Post-Game Talk: Cole's Minus/Minus Thread: The Pens duck a win to continue their impressive streak!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I want to run Zucker with Geno-Rust once Jake's back anyway, put 'em together now.

Sid's fine with Simon and Sheary. They're awful scoring line wingers, but Sid favors comfort and familiarity over skill and talent anyway. :laugh:

Simon-Sid-Sheary
Zucker-Geno-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Hornqvist
Lafferty-Blueger-Tanev

Just survive until Marino and Dumo return, basically.

And for the love of god, play Riikola you f***ing dummies.

Love the Penguins

Jun 3, 2017
What is the perspective? Enlighten me.

The perspective is that it's a long season with considerable ups and downs. For the most part the Penguins have been one of the top teams in the league and are back to playing the style that helped them win in '16 and '17, especially '16, though obviously they're a little off right now. Oh, and they have Crosby and Malkin, so all but giving up on them because of a rough patch is putting too much emphasis on short-term disappointment rather than realizing they still have a decent chance to win the Cup this year.

Reactions: LittleSpoon

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Geno should be the focus of the offense right now while he's on and Sid's not, but Sully also has to do a better job of putting guys who can cover for Sid's currently defensive struggles. Adding Sheary to that line was such an obvious mistake since it's compounding bad defense with more bad defense.

Honestly, Tanev should be tried with Sid and Zucker. Give that line a guy who can actually play defense, has the wheels to keep up, and isn't weak physically.

What about Horny?

The player that Sid doesn't want to play with.

Maybe Sid should just suck it up and play with him.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
upload_2020-2-28_18-23-7.jpeg

Hey pens fans. Just got back from the game, and here is where I sat. A lot of pens fans in Anaheim tonight. Zucker looked great, and I still can't believe Trotman played over Riikola.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think you load up on the 1st 2 lines.

Tanev HAS to be a part of that conversation.

He's f***ing perfect. Does almost all of the handwork. Will get points, but is cost-controlled.

I dont think he’s a fit in the top 6. He’ll want to carry the puck a lot and doesn’t shoot much.

Each to their own though.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
The perspective is that it's a long season with considerable ups and downs. For the most part the Penguins have been one of the top teams in the league and are back to playing the style that helped them win in '16 and '17, especially '16, though obviously they're a little off right now. Oh, and they have Crosby and Malkin, so all but giving up on them because of a rough patch is putting too much emphasis on short-term disappointment rather than realizing they still have a decent chance to win the Cup this year.
What I see is the style of play that has seen the team face plant in the playoffs. Basically a confusing mess of lines, no heart, to drive, no purpose. This is a joyless team right now. I certainly don't get the feeling invulnerability like I had in 2016.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don't think the vast majority are giving up on them, but there should be at minimum some concern here. We have been trending downward for quite some time. Even before the recent five games as it pertains to structure, turnovers, uneven performances etc.

Reactions: ncm7772

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
What about Horny?

The player that Sid doesn't want to play with.

Maybe Sid should just suck it up and play with him.

Marleau has played RW I believe (played with Sid before too). I think he’d be a better choice.

Malkin and Horny are awesome together right now

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

That's where the concern is. The Pens WERE playing like you described in the bolded about 20 games back. Ever since about the new year, the Pens have started to look more like last year's club than the 2016 Cup winning club. That's the reason for concern, because now the results are matching the regression in "advanced stats".

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Love the Penguins

Jun 3, 2017
What I see is the style of play that has seen the team face plant in the playoffs. Basically a confusing mess of lines, no heart, to drive, no purpose. This is a joyless team right now. I certainly don't get the feeling invulnerability like I had in 2016.

That 16 team was special, my favorite of the five Cup winners though they were all fantastic. That kind of invulnerability has been there at times this season but hasn't of late for sure. They've also dealt with a ridiculous amount of adversity and lack of continuity this season. But if they can regain that focus and desire they can beat any team in the league. There's still over a month to get back on track.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That 16 team was special, my favorite of the five Cup winners though they were all fantastic. That kind of invulnerability has been there at times this season but hasn't of late for sure. But if they can regain that focus and desire they can beat any team in the league. There's still over a month to get back on track.
'92 was my favorite team and very likely our best cup team. Won eleven in a row by sweeping the Hawks who came in winning eleven in a row themselves. Special team there and over coming injuries to do it..

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Think you've gotta get Rust back to Geno's RW. Zucker's fine with Sid, I don't know that I agree with everyone that despises the combo, but I do agree Zucker is tailor-made for Geno-Rust's LW. Put 'em together.

No idea who Sid's wingers are though. Marleau and Simon? Marleau and Sheary? McCann with Blueger at 3C and Lafferty at 4C?

I'm pretty married to the idea of Zucker-Geno-Rust though. That trio would be dynamite, no doubt about it in my mind.

Love the Penguins

Jun 3, 2017
That's where the concern is. The Pens WERE playing like you described in the bolded about 20 games back. Ever since about the new year, the Pens have started to look more like last year's club than the 2016 Cup winning club. That's the reason for concern, because now the results are matching the regression in "advanced stats".

I don't post much but have always enjoyed the Penguins chats because there are a lot of level-headed, knowledgeable posters here. But I have noticed more over-reaction to individual games than I used to, along with more knee-jerk negativity. No biggie, carry on.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Marleau has played RW I believe (played with Sid before too). I think he’d be a better choice.

Malkin and Horny are awesome together right now

Yeah, I like Geno's line.

The point I was trying to make in my last post was that Sid has the opportunity to play with a good winger in Horny, but he chooses not to.

I probably didn't make that clear enough.

Love the Penguins

Jun 3, 2017
'92 was my favorite team and very likely our best cup team. Won eleven in a row by sweeping the Hawks who came in winning eleven in a row themselves. Special team there and over coming injuries to do it..

Yep, and the '91 win was amazing because it was the first one for what had previously been a woebegone franchise, while I'm still distraught over what happened in '93. Great memories from all of the Cup wins.

Reactions: Ryder71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad