Post-Game Talk: Cole's Minus/Minus Thread: The Pens duck a win to continue their impressive streak!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Who needs playoffs anyway?
This time, Malkin decided it was his turn to be horrible, Crosby was better than last time but still nothing to show for it and Sully's idiotic fondness for Trotman cost us the chance to get something out of the game.
It's so annoying that PP2 tends to have structure while PP1 flies by the seat of its pants. Zucker scoring two is nice to see but generating so few chances against one of the worst defences in the NHL for a fourth time in five games is absolutely unacceptable. Gibson is good but it's not like we laid a siege on his net all game long. Just like the LA game when half of this forum claimed we played "well". I am usually relatively optimistic about the team but right now I don't see any real urgency except for about half of the game against the Caps. We are not only losing but spectacularly failing the eye test, including against teams which have nothing to play for.
Time to take matters into my own hands and place a bet for a Sharks win. If the Pens win, you know whom to thank. :)

Anya6687

Jul 12, 2015
Its a slump..move on....tb has lost 4 in a row...washington has lost 5 of there last 7 ....rather it happen now

Reactions: Trade

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I like Crosby and Sullivan but the problem is:

This is the year you can’t cater to Crosby above everyone else. You deny it has happened in the past I don’t care, bottom line Crosby gets the top minutes, the preferred linemates, the special teams positional preference, the critical faceoffs, the last minutes of the game. That can’t happen this year. This year was about Geno taking hold of this team in Sid’s absence after a terrible year. He was among the top 3 players in the league when Sid was out and he has been chomping at the bit to maintain it since Sid returned. But he’s being played like he’s #2 even though Sid is not the same player right now. Sullivan has to stop playing by old rules. This year is different. Stack Malkin’s line and let him go. Unfortunately he won’t because he has a massive ego that is getting worse and Malkin just isn’t a good old North American boy. Take that how you want to.

Sullivan’s downfall is his ego. He’s great and has a ton of attributes that we need and that have contributed incredibly to our success, but pride is a poison that has the potential to erase everything else. His weird bias for certain players is bizarre and hurts the team every game. Trotman is not an NHL player. ZAR is not an NHL player. Sheary and Simon do not belong anywhere near Crosby. Rust on his off wing to make room for Hornqvist is insane after the year Rust has had. Rust isn’t the same player. Tanev is wasted on the third line in a bizarre display of Sullivan’s attachment to plugger lines. JJ doesn’t belong anywhere near Letang. The bias to Murray and refusal to go with the best guy has resulted in Jarry losing confidence and looking average, I can’t blame him, our goalie situation is all about Sullivan hoping Murray will take back the spot instead of playing the best player. Stop catering to Crosby. Stop talking about playing your best players and do it.

Sullivan always blames the players and almost never himself. The greats don’t do that. As a player there has to be a direct line between your play and whether you get to play. When there isn’t, it breaks the confidence you have in leadership. At that point it isn’t about the best player it’s about who the coach likes. You can’t win like that. Since 2017 it’s gotten worse. Since Crosby got back it’s snowballed.

Brilliant post. If we don't make the 2nd round it is time for Sully to go. It ain't an accident that NHL coaches have short shelf lives on a given team.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
This team is no better than last years version in the end. Missing the playoffs might be a blessing. Force some actual changes amongst a pompous franchise. Sid and Geno only have a few more years of being difference makers, if that.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Rodrigues isn't any better than the half-dozen AHL/NHL tweeners we have in the organization already and Sheary is a total spazz.

In general we're not playing real crisp. Overskating pucks, passes in the skates or behind players, shots not getting through.

Sheary is Simon with one extra gear, a better shot, but less playmaking ability. It is still very early, but it looks like we gave up Kahun, and in turn Maatta, for nothing.

I like Rodrigues wheels though, and prefer him over ZAR because of that.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Zucker was a nice addition

Marleau is 50

Sheary is a bum

Rodrigues is an AHL player

not a good TD for the old man

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Where are all of the Sullivan for coach of the year posters?

Mike Bylsma is a jackass

The Kahun trade was awful at the time and somehow looks even worse so far.

They better get their **** together asap, because pretty soon they will be fighting for a wildcard spot.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Why wouldn’t you get defensive help at the deadline is beyond me. Even with players coming back from injury, you know another one is going to go down.

Trotman over Riikola really?
JFC, I’m glad I don’t stay up to watch these games and just skim them in the mornings.

this team is trash right now.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I’m a big Sullivan fan, but he made an atrocious decision last night to dress Trotman and it proved costly as hell.

Trotman definitely had panic issues and threw pucks to Duck players that directly lead to two goals.

When your team is struggling and stuck in a losing streak, you don’t dress an AHLer over a guy that was your best blueliner the game before.

That was an extremely negligent decision that cost his team the game.

Whatever his weird issue is with Riikola, he better get over it in a hurry.

Putting a team with a season long losing streak behind the 8 ball before the puck is dropped is asinine.

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
They have Abylsma Part DUH ! Play ZAR no matter how bad he plays, play Trotman even though he is a AHL D Man. Play him with DUHwedel to make it even better, ran Kahun out so they trade for the Ice Follies Star Conor Sheary, Rust has become the other half of the little girl with the curl. 2 best players wanted Ryan Reaves so GMJR trades for him & Abylsma Part DUH from the get go didn't want him & tried to play Reaves on the PK !you have got to be shitting me. Burkle & Mario have to have a meeting with that egomaniac & have a come to Jesus moment with him & tell him this team flames out it is on you

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
Why wouldn’t you get defensive help at the deadline is beyond me. Even with players coming back from injury, you know another one is going to go down.

Trotman over Riikola really?
JFC, I’m glad I don’t stay up to watch these games and just skim them in the mornings.

this team is trash right now.
for Christ Sakes Abylsma Part DUH ! would play Trotman over whoever they got anyways

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I wonder what has to happen before Sullivan tries Tanev in the top six to help spark things.

It’s so bizarre right now that he’s married him to TB.

He keeps rotating through the same options that aren’t working that well and I don’t understand the hesitation to give Tanev a whirl in the top six.

His game seems to suit exactly what Malkin and Crosby need flanking them right now.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I’m a big Sullivan fan, but he made an atrocious decision last night to dress Trotman and it proved costly as hell.

Trotman definitely had panic issues and threw pucks to Duck players that directly lead to two goals.

When your team is struggling and stuck in a losing streak, you don’t dress an AHLer over a guy that was your best blueliner the game before.

That was an extremely negligent decision that cost his team the game.

Whatever his weird issue is with Riikola, he better get over it in a hurry.

Putting a team with a season long losing streak behind the 8 ball before the puck is dropped is asinine.

Watching a guy live is obviously the purest way to evaluate a talent. I have seen Riikola live 8 times this year and I always find myself focusing on him because I think he does really good things but seems to get jumped by inferior defensemen. I see no real discernible weakness in his game. He can skate and has a decently strong base. He has the ability to move the puck. He will throw a hit to separate a guy from the puck. He effectively uses his body along the boards. He has an active stick.

What is he missing? He can get bullied in front of the net. He can get roasted by guys who can use their edges really well (though I think it's just the element of surprise and he isn't expecting it). He can second guess passes and in turn telegraph where he's going. To me, 90% of his issues are reps and familiarity. I see nothing physically wrong with the guy. He needs time and he needs a steady partner with steady mins. Sully's aversion to him is borderline bizarre.

It's really getting to the point where I'd like the guy to be traded because he's getting a raw deal here, and I think he has a better than 50/50 shot to be an every day defenseman for another team.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens D went south with Marino out. Dumo is a big hit so playing 3rd pair guys up just hurts the D. Sully has been no help with his pairings and cost them two games at least. Slump aside, Pens are not playing nearly as well and the wear and tear is showing as well. But Sid and Geno hopefully can ramp it up and get things turned around. TDL was spotty but it is what it is. Marleau was not my choice and said so but still put him on Malkins LW and see if that drives things. Sherry is so limited and Rodriguez has some speed and can help 4th line I guess. Pens miss the playoffs and I think a change is needed to retool the talent.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
So many things wrong right now:

- Sid hasn’t been good since his return. His defense has been atrocious.
- Sheary is Sheary from 17-18. Sucks. Never thought I’d say this, but Simon is better.
- Rust has come back to Earth (although that was expected, and I don’t think he’s playing bad).
- Bottom 6 has been completely invisible. Marleau hasn’t looked great. Rodrigues can’t win a face off. Even Tanev looks off the past couple games.
- Literally can’t think of any bright spot on the D corps right now. That includes the Golden Boy, aka #50. Although I agree, he needs to be in the lineup right now.
- PP is butt.
- PK is butt.
- Neither Murray nor Jarry are lighting the world on fire right now. With that being said, I refuse to blame either goalie, because they both stole games when this poor play started in January.
- This team shows NO urgency. Even against Washington, which for some reason a lot of people act like they were outstanding that game.

I don’t wanna stay up till 0130 again tonight, but I’m so curious as to what they’re gonna do.

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
So many things wrong right now:

- Sid hasn’t been good since his return. His defense has been atrocious.
- Sheary is Sheary from 17-18. Sucks. Never thought I’d say this, but Simon is better.
- Rust has come back to Earth (although that was expected, and I don’t think he’s playing bad).
- Bottom 6 has been completely invisible. Marleau hasn’t looked great. Rodrigues can’t win a face off. Even Tanev looks off the past couple games.
- Literally can’t think of any bright spot on the D corps right now. That includes the Golden Boy, aka #50. Although I agree, he needs to be in the lineup right now.
- PP is butt.
- PK is butt.
- Neither Murray nor Jarry are lighting the world on fire right now. With that being said, I refuse to blame either goalie, because they both stole games when this poor play started in January.
- This team shows NO urgency. Even against Washington, which for some reason a lot of people act like they were outstanding that game.

I don’t wanna stay up till 0130 again tonight, but I’m so curious as to what they’re gonna do.

Simon Blows too, He is where offense goes to die , Marleau wasn't brought here to be great! he was brought in to add depth & Leadership, OOOOPS there is that word again. Leadership & I know Marleau isn't the player he once was but GMJR specifically mentioned he brings leadership & then quickly covered his tracks by saying we have good leadership in the room ? Really?? Sid Yapping at Getzlaf, Sid Yapping at the Ref. Geno screaming at the Ref who had already gave Getzlaf an extra 2 minutes for yapping at him So Genius Geno doesn't know to STFU. Yes it was a horrible call on Geno the guy was holding his stick. But you know the Ref has already nailed a player for an extra 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad