Cole Perfetti RFA contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whis

Jul 1, 2016
Cole, just do a 6x6.5-7 and guarantee yourself some security and then you will be a UFA at 29 for one last big ticket.

Reactions: Teppo Numenor

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
3x3 or 5x5.
Pinto got 2x3.75 but Cole is supposed to take 3x3? Less than zero chance He would take 3x3

Hilarious how this team slobbers all over anyone that doesn’t want to be here trying so hard to make them want to stay. But any good player that wants to stay the Jets grind for every penny.

If I was Cole I would take a two year deal then take two qualifying offers in a row and be a UFA at 26 and go somewhere I am appreciated.

Cole, just do a 6x6.5-7 and guarantee yourself some security and then you will be a UFA at 29 for one last big ticket.
That would be fair for both sides I think.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Pinto got 2x3.75 but Cole is supposed to take 3x3? Less than zero chance He would take 3x3

Hilarious how this team slobbers all over anyone that doesn’t want to be here trying so hard to make them want to stay. But any good player that wants to stay the Jets grind for every penny.

If I was Cole I would take a two year deal then take two qualifying offers in a row and be a UFA at 26 and go somewhere I am appreciated.

That would be fair for both sides I think.
I was never sold on Drafting Cole. Below average skater and too soft ruins his sweet hands/playmaking for me. Pinto gets abit more dough because he is bigger and a right shot. Plus he's going to be a center. Cole is still kinda up in air.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
The fact you think the Jets did something wrong with Copp completely negates you from being credible. I'm sorry. The Jets were 100% in the right and I don't see how that is even debatable. Would you honestly take copp at his aav for free right now? That's insane.

About as insane as paying Pionk $5.875 million.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
About as insane as paying Pionk $5.875 million.
That's hindsight talking

At the time of the signing, people were very positive about the contract

His play has fallen off the past two years, but he played quite well in his forst couple of seasons here

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Do you remember when Copp had his nice 25 point season in 69 games,, higher than Lowry or Roslovic, +20 and a 5 point playoff series against St. Louis, while Ehlers had nothing but 0s and a - in that series? Went to arbitration and the Jets absolutely lowballed him, I think to get back at KO for forcing Trouba out of here. Just like they sent Copp to the minors to start the year Trouba held out. But that was the time to sign him long term. To the same kind of contract that the Jets just gave Nino. Fans will turn on Copper because they got shiny new toys out of him, and he got paid more than he was worth as a UFA. But he was definitely a good player here that Chevy lowballed, and I stand by that statement, I hope Chevy doesn't try to lowball Perfetti to the point where he takes the easy route out, because he isn't valued. Your opinion of my opinion is meaningless, thank you.
I liked what Copp brought to the team. A small sample isn't everything, he was expendable complementary piece. The Jets made a good evaluation and knew what they had. The Wings gave him the contract Copp wanted. Now they are paying for what you thought Copp was when he is worth what the Jets thought. $5.6m for 33 points. That says it all. Copp is a player you can use to be the 3rd best player on a line. You pay the other two guys to make him look good.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240901_111746_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240901_111746_Chrome.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 7

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I liked what Copp brought to the team. A small sample isn't everything, he was expendable complementary piece. The Jets made a good evaluation and knew what they had. The Wings gave him the contract Copp wanted. Now they are paying for what you thought Copp was when he is worth what the Jets thought. $5.6m for 33 points. That says it all. Copp is a player you can use to be the 3rd best player on a line. You pay the other two guys to make him look good.
I agree that Copp was best as a 3rd line player, well not quite what you said, but he stepped up on the 2nd line more than once here, and he definitely stepped up in New York, to get such a good trade value in return. The Jets are paying Iafallo almost $4 million to replace his defensive prowess so in terms of value Detroit didn't do that bad. There was a good discussion, I thought, about whether Copp was a better 3C than Lowry in his time, and there was a strong argument there...He did relatively well centering Laine and Ehlers before the Stastny trade. I think we tend to believe that those players are easily replaceable parts. But I'm not so sure they are. The contract though is a little on the high side, without a doubt, but his playoff performance earned it. Picked a good time to have his best season. Chevy won that trade so it definitely softens the blow of losing a good player. I think he will recalibrate to a 40 point 3rd line player, top penalty killer with the Wings over the course of that contract as more talent comes through the Red Wings pipeline, and the contract won't look as bad as it did last season.

Let's hope Chevy gets Perfetti's next contract before training camp. The numbers can't be that far apart. Maybe he wants Copp value?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I agree that Copp was best as a 3rd line player, well not quite what you said, but he stepped up on the 2nd line more than once here, and he definitely stepped up in New York, to get such a good trade value in return. The Jets are paying Iafallo almost $4 million to replace his defensive prowess so in terms of value Detroit didn't do that bad. There was a good discussion, I thought, about whether Copp was a better 3C than Lowry in his time, and there was a strong argument there...He did relatively well centering Laine and Ehlers before the Stastny trade. I think we tend to believe that those players are easily replaceable parts. But I'm not so sure they are. The contract though is a little on the high side, without a doubt, but his playoff performance earned it. Picked a good time to have his best season. Chevy won that trade so it definitely softens the blow of losing a good player. I think he will recalibrate to a 40 point 3rd line player, top penalty killer with the Wings over the course of that contract as more talent comes through the Red Wings pipeline, and the contract won't look as bad as it did last season.

Let's hope Chevy gets Perfetti's next contract before training camp. The numbers can't be that far apart. Maybe he wants Copp value?
i liked Copp a lot when he was here, and agree whenever he was placed in the top-6 the top-6 line did really well. stastny-copp-ehlers was extremely good in the CDN Division year and solid the following year. like you said the couple weeks prior to the TDL in 2018 and i think one of his performance not as talked about was 18-19 b/w rookies lemieux and appleton.

he was top-10 in fwd scoring his UFA year iirc, he was going to get paid. although he was really good for us, he's not some elite irreplaceable talent. namestnikov as far as a "jack of all trades" player can fulfill that versatile utility role pretty well. solid in the top-6 or bottom-6.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012

Using Iafallo is a pretty weak example to try and prop up Copp. He's not a Chevy contract or even replacing Copp on the 3rd line.. He just a guy the Kings added to the trade who had a somewhat high contract. I have my doubts that the trade was hanging on Iafallo being in it.

Anyway. You can't keep everyone. If it costs over $5m for Copp Chevy handled him perfectly.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
6x$6.5 aav could look like a steal in a couple of years.

Cole gets life altering $39M, and Jets get some cost certainty with a young player likely to break out with 60+ points next year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Using Iafallo is a pretty weak example to try and prop up Copp. He's not a Chevy contract or even replacing Copp on the 3rd line.. He just a guy the Kings added to the trade who had a somewhat high contract. I have my doubts that the trade was hanging on Iafallo being in it.

Anyway. You can't keep everyone. If it costs over $5m for Copp Chevy handled him perfectly.
As it turns out Chevy played the Copp situation just about perfectly. Maximize a player’s years under team control with team friendly contracts. Get a very nice return on him as a pending UFA and then let another team overpay him for his declining UFA years. Now we have 1 now player and potential 2 top of the line up players on the edge of being ready and maybe a future goalie.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
As it turns out Chevy played the Copp situation just about perfectly. Maximize a player’s years under team control with team friendly contracts. Get a very nice return on him as a pending UFA and then let another team overpay him for his declining UFA years. Now we have 1 now player and potential 2 top of the line up players on the edge of being ready and maybe a future goalie.
Yeah, sometimes it's good to take the RFA years and move on. Those UFA contracts are a big decision. Teams get attached to their guys. Plenty of guys like Copp do their best work in their contract years. You need to do proper evaluation on these soon to be UFAs. Are they that guy who was pacing as a 54 point center? Is that sustainable for the coming years? How many of those points was Copp driving? How many of those points was a guy like Ehlers driving for him?

Perfetti seems like a Chevy guy. He's just a difficult evaluation because of how inconsistent he has been. Is he that guy who scored 29 points in 40 games and improving? Is he closer to the guy who had 9 points in 31 and there is something he needs to overcome? There is a vast space of anything in between. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to come to an agreement on a 2 year contract. Maybe its a long term contract that is holding this up. If they can't figure that out I'm sure a 2 year contract will happen before camp.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So Perfetti is in town doing informal skates with his team mates and is scheduled to represent the Jets next week in LV for the NHL media tour. You'd think the way it is setting up that something on the contract front will be announced soon. Does Chevy really want to have him field questions about an uncertain contract status, over being able to pump the organization with a new long term deal? Just my opinion, but I think/hope a long term contract will be announced soon.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
So Perfetti is in town doing informal skates with his team mates and is scheduled to represent the Jets next week in LV for the NHL media tour. You'd think the way it is setting up that something on the contract front will be announced soon. Does Chevy really want to have him field questions about an uncertain contract status, over being able to pump the organization with a new long term deal? Just my opinion, but I think/hope a long term contract will be announced soon.

It would be a positive way to kick things off if Chevy managed to find a way to agree to a long term contract. That’s for sure.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Yeah, sometimes it's good to take the RFA years and move on. Those UFA contracts are a big decision. Teams get attached to their guys. Plenty of guys like Copp do their best work in their contract years. You need to do proper evaluation on these soon to be UFAs. Are they that guy who was pacing as a 54 point center? Is that sustainable for the coming years? How many of those points was Copp driving? How many of those points was a guy like Ehlers driving for him?

Perfetti seems like a Chevy guy. He's just a difficult evaluation because of how inconsistent he has been. Is he that guy who scored 29 points in 40 games and improving? Is he closer to the guy who had 9 points in 31 and there is something he needs to overcome? There is a vast space of anything in between. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to come to an agreement on a 2 year contract. Maybe its a long term contract that is holding this up. If they can't figure that out I'm sure a 2 year contract will happen before camp.

I agree with what you’re saying re: difficulty in evaluating. That’s the risk-reward component with going long term vs bridge in these situations. Personally, I think a careful evaluation of his progression from 2022-23 to 2023-24 and the factors that played out last year (the point of this post isn’t to start a big coaching debate, but rather just to point to the facts): games played, games in the box, minutes played per game and usage not always in a top-6 role, and amount of PP minutes… combined with his current age and age at the time… I think the benefits outweigh the risks and Cole will be a great top 6 player with lots of upside

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
For me the whole thing that made me feel good about the situation is when arbitration wasn't elected. To me that says that both parties are feeling good about negotiations. I'm not really worried about the contract or negotiations

Reactions: ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

My guess is it's extremely close to being finalized. They wouldn't be sending him next week if it wasn't. He also wouldn't agree to go.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
For me the whole thing that made me feel good about the situation is when arbitration wasn't elected. To me that says that both parties are feeling good about negotiations. I'm not really worried about the contract or negotiations

Arbitration wasn't an option as Perfetti doesn't have arbitration rights yet.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad