Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Can't compare Perfetti to Scheifele because one is a center and one is a winger, center's usually get more cash. How about compare him to Connor, Connor in his second year had 31 goals and 57 points, third year he had 34 goals and 66 points.

I don't believe anyone has him making 7.75 million on a 7 year deal which would be the same contract KC got with today's cap. No one is arguing for Mark Cash either, people are just saying being down on him is silly as his production is reasonable given his age and usage.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
And that’s why you don’t put the same weight into year one as you do year 3 like you are doing.

You are focusing exclusively on ELC years. Try looking at D+X years and age.

Namestnikov and Perfetti had nearly identical points per 60 at 5v5 last year. Should they have the same contract?

It doesn't work that way and you know it.

In D+3 Namestnikov played in the AHL.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
You are focusing exclusively on ELC years. Try looking at D+X years and age.

It doesn't work that way and you know it.

In D+3 Namestnikov played in the AHL.

I agree it doesn’t work that way. That’s why Pinto’s contract is totally irrelevant in this negotiation.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Can't compare Perfetti to Scheifele because one is a center and one is a winger, center's usually get more cash. How about compare him to Connor, Connor in his second year had 31 goals and 57 points, third year he had 34 goals and 66 points.

And Connor then signed a LT deal that made him 2nd or 3rd highest paid Jet at the time. Or was it higher? He is still 3rd highest paid going into the 6th season of that contract.

Are there really that many cap issues? A six year deal between 5.5M and 6M is right in line with his comparable as I see it, and shouldn’t be an issue cap wise.

What makes you think that offer was not already rejected?

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Connor had 57 points in his draft +4 year and 66 points in his draft +5. He signed a year later than Perfetti as he came out of college.
And his defensive numbers and horrific compared to Perfetti.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree it doesn’t work that way. That’s why Pinto’s contract is totally irrelevant in this negotiation.

It isn't irrelevant if Perfetti's camp says it is. If that is what they are holding out for then it is entirely relevant.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think you're reading too much into it

I don't suspect Perfetti is ever going to be a top 35 offensive player (although it wouldn't blow me away either). I just wonder how many thought 55 was a dud after 3 years.
not at all. you're the one that posted all these numbers how he is like scheifele, then said there's a a lot factors that going into it making difficult, then continuously on an and on posting un-contextualized comparisons with scheifele and whatnot.

anyway, we'll see if by the end of next year if Perfetti is a budding top-10 C like scheifele was thought of, i hope so 🤞 b/c that would be the best for the Jets.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
not at all. you're the one that posted all these numbers how he is like scheifele, then said there's a a lot factors that going into it making difficult, then continuously on an and on posting un-contextualized comparisons with scheifele and whatnot.

anyway, we'll see if by the end of next year if Perfetti is a budding top-10 C like scheifele was thought of, i hope so 🤞 b/c that would be the best for the Jets.
Completely missing the point, but that's fine.

You understand that if Perfetti doesn't turn into a top 10 center, there's still a good chance he's worth keeping, right?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Completely missing the point, but that's fine.

You understand that if Perfetti doesn't turn into a top 10 center, there's still a good chance he's worth keeping, right?
yeah? not sure exactly how you gathered i want him off the team, b/c i never said he should be traded. i've said i think they should find a deal to sign him long-term multiple times in this thread. i guess good attempt of deflecting?

the problem is people on this forum get butt-hurt when they don't think perfetti's shit dont stink or he's not the second coming of some of the elite players in the nhl.

you're the one over-and-over posting these stats to posters, and making comparisons how he is or close to scheifele. so i will take the path of "we shall see" if he ends up in the similar tier of player as scheifele was by the end of 15-16.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That's why he got north of $7 M AAV on a long term deal, which would now be over $8 M in terms of cap hit.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
yeah? not sure exactly how you gathered i want him off the team, b/c i never said he should be traded. i've said i think they should find a deal to sign him long-term multiple times in this thread. i guess good attempt of deflecting?

the problem is people on this forum get butt-hurt when they don't think perfetti's shit dont stink or he's not the second coming of some of the elite players in the nhl.

you're the one over-and-over posting these stats to posters, and making comparisons how he is or close to scheifele. so i will take the path of "we shall see" if he ends up in the similar tier of player as scheifele was by the end of 15-16.
He is similar to Scheifele. After his first three years.

If you don't want him jettisoned, than I guess we aren't arguing, are we?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
why stop at connor?
in mark stone's draft+4 year he had 8 pts
in panarin's draft+4 year he had 0 pts 🤯

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don't believe anyone has him making 7.75 million on a 7 year deal which would be the same contract KC got with today's cap. No one is arguing for Mark Cash either, people are just saying being down on him is silly as his production is reasonable given his age and usage.
I'm not down on Perfetti at all, i think he's a very smart player that is going to help the Jets get better but i also see a small player that needs to get a little faster . If Perfetti can get just a little faster with his skating he would be a homerun of a draft pick.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
He is similar to Scheifele. After his first three years.

If you don't want him jettisoned, than I guess we aren't arguing, are we?
The difference between Cole and Schief is that due to going back to junior for a year, Schief ended his ELC after his D+5 year whereas Cole ended his afrer his D+4

It was that D+5 year that schief broke out for 61 points in 71 games. That's why he got the deal he did. Had he needed to sign his second deal after his D+4 (like Cole), he would have had similar value to what Cole has now

TL/DR: schief earned his big deal long term deal in his last year of his ELC. Cole did not earn a big long term deal in the last year of his ELC

Last edited:

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
The difference between Cole and Schief is that due to going back to junior for a year, Schief ended his ELC after his D+5 year whereas Cole ended his afrer his D+4

It was that D+5 year that schief broke out for 61 points in 71 games. That's why he got the deal he did. Had he needed to sign his second deal after his D+4 (like Cole), he would have had similar value to what Cole has now

TL/DR: schief earned his big deal long term deal in his last ELC. Cole did not earn a big long term deal in the last year of his ELC

He didn’t earn the short term deal he’s asking for either.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Sounds to me like they are really counting the pennies in this deal -
Is it possible that the Jets are not as high on Perfetti and many around here are?
Are there concerns with this ability to stay healthy, his stamina, his size, his speed? Maybe it isn't all about comps / production up to this point.

This won't be popular but why would the Jets fret over a gap that looks to be around $500K if the player is anything close to what he is sometimes described around here as?
Sounds like the Jets are also concerned about a bridge number that shouldn't really worry the org too much - I thought there might be concerns with a longer term deal at this point - but the bridge money we're taking over two years?
I was thinking at one time that the Jets would go as high as $4M on a 2yr bridge - now I'm really wondering what is going on here.
Because Chipman/Chevy want to save every cent possible on the Salary Cap. This way they can afford to add salary in a deadline trade. In return they’ll lose a 1st round pick for a player that won’t re-sign with Winnipeg next July. And inevitably lose in 1st round of playoffs. Rinse/repeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad