Post-Game Talk: Cole's RETURN OF PLUS/MINUS: Pens/Boltzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Oh, I've made it clear, much to the disdain of a lot of people around :laugh:, that I don't care about hanging on to anybody with a white-knuckle grip. I'm fine selling off whoever, whenever. I just think when it's time to move Jake, you move him for something like Staal got (top-10 pick, good/great prospect, roster player) and then it's time to pack it up and start the dismantling. The team's not finding a better fit for Sid, or getting more production (even though I think a lot of Jake's production is empty calories, and a product of being Sid's sidecar).

I just don't think there's a snowball's chance in Hell this team moves Jake before next TDL, and if he makes it through next season with the team, he's 100% getting that $9 million AAV deal for like 6 years, along with the restrictive NTC because everybody gets one nowadays. Then you're shit outta luck as far as getting value for the guy when it's time to tear down, because he'll be 30 when his new deal kicks in, making a shitload of money, and he'll have complete control over when or where he's dealt. :laugh:

I'm all for exploring a Jake deal, I just don't think it's anywhere within the same universe of reality as this one. It just won't happen, for better or worse.

You and I are largely aligned on this one.

I'm just not sure I agree on the fit for Sid. I think Sid needs someone to do more work on his line and would benefit from that kind of player just as much as a top 5% skill/vision guy. If we ever started L1 in the defensive zone we would also see the benefit of upgrading the 2-way play as well.

In addition, though everyone sh1ts on the bottom-6 and deservedly so, our first powerplay is entirely comprised of the "elite" guys and sucks. Guentzel in particular is just there because of his stature and that he's one of the best overall players, and is in no way benefitting the results of that unit. If we could get the powerplay back to ~5th again that could more than offset, say, Zucker on L1 and either DOC on Granlund at 2LW. In addition, you get the assets to remake your team as you see fit next TDL.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You and I are largely aligned on this one.

I'm just not sure I agree on the fit for Sid. I think Sid needs someone to do more work on his line and would benefit from that kind of player just as much as a top 5% skill/vision guy. If we ever started L1 in the defensive zone we would also see the benefit of upgrading the 2-way play as well.

In addition, though everyone sh1ts on the bottom-6 and deservedly so, our first powerplay is entirely comprised of the "elite" guys and sucks. Guentzel in particular is just there because of his stature and that he's one of the best overall players, and is in no way benefitting the results of that unit. If we could get the powerplay back to ~5th again that could more than offset, say, Zucker on L1 and either DOC on Granlund at 2LW. In addition, you get the assets to remake your team as you see fit next TDL.
I think how comfortable Sid feels on a line with a guy is as much a factor in finding a good player for him as anything, tbh. :laugh: It's never been about the best player, but whoever Sid felt most comfortable with. I think Rakell does a lot of the little stuff away from the puck to help those two out a ton, and it's why I've always wanted GCRakell since he found his way onto the team.

Agree on the power play. It's a mess, and I think it's always performed the best when it had someone who could hold the puck away from Sid, Geno and Letang and dictate things like Phil or Gonchar. Everybody just defers to those guys now and they just play catch and/or try to force passes through a forest of legs and sticks to make the highlight reel play. The top PP unit is definitely made up by hierarchy. :laugh:

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I was 100% sure we were losing tonight and was fine with it. Even blowing leads didn't matter since I assumed loss, getting to ot was a bonus, a win, is bingo.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
7I2Otqk.gif

Reactions: Zirakzigil

GregR

Mar 4, 2002
So it appears the narrative from the local mopes is going to be genius Sullivan is overcoming the horrible GM'ing

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Andy99 and Lustaf

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Nice to see Petry score twice. One of the reasons I was excited about his addition was because I thought he'd add some goal scoring from the back end. It hadn't really happened this season, but hopefully tonight is the start of him getting on track.

Reactions: Andy99 and ColePens

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
His hands are fine, and he does create a lot of scoring chances with very little room. I disagree with you, he doesn't have a elite hands, but he gets the job done. He's killing it right now!
What I mean about his hands is he cannot seem to find that scoring touch he use to have when he played with the Minnesota Wild, however I looked at his stats he is having a better year than I thought. He has dealt with serious I think they where torn muscle injuries so. At least he is better when he works hard than Kapanen who was working really hard but just cannot seem to time everything together.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Nice to see Petry score twice. One of the reasons I was excited about his addition was because I thought he'd add some goal scoring from the back end. It hadn't really happened this season, but hopefully tonight is the start of him getting on track.
He hurt his arm too so he's probably just starting to feel normal again.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Tampa has been ass for most of this season. Very up and down. Too much hockey and losing a lot of depth players will do that. Also Brisebois went all JR on his team.

Yeah they kinda remind me of us. "Cup hangover, Nothing to prove, going through the motions, Country club."

Oh and a coach past his expiration date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad