Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
We only have a 2nd, a 5th, a 6th and a 7th in 2025.

We only have a 1st, a 3rd, and a 5th in 2026.

In the next two drafts, we have less picks than one normal draft class (we have 7 picks, but two fifths rather than a fourth and a fifth). We're more likely to trade more picks than we acquire in the next two years too.

We desperately need the real prospects we have, Cowan, Grebenkin, Minten, Niemela and Danford to hit.

Cowan, Minten and Grebenkin contributing on the cheap in our middle six would be so, so huge to helping this team get over the hump.

I really wish Cowan could play in the AHL this season. Give him forty games there, call him up once an injury occurs, and try to have him ready for the playoffs would be ideal for his development, and our team this year.
I wouldn’t be too worried. Really can’t see Kampf and Jarnkrok staying on the team before the next draft, they can return a few. Robertson as well if he still wants out.

I think liljegren is on a short leash here too. If he can’t play consistent top 4 minutes, then I think we trade him before next draft as well. And if he can play top 4, that’s one position we don’t have to use draft picks to fill at the deadline.

Could be a few other minor players that return late draft picks. We aren’t in a terrible situation for a contending team.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Minten looked really good, wouldn’t surprise me if he cracks the opening night roster again. Especially with our lack of center depth. Would be huge if he came in and took that 3C spot.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Minten looked really good, wouldn’t surprise me if he cracks the opening night roster again. Especially with our lack of center depth. Would be huge if he came in and took that 3C spot.
Would probably mean we lose one of Holmberg or Dewar to waivers

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Reactions: horner

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think Webber is going to surprise a lot of people
He looked really good against the habs
What is his background
How did we get him
What is his projection as an nhler

I think his projectable ceiling is an Hal Gill kind of defenseman. Big, tall and strong, excels at shot blocking and breaking up plays defensively but struggles with the puck and making plays. Skating seems fine.

Reactions: TMLAM34

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Would probably mean we lose one of Holmberg or Dewar to waivers
To be honest, I don’t see how both those players make the bottom six at the same time. It’ll probably be one or the other if Kampf or Jarnkrok aren’t moved.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Robertson - Tavares - Marner
Pacioretty - Minten/Dewar/Holmberg - Nylander
McMann - Kampf - Jarnkrok

It’s a little expensive but I actually love the idea of a 4th line of McMann - Kampf - Jarnkrok. Fast, big, good defensively, solid on the forecheck, decent offensively and really good in the faceoff circle.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I think Webber is going to surprise a lot of people
He looked really good against the habs
What is his background
How did we get him
What is his projection as an nhler

He looked good at what he is good at and bad at what he is bad at... he looked as expected.

If they can make him only make simple plays and refine his puck skills a little, he could be an NHL D.

Right now he looks like a project.

Chadwick was someone who surprised me, he looked really good, I think he has a lot of potential.

Niemela didn't surprise me but was our best D.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He looked good at what he is good at and bad at what he is bad at... he looked as expected.

If they can make him only make simple plays and refine his puck skills a little, he could be an NHL D.

Right now he looks like a project.

Chadwick was someone who surprised me, he looked really good, I think he has a lot of potential.

Niemela didn't surprise me but was our best D.

5 points in the two games if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
5 points in the two games if I'm not mistaken.

Ya, he just plays the game like a pro... he's impressive.

I don't think he is NHL ready, but he is pretty close and is by far our best D prospect.

Chadwick impressed me a lot though, I think he processed the game well, made good decisions both offensively and defensively, and has some good tools too.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ya, he just plays the game like a pro... he's impressive.

I don't think he is NHL ready, but he is pretty close and is by far our best D prospect.

Chadwick impressed me a lot though, I think he processed the game well, made good decisions both offensively and defensively, and has some good tools too.

I think it's probable he is ready for a couple of games this season, and then the year after he should be trying to break into the lineup. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in pre-season games, and whatever call ups he has.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Steeves - Minten - Nylander (AHL)
Grebenkin - L. Shaw (AHL) - Blandisi (AHL)
Abruzzese - Lorentz (PTO) - Tverberg
Clifford (AHL) - Quillan - Hirvonen
ex. Mastrosimone (AHL) - Solow (AHL) - Pare
Voit - Kressler

Rifai - Niemela
Webber - Myers
Mermis - Timmins
ex. Kokkonen - Villeneuve
Pietroniro (AHL) - Mattinen
Miller (AHL)

Hildeby
Akhtyamov
ex. Murray
Peksa
Pretty exciting looking Marlies team, but with this depth I see them letting Grebenkin play back in Russia and dumping Timmins rather than letting him take up a spot better invested in Villeneuve and some of the other extra Dmen.

Someone on the main roster (Kampf or Jarnkrok) needs to go to make some room in the system and also would be nice to recoup some draft capital, however unexciting the returns might be

He's an NHLer, definitely a good #6 for someone depending on how the rest of your roster is structured but secondary offense is there with him, durability is an issue.
His problem is his durability and ability to stay healthy long enough to get some comfort level going, otherwise Phoenix wouldn't have dumped him off to us to begin with as he's definitely good enough for their top 6

Reactions: notdoneyet

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
NCAA Free Agent signing.
Boston University - Defensive D man, third pairing is likely as his ceiling. Best Defensive Defenceman in Hockey East

What the Toronto Maple Leafs are getting in Cade Webber
I disagree sorry
I think this kid has too 4 potential
He shut down everything against the jabs lineup
Always took his man
Cleared the front
Closed the gaps well
You can tell he is going to be an elite defensive dman

Reactions: The Iceman

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I disagree sorry
Always took his man
Cleared the front
Closed the gaps well
He thread the needle pretty well through two D and the crease on the one goal, too.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I disagree sorry
Always took his man
Cleared the front
Closed the gaps well
I love your enthusiasm, and hope you are correct. That would be an amazing situation for our Leafs... It was just a prospect pre-season game though.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
I love your enthusiasm, and hope you are correct. That would be an amazing situation for our Leafs... It was just a prospect pre-season game though.
I realize it’s prospect game but Hans had some big strong young guys there and strength wise and smarts wise he dominated at times.

I hope I’m right too.
I’m not saying this year but I believe if we give him the tools to succeeed he will deliver beyond our expectations

You can tell he takes pride in defending in his own end

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He thread the needle pretty well through two D and the crease on the one goal, too.

Outside of that, his passing was bad, his decision-making was worse, and defensively he gets lost.

He has a long way to go.

I disagree sorry
Always took his man
Cleared the front
Closed the gaps well

IQ and puck skills are lacking... he blocks shots like a goalie and is big, those are his strengths.

He has athletic ability and a lot of potential, but I think he is a project and a couple years away (if he makes it at all), he has some work.

He takes pride defending his own end because he struggles everywhere else.

What worries me too is he seems lost defensively sometimes, so even defending he struggles at time.

If he was 6'3 no one would care about him.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Outside of that, his passing was bad, his decision-making was worse, and defensively he gets lost.

He has a long way to go.

IQ and puck skills are lacking... he blocks shots like a goalie and is big, those are his strengths.

He has athletic ability and a lot of potential, but I think he is a project and a couple years away (if he makes it at all), he has some work.

He takes pride defending his own end because he struggles everywhere else.

What worries me too is he seems lost defensively sometimes, so even defending he struggles at time.

If he was 6'3 no one would care about him.
Yeah, you might be right.
I’m just pointing out a nice skill play. I do this occasionally because most NHLers, even the fringiesf ones, and most AHLers have actual unbelievable skills, and message boards cut into people hard.
I’m no scout. But one thing is certain, in this market it’s a double uphill battle for any defense prospect to get a fair shake.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I’m just pointing out a nice skill play. I do this occasionally because most NHLers, even the fringiesf ones, and most AHLers have actual unbelievable skills, and message boards cut into people hard.
I’m no scout. But one thing is certain, in this market it’s a double uphill battle for any defense prospect to get a fair shake.

Yeah, based on 2 games ..., unless you actually followed all the NCAA schools, every evaluation is premature.

I'm sure we'll have some claim they followed his school ... and Russia doesn't have bots!

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

I see potential in him, I think he has a lot things going for him.

I think they need to work on limiting his plays, just meaning that he should probably be looking for the simple play 99% of the time.

He skates well, has some athleticism and he's big, he has some things going for him.

I think positionally he was pretty bad, but I think that is also something he can work on and it was only a random prospect game, but he looked out of position in most clips I saw at the college level too.

I think his upside is a #5/6 stay at home guy, which has its place and can be useful, just not super high on him.

Like I said before, Chadwick and Niemela looked great, I am going to pay a lot more attention to Chadwick now, I think he has real potential.

Yeah, based on 2 games ..., unless you actually followed all the NCAA schools, every evaluation is premature.

I'm sure we'll have some claim they followed his school ... and Russian doesn't have bots!

From all his highlights he looked like a goalie, both handling the puck and blocking shots.

What is the amount of time needed to see his passing is off or his puck skills in general are not great and he often makes bad plays?

I was more impressed with him during the prospect games than the NCAA clips I saw.

There is NHL potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad