Predators GM Barry Trotz has the second-best hockey radio hit on The Game in Nashville. On Tuesday, he told hosts Willy Daunic, Derrick Mason and Adam Vingan, “No one is trading anyone right now. I would like to get a centre, but no one is giving their centremen away.”

Two toughest things to find: a stud defender and a top centre. No more zero in the win column after Tuesday night, where they opened with Colton Sissons between Jonathan Marchessault and Steven Stamkos."

It is truly baffling to me that he would say this without even taking a look at all his internal options..
That's what is blowing my mind on all of this. It's not that Parssinen tried and failed, they haven't even given him a chance to fail at the position. This smells of a coach and GM that are so in love with their boys on the 4th line that they can't even imagine sitting them.

If I was him and Tomasino I'd walk in and ask for a trade, and if I was Fabbro I wouldn't just be asking quiestly, I'd scream it from the rafters.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Thought this was hilarious
1729778011606.png

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
That's what is blowing my mind on all of this. It's not that Parssinen tried and failed, they haven't even given him a chance to fail at the position. This smells of a coach and GM that are so in love with their boys on the 4th line that they can't even imagine sitting them.

If I was him and Tomasino I'd walk in and ask for a trade, and if I was Fabbro I wouldn't just be asking quiestly, I'd scream it from the rafters.
Sometimes the disconnect between what the team sees and what we sees with youngish guys is more than on the ice. It’s practice habits, professionalism, work ethic, and related that tells them whether players can be trusted. I obviously don’t know what guys like Parsinen and Tommasino are like in these areas, but I that is often the reason some young guys earn trust while others don’t. And ultimately why they end up failing to reach their perceived potential. When Trotz dumped Duchene and RyJo he talked of the culture he was trying to create. I can’t help but think Tommasino and Parsinen (and likely Fabbro) still haven’t fully embraced what we expect from them.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Sometimes the disconnect between what the team sees and what we sees with youngish guys is more than on the ice. It’s practice habits, professionalism, work ethic, and related that tells them whether players can be trusted. I obviously don’t know what guys like Parsinen and Tommasino are like in these areas, but I that is often the reason some young guys earn trust while others don’t. And ultimately why they end up failing to reach their perceived potential. When Trotz dumped Duchene and RyJo he talked of the culture he was trying to create. I can’t help but think Tommasino and Parsinen (and likely Fabbro) still haven’t fully embraced what we expect from them.

I think this is Brunette (and previously Hynes thought process) but I don't think that necessarily makes it right. For Brunette especially I think looking at his playing career is enlightening because he had a very winding road to becoming a good player in the NHL and his work ethic is what kept him from washing out. So I think it's especially challenging for him to see talented guys who don't work as hard as he perceives that they should. I don't know if the highly punitive approach het takes works in the modern NHL and Brunette has talked previously about trying to learn to connect with the new generation of players although I can't find the article I'm thinking of.

This isn't directed at you but the bolded point still just drives me up a wall. The culture we created saw our star players give up 3 goals in 5 minutes to blow a game that could have had us take control of the Canucks series last season and get off to an 0-5 start this year. Meanwhile one of the guys we dumped because of "culture" has been one of the key pieces we're missing for one of our divisional rivals. I know Trotz has tried to revamp the culture but it's not clear to me that he has succeeded at that at all.

Last edited:

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I wonder what caliber of player we could get with our three 1sts. Lord knows we’ll never play them anywhere above 4th line so might as well go all-in..

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think that Schenn speed may have had some radio interference going on. That seems a little high. :laugh:

I'm also not buying Josi's speed compared to everyone else at all.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I've always wondered how valuable top speed truly is given how rarely you actually get the chance to hit it.. I'd think acceleration is the more important thing but much more difficult to measure.

Reactions: predfan24

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I think that Schenn speed may have had some radio interference going on. That seems a little high. :laugh:

I'm also not buying Josi's speed compared to everyone else at all.
If Josi was ever truly "fast" he isn't now. I don't know the last time he's actually recovered from being out of position defensively and broke up a play.
I've always wondered how valuable top speed truly is given how rarely you actually get the chance to hit it.. I'd think acceleration is the more important thing but much more difficult to measure.
Rate of acceleration is more important in many ways than flat out speed. Having both is nice but if I had to pick one I'd choose acceleration.

Reactions: triggrman

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I guess it depends on what you are doing. If you are going to carry or chase the puck from goal to goal, top speed might be more important. Any distance shorter than half the ice, id say acceleration personally.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
For hockey, I'd want acceleration and agility over top speed. The ability to burst past a defender, stop and start on a dime, and move laterally better than others can give you a great advantage.

I wouldn't call Nyquist fast, but he is shifty, has good hands, and a smart offensive hockey mind. This can lead to some beautiful art like plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad